revolver question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    my neighbor has a Taurus .38 snub. She let someone work on it to lighten the trigger pull and now the timing is off or the hammer fall is light (hard to tell from her description). so, who should she bring it to in NO area? Or send it back to Taurus? Only other choice is I could bring it to nick's for her...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Taurus has a lifetime warranty. It may take them a while to get it back but hey....its a free lifetime warranty.

We send them back all the time at the shop. Some come back faster than others.

Last edited:

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Send it to taurus but lightning the trigger pull wont effect the mechanical timing of the gun. That is a problem with the cylinder advance and the cylinder stop.
    Its not worth it either way for you to fix it.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Who did the work that screwed it up?

Something tells me Taurus ain't goING to warranty that.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Someone she knew. I expect a garage job...

Some warranties are better than others. I'd expect Keltec to fix it no questions asked. HK would probably tell you to buy a new one. Not sure about taurus.

BTW, her other gun is a cheapie .380 she picked up cheap that is only dependable as a single shot. Since she's my neighber its in my best interest to have her armed.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Find out what was done to it. If he shortened the spring she may be able to get a new one and replace the short one. If he stoned and polished all the internals to try to slick it up, then maybe test the warranty. Offer to look at it if you want to get that involved. A test fire will tell you if its light strikes or timing issues.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Someone she knew. I expect a garage job...

Some warranties are better than others. I'd expect Keltec to fix it no questions asked. HK would probably tell you to buy a new one. Not sure about taurus.

BTW, her other gun is a cheapie .380 she picked up cheap that is only dependable as a single shot. Since she's my neighber its in my best interest to have her armed.

Why would you expect keltec to cover someone else's mistake?

Their parts didn't fail, Bubba with a Dremel failed.

Is it by chance painted? Buddy had a NAA Revolver that was cerakoted. Had the same issues you're describing. He removed all the paint and it was gtg.

Either way, good luck. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    People really overcomplicate things, its been said in this forum already.

"Hello Taurus, gun is broken. Does not shoot, doing weird stuff. Please help and fix it"

Box gun up and send it in.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why would you expect keltec to cover someone else's mistake?

Their parts didn't fail, Bubba with a Dremel failed.

Is it by chance painted? Buddy had a NAA Revolver that was cerakoted. Had the same issues you're describing. He removed all the paint and it was gtg.

Either way, good luck. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

I wouldn't expect Keltec to cover somone else's mistakes but I've heard of several instances where they have, no questions asked.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Simplest thing to do (beside not getting involved) is to determine what the problem really is before doing anything. It sounds like that it is kind of up in the air as to whether it has any issues or not.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    While I see Dust Off's point, I agree with eMGunsligner. The problem is actually not relevant... send it back to Taurus saying it doesn't shoot or that there's a problem. They have a lifetime warranty, though, you do take the chance that the "modification" that was done to the pistol negated that warranty. I've seen guns go back for less and customers get new replacement weapons... then again, I've seen customers walk out with their heads down because it was sent back with a bill or voided warranty notice.

I would say just box it up and send it in. If someone purchased this weapon from you, and they sent it in, they could just as easily get it replaced by Taurus. At this point, what have you got to lose?

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Taurus Warranty said:
    This warranty does not cover grips, sights, accessories, cosmetic defects after one year, or damage caused by customer abuse at any time. Taurus will not be responsible for these items.

Not saying they won't fix it and it's worth a shot...but I'm j/s

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Send it in for repair. You might take a look at the hammer spring and main spring to 'see' if they were cut. If you can 'see it' then a smith will definitely know; I would come clean. Nothing a tech hates more than being lied to but being honest might get you the free work. You might even find a picture of the springs on Brownell's to count the rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom