Removing the Bircage Flash Hider on Colt 6920? Replace with??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Hi all

I'm not too pleased with the Birdcage Flash Hider on my Colt 6920 as it doesn't do a great job or reducing muzzle climb.

To compare, The Factory flash hider/brake on my Springfield M1A Scout Squad almost completely eliminates muzzle climb and while recoil is strong, it is straight back into the shooter even though it's the larger .308/7.62 round out of an 18" barrel. This is much better for my tastes and I am actually quicker on follow-up shots with my M1A than my AR.

What I'm really interested in knowing is if the Flash hider is permanently attached on a 6920 and will require gunsmithing to remove?

I'm also interested in knowing what flash supressors/muzzle brakes would be able to direct recoil back into me more, rather than causing my muzzle to climb?

All help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Hi all

I'm not too pleased with the Birdcage Flash Hider on my Colt 6920 as it doesn't do a great job or reducing muzzle climb.

To compare, The Factory flash hider/brake on my Springfield M1A Scout Squad almost completely eliminates muzzle climb and while recoil is strong, it is straight back into the shooter even though it's the larger .308/7.62 round out of an 18" barrel. This is much better for my tastes and I am actually quicker on follow-up shots with my M1A than my AR.

What I'm really interested in knowing is if the Flash hider is permanently attached on a 6920 and will require gunsmithing?

I'm also interested in knowing what flash supressors/muzzle brakes would be able to direct recoil back into me more, rather than causing my muzzle to climb?

All help is appreciated.

It is a flash suppressor, it is not designed to reduce muzzle climb at all. The A2 flash suppressor on the 6950 should just unscrew with a 3/4" wrench. I would NOT try and use a crescent wrench, or you will bugger up the flats of the suppressor.

A couple members here have the "DNTC" brake, and say it helps with muzzle rise, but they are LOUD. There is even an A2 muzzle brake, that looks similar to the factory one, but is different internally to direct the muzzle blast, but it will also not reduce your muzzle flash at night.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You could try a Miculek Comp, they work very good on the muzzel climb part but they are very lound. Any comp you get will be very loud, just so you know.

Beauxdog

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Your AR has high recoil?

:mamoru: :D

Yea it will make it loud as hell, no one will want to use the lane next to you at the range.

I personally think the Flash Hider is more useful.

Stop it guys! :rofl:

Seriously though. I'm not looking to reduce recoil. I just want to redirect it back into my shoulder rather than up pushing my muzzle off target.

The AR recoil isn't much, unfortunately it's just not in the best direction.

You all get what I'm saying?

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    You could try a Miculek Comp, they work very good on the muzzel climb part but they are very lound. Any comp you get will be very loud, just so you know.

Beauxdog

I like the Miculek comp as well...loud? Maybe, but I wear both ear plugs and muffs so you'll have to ask the guys around me. Better speak up, 'cause their ears are still ringing :rofl:

Seriously, the Miculek is very effective and much less expensive than its competitors.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I have the Rainer arms version of that called the DNTC Aggressive. There is no literally no movement but shooters on the side will run from you...

Sound doesn't bother me. I use good muffs and I shoot at Honey Island.

What about the muzzle flash for night shooting?

http://www.primaryweapons.com/UserFiles/Media/FSC556_web.wmv

Here is a video showing the original DNTC and the FSC. If the compensation is near equal, it looks like the FSC would be far superior.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If noise doesn't bother you, take a look at the JP Recoil Eliminator. Nothing better on the market. It's kinda spendy though.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I was on the range once and the guy in the next lane was shooting a 16" AR w/ a 74 brake, fawk that was loud

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I'm trying to take the one off of my rifle to switch with a compensator I picked up for cheap, but I feel like I'm about to snap the barrel off!! It doesn't want to budge.

Any tips/tricks I should know about?? This is a right hand threaded barrel, correct?? Would sticking this in a padded vise be safe, or would it damage the receiver?

Thanks guys - DAVE

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Dave,
    sit down in a chair, and place the buttstock between your feet, and close your knees together on the handguards tightly. Works fine for me, no need for the vise. Yes, it's standard RH threads, but might require a little effort to get the FH broken loose. Are you sure it's not pinned, as a post ban upper may be?

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Are you sure it's not pinned, as a post ban upper may be?

Is it an OBVIOUS pin?? I don't see a damn thing holding it on.....

I tried laying it on the floor, and did some UFC type moves to break it loose, but I just ended up looking like a retard.

It's a Stag 2T if that helps......

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom