Low Recoil Slugs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Alright so I was having issues with my shotgun Winchester SX2 (Same thing as FN SLP) cycling 3 dram target loads. I bought a target load piston off of the internet for the gun and I was wondering about using slugs in the gun.

I wanted to know about low recoil slugs. I will inevitably have to shoot slugs while also using the target loads so I was hoping someone could point me a a good low recoil slug that won't damage my shotgun when using a piston that is for 3 dram loads.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Federal low recoil are great. (blue hull) They shoot a little low for me right now but thats because I sighted in using some full power winchester walmart slugs.

Are you still having trouble with the shotty? I've got the FNH SLP Mark I. The first match I used it I had trouble short stroking and jamming on me. Pretty sure the continous rain didn't help either. Cleaned it up and degreased it really good and then brought it back out to honey island last weekend. Had a few more issues short stroking for the first 25 rounds but then it started to sing. Followed with another 250 rds and it was feeding everything, including the cheap target loads. We were just blasting ammo as fast as we could pull the trigger. So maybe yours just needs to break in a little more. Btw, I have the light piston in.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I bought mine used. So I am not really sure how much it was broken. I posted some questions on Brian Enos as well as talking to another guy on here that runs one and they came up with several different scenarios. The earlier models only came with one piston. It wasn't marked light or heavy load and I have that piston. It won't cycle the target 3 dram loads well so it was suggested I get the target load piston. There where also some differences between the tubes the piston ran on. The earlier models where ceramic and the new models are teflon. I have to sight the gun in sometime friday before I bring it to the match hopefully I can find sometime to do that because I was shooting the slug right about 6 inches at 25 yards. I also need to sight in my rifle and function fire the new lower. I am thinking about switching back to the old lower which I know works well but I haven't decided yet. Hopefully I will see you out there for woolmarket.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Yikes. I think those are two different kinds of "low power". I could be wrong, hell I'm probably wrong, but I think reduced recoil slugs are still pretty stout for a "target" set up. Full power slugs are serious ****.

It is what it is man the target loads aren't cycling the action (keeps on short stroking) and there is only a few slugs mixed into a stage if any. I just don't want to be beating the hell out of my shotgun/shoulder so I was looking for good low recoil slugs. It would also help if anyone you could provide me with where to purchase them locally if possible.

I should have never sold my freaking Saiga 12

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I've used hundreds of Remington Managed Recoil 1 oz. slugs.

Light recoil and work great in everything from an 870 to a Benelli. :thumbsup:

The guys on Enos say, IIRC, that the FN should always be run wet (lots of oil) FWIW. That can make a difference.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

The guys on Enos say, IIRC, that the FN should always be run wet (lots of oil) FWIW. That can make a difference.

Where can I get those Remington Manage Recoil slugs locally? I run the shotgun real wet as well and have tried a slew of oils and greases. Nothing had it working right so I just went with the piston change. Hopefully the thing works now.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Where can I get those Remington Manage Recoil slugs locally? I run the shotgun real wet as well and have tried a slew of oils and greases. Nothing had it working right so I just went with the piston change. Hopefully the thing works now.

I got a bunch and I can break you off some. Pm me.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.

Forum sponsor gmshooter sells 'em. I usually buy cases...think the last was from either Able Ammo or Natchez.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Another idea...if it looks like it might not be broken in yet, run a couple hundred Heavy Dove loads or similar through it. I've heard some take a little running in but have also heard that most people keep the light piston in for everything. YMMV.

Nothing wrong with a semi. I used to be able to run a pump pretty quick after a lot of practice on rows of poppers, faster than many semi-auto jockeys. But with a good semi you can run faster yet because you don't disturb the sight picture as much by cycling the gun. But your gun has to run for that scenario to work and a lot of people seem to have semis that don't run when used hard.

FWIW, 3 gun people run shotguns hard and there is a reason the Benelli is so popular with the 3 gun crowd. They run and run.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans

Everything works great in an 870...................

leVieux

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Alright so I was having issues with my shotgun Winchester SX2 (Same thing as FN SLP) cycling 3 dram target loads. I bought a target load piston off of the internet for the gun and I was wondering about using slugs in the gun.
    I have a FN SLP.

-Run it wet. If oil ain't dripping out of it somewhere it ain't enough.
    -Make sure it's broke in before making a change. 250 rounds should do it.
    -For 3-gun work use the light piston.
    -Sight in and shoot your slugs for groups at 50yd. Like a rifle or handgun you have to find what works. Mine grouped everything about the same except Remington Managed Recoil which printed larger groups. However find out what YOUR gun likes.
    -For 3-gun work find a slug that's 1oz at 1200fps. That's a 2 3/4 dram load.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Federal Tactical (Blue Hull) Run great.... The 00B patterns nicely as well. My Benelli is 15+ years old and runs like a champ on them..

If your looking for bird shot.. Winchester AA Sports (Grey Hull)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom