Academy buying frenzy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I think more of an argument that the people have against the banning of ANY ammunition is that it is your constitution right to be able to defend yourself (in so many words). Well just like the argument made that attempting to and restricting citizens from possessing magazines that hold more than a specific number of rounds is unconstitutional if not only the criminals are not restricted and it puts the citizen at a disadvantage and therefore unable to properly and equally defend themselves against said criminals... But also at a disadvantage against a possible tyrannical government where we may indeed need to form up as a militia.

The every day firearm conscious citizen is at a huge disadvantage should our government decide to change things. Maybe not against law enforcement, but definitely against military level weapons and capabilities.

Couldn't we already make an argument that even in our current level of capabilities as citizens, we are at a tremendous disadvantage as a militia against the powers that be?

My question is... Are these changes being made in preparation for changes that may be made before 2018 that may cause the citizens to revolt? There's already an army of followers that cross our borders every day that could be easily armed and would probably join up to follow a tyrant if it meant a foothold to life in the US. Albeit not the same US. But then again, that's already gone anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Just honestly answer this for me:
    Why would an elected official who was put into office to represent "the people" ban two of the most common forms of ammunition based on the logic that it is "light body armor piercing" in order to protect "law enforcement" from it's citizens? Strictly money?

One would think he could have banned more things to drive up profits, no?

Seriously? The Obama statement was a joke. If he can't come through the front door. He'll try the back.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I think more of an argument that the people have against the banning of ANY ammunition is that it is your constitution right to be able to defend yourself (in so many words). Well just like the argument made that attempting to and restricting citizens from possessing magazines that hold more than a specific number of rounds is unconstitutional if not only the criminals are not restricted and it puts the citizen at a disadvantage and therefore unable to properly and equally defend themselves against said criminals... But also at a disadvantage against a possible tyrannical government where we may indeed need to form up as a militia.

The every day firearm conscious citizen is at a huge disadvantage should our government decide to change things. Maybe not against law enforcement, but definitely against military level weapons and capabilities.

Couldn't we already make an argument that even in our current level of capabilities as citizens, we are at a tremendous disadvantage as a militia against the powers that be?

My question is... Are these changes being made in preparation for changes that may be made before 2018 that may cause the citizens to revolt? There's already an army of followers that cross our borders every day that could be easily armed and would probably join up to follow a tyrant if it meant a foothold to life in the US. Albeit not the same US. But then again, that's already gone anyway.

In my opinion it is the driving force behind everything they attempt.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I just had a 10 minute conversation with a friend of mine where I had to explain why not all 5.56/.223 ammo is in jeopardy of being banned by the BATFE in this current push to ban M855 ammo. We were just BSing about firearms when he mentioned "you know they are banning ALL 5.56/.223!?" to which I replied "who the f**k told you that??" I immediately thought of this thread when he said that :dogkeke:

nickcam79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Madisonville,la
    Don't forget to watch the other hand that is slapping you.This is a big deal ,but they just funded Obama's executive amnesty bill.every time they want to do something the majority doesn't want they throw out gun control.all the tax payers run out and spend millions on guns and ammo and don't pay attention to the big picture. They get to pass what they want and stimulate the economy.win win for them.one more piece of freedom stripped from us.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I went to Academy in Hammond last night and people had raped the shelves of .223/5.56. I had been there a few times weeks before and they were stocked better than I've seen in a year. It's ridiculous

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Has nothing to do with the proposed ban, which is still very much on the table.
    Agreed. Fox news ran the story the other day and it was very clear that it was coming from the Obama administration with the decision going to the US attorney general.

This has nothing to do with that decision this far.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I went in today... All cheap 223 and 556 was gone... Ironically, so were all 9mm. I was able to look and find four ammo cans of 556 m855 - 900 rounds each (guess they missed them), but they were $499... Way too expensive.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I went in today... All cheap 223 and 556 was gone... Ironically, so were all 9mm. I was able to look and find four ammo cans of 556 m855 - 900 rounds each (guess they missed them), but they were $499... Way too expensive.

9mm

It's happened every time. I think people go in to buy 556/223 or go just to look and end up leaving with 9mm. It's funny too, because Blazer was on sale for $10.99 around Christmas and they had hundreds of boxes. No one even cared. Now it's $12.99 or $13.99 and it's being bought up left and right.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown

Too expensive , I agree. But that's been the same price since late last year. At least they didn't raise it... yet.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I havent really been paying attention to this frenzy lately. I saw a ton of steel-cased monarch .223 at an academy today. Will the panic people also come for this stuff?

Last edited:

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    So some jackwad was in academy yesterday and just started grabbing baskets and proceeded to fill them with all of the .223 ammo (yes, .223... all grains, all brands, bulk and single box) he could fit in them. Literally every box he could grab. Shortly after someone mentioned the ATF was "banning AR Ammo"... so then others joined in, even asking if there were anymore boxes of .223 in the back. Once he was done, I did notice two SPAM cans of .223 on an end cap that he missed... I almost chased him down to make sure he got them so later he could feel even more like an idiot.

Well, his grabbing of the ammo like that, I stood back and watched for a second... you could see the fear growing in every guys face standing there as they all began grabbing two or three boxes that remained on the shelf. It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch wars of '83.

Shortly thereafter, the employee restocking other ammo was asked by someone (after the crowd dissipated), "Are they banning all AR ammo?", and he responded, "No, just the military grade green tip stuff". Then a question was asked, "What's the difference in .223 and 5.56?" and quickly another one, "Can you shoot .223 from a 5.56 or 5.56 in a .223?"... followed by someone stating, "Mine says it shoots both". so obviously a bunch of knowledgeable individuals. I mean Seriously? Are we going to have another "you can buy one box of ammo" episode again but with 5.56 ammo?

What the heck people??? Doesn't anyone read? or are they just listening to heir brother's friend's cousin's father's son's rumors? Not that it really effects me, I shoot 300BLK... but its just ridiculous! It was reminiscent of the Cabbage Patch Wars of '83. :mamoru:

Makes me wonder if it was a store employee trying to empty the shelves. LOL (only kidding)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom