Epoxy resin to secure safe to concrete slab? Advice needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I nixed the idea of bolting mine down after I had to remove 4 doors to get mine from the garage to the closet . Throw in a screaming alarm system and I feel pretty good about things .

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Word to the wise if you have something with enough value and someone wants it bad enough nothing will stop them from getting it. The main reason to bolt safes down is so they cannot get pushed over and pried open with more leverage or strapped to a dolly and rolled out. My safe weighs between 900-1200lbs with guns in it and I can move it myself I am 5'9 210 and 27yrs old now imagine 2 or 3 of me with a skillsaw to cut walls and a dolly or a few pry bars and 15 minutes of free time. I personally bolt mine down just because if I can move it easily I know a few guys can move it easier

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hi guys, in the next few weeks I'll be starting construction on my new house. I'll have 2 24 gun safes and I want to secure them to the concrete floor. We are doing scored and stained concrete so there is no issue with wood, tile, carpet, etc there. This will be a post tension slab, so it'll have cables under high stress running through the concrete. The drawings do have the cable locations, and I will be able to take pics and measurements as the concrete is poured over them. Even with all this data I'm still going to be leery of drilling into the slab with a Hilti drill for anchor bolts. Is anyone aware of any epoxy resins or like products to secure steel safes to a concrete slab?

Thanks for any help/experience.
    -Scott W.

With all due respect; don't glue your safe to the floor. That's just silly.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    With all due respect; don't glue your safe to the floor. That's just silly.

How is that silly?

I misunderstood you...I thought when you said "epoxy" you were wanting to use some type of epoxy anchoring system. :dogkeke:

You might want to look into those drop in anchors someone suggested above- especially if you might want to move it in the future. Unscrew the bolts on the inside & you're GTG.... :)

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Epoxpies are used in construction; even for load bearing beams. "Glueing" it to the floor would work perfect; as long as you NEVER wanted to move your safe again.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Word to the wise if you have something with enough value and someone wants it bad enough nothing will stop them from getting it. The main reason to bolt safes down is so they cannot get pushed over and pried open with more leverage or strapped to a dolly and rolled out. My safe weighs between 900-1200lbs with guns in it and I can move it myself I am 5'9 210 and 27yrs old now imagine 2 or 3 of me with a skillsaw to cut walls and a dolly or a few pry bars and 15 minutes of free time. I personally bolt mine down just because if I can move it easily I know a few guys can move it easier

This won't happen in real life. At least not in mine. My safes are no where near any main entry door in my home. The thief will have to pass up thousands in electronics and other goodies to even find my gun safes. The room they are in is not very accommodating for anyone to budge either one of them much further than they are. It took us about 30 minutes each to put em in. I have a 110# friend that lives in my house too. The dog and the alarm system should be enough to deter em.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Epoxpies are used in construction; even for load bearing beams. "Glueing" it to the floor would work perfect; as long as you NEVER wanted to move your safe again.

True. But the epoxy bond is often stronger than the surface being bonded to. It may not be likely, but I wouldn't rule out that with enough force or leverage or sheer that the uppermost layer of concrete could wind up securely bonded to the bottom of the safe as the thieves wheel it out of your house. Leaving you a nice 2x3 patch of unsurfaced concrete. Particularly depending on how the slab was finished.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    If the house slab is not poured yet, use j bolts and set them when the slab is poured. Once the house is built, set the safe on the anchor bolts.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Almost any urethane adhesive would work, but I do recommend not gluing them in place. You may well want to reposition them after getting moved in or move out in a few years. I would suggest building a shelf or cabinet around them so they can't be tilted for moving without removing cabinet, I am not a fan of drilling a hole in a safe for anchoring as it could reduce fire rating. A poured recess is a great idea, you can always fill the void after moving the safe.
    You can never make something theft proof, you can keep out amateurs, but in the end locks keep honest men honest.
    Btw, my primary gun safe is 1200 lbs empty, that will slow down even a pro.

Last edited:

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    why not give you concrete contractor the bolt templates of your safes, they can set the bolts in when pouring the concrete. You come in, drop it in place and bolt it down. Should be the easiest thing to do.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good advice here! If the anchors only need a hole drilled into the slab that is 2.75" thick then Ill probably go that route with the Hikti drill. Ill just have to double check the depth of the post tension cables. Id rather not have the slab guys sink bolts into the slab. Knowing my luck the holes wouldn't line up, or id damage the threads trying to lower the safes onto them. Basically, if the cables are 3" or deeper into the slab itll be a non issue for me. Thanks again for the replies!

Top Bottom