Pistol Stabilizing brace on a Mac10 type weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So during my current build of my AR pistol with a Sig PSB15, I started to wonder if anyone here on BS has used this type of adapter from USmachinegun for a Masterpiece Arms in junction with a PSB?

http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA9-0136
    DSC01759.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

I called us machine gun and inquired about the configuration. As soon as I mentioned the PSB he instantly transformed into a chotch. He started stuttering and claiming how the product was a complete piece of junk. LOL. It seems like he really hates that product. I just thought it was comical because this is the guy who makes upgrades for Mac10 type weapons.:mamoru: Oh well, its just an idea.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In my opinion... that would just be a stock, thus making that gun an SBR. On an AR pistol the buffer tube is required for the gun to function, on this, whatever it is, the "buffer tube" is just something to be used as a stock. Correct me if I am wrong.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    In my opinion... that would just be a stock, thus making that gun an SBR. On an AR pistol the buffer tube is required for the gun to function, on this, whatever it is, the "buffer tube" is just something to be used as a stock. Correct me if I am wrong.

The PSB is a brace, its not a stock. A pistol buffer tube is considered a receiver extension. A pistol buffer tube is not designed to accept a shoulder stock. A stock is a device that is meant to be put to ones shoulder in order to fire a weapon. The PSB was designed to be wrapped around ones forearm to aid in shooting with one hand.

Last edited:

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The PSB is a brace, its not a stock. A pistol buffer tube is considered a receiver extension. A stock is a device that is meant to be put to ones shoulder in order to fire it. The PSB was designed to be wrapped around ones forearm to aid in shooting with one hand.

Oh, I understand about the PSB. I am about to get one myself after seeing my friend's recent build. I just don't see how just adding a "receiver extension" to a gun that doesn't make use of it would be kosher, but I am by no means an expert. I just find it odd that on the website you linked to that product, in the description the guy clearly states that "this item may require additional paperwork to be filed with the ATF." The SigTac SB15 was given to the ATF and cleared before being sold, obviously this thing hasn't because the guy who makes it doesn't even know what it is classified as.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to slap a tube and PSB on any "handgun" and rock and roll with it, but I also don't think it should be illegal for me to own an SBR without jumping through hoops.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Oh, I understand about the PSB. I am about to get one myself after seeing my friend's recent build. I just don't see how just adding a "receiver extension" to a gun that doesn't make use of it would be kosher, but I am by no means an expert. I just find it odd that on the website you linked to that product, in the description the guy clearly states that "this item may require additional paperwork to be filed with the ATF." The SigTac SB15 was given to the ATF and cleared before being sold, obviously this thing hasn't because the guy who makes it doesn't even know what it is classified as.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to slap a tube and PSB on any "handgun" and rock and roll with it, but I also don't think it should be illegal for me to own an SBR without jumping through hoops.

I still think they'll be banned at some point retroactively. We'll wait and see. But to your point, they are selling them on AK pistols now as well. And those don't have buffer tubes obviously.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I still think they'll be banned at some point retroactively. We'll wait and see. But to your point, they are selling them on AK pistols now as well. And those don't have buffer tubes obviously.

This was going to be my next point. I just wonder how just because it would be on a Mac10 it would make it unlawful. Afterall the PSB is in no way considered to be a stock. It was never designed to be shouldered.

Here's the letter that we've all seen from the ATF:
    http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/ATF-Compliant-Letter.pdf

It does mention "AR type" firearms as far as what it is designed to be applied to. I also searched for a SB47 to see if there was a separate letter for the AK model but there isnt pne posted on their sight probably because its the same exact product.

Hedwig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    boontown california
    Good stuff.

I built one of the MPA mini 9mm pistols with a Burris Fastfire 2, machine gun style barrel extension and a folding arm brace. If I'm able to figure out how to do it I'll upload a picture from my phone. Do not by the cheap Amazon folding bracket. It's garbage.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    How much does weigh? My mpa10 .45. Weighs around 8lbs loaded. After running through a few mags, it gets quite heavy.
    A nice horizontal grip mounted to the fake can, seems more practical. As it would allow one to operate the pistol with 2 hands, and stay within the law

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    This is still on the back burner for me. I really want this set up as a fun range toy for when my octane 45 arrives.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The ATF letter recognizes in general that the way you hold your weapon does not reclassify it.

I don't see why the SB47 wouldn't work on your weapon though. It looks like it may. Also, just because they don't make one that is designed specifically for your weapon, doesn't mean you can't use it on a weapon that it will work on.

With that being said... if you use the adaptor you've linked to, it is not illegal to add a pistol buffer tube and shoulder it. Again, how you hold your weapon does not change it's classification. It is considered to be a receiver extension on a pistol.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I built one of the MPA mini 9mm pistols with a Burris Fastfire 2, machine gun style barrel extension and a folding arm brace. If I'm able to figure out how to do it I'll upload a picture from my phone. Do not by the cheap Amazon folding bracket. It's garbage.

Any pics yet? Also which side folding bracket did you use?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom