Hog hunting in Pearl River WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Other than Old Hwy 11, are there other good spots to walk in by foot and find the hogs? I've got Oil Well (South) and Indian Bayou pretty well scoped out. A few good spots but no honey holes and all are no good with a N wind.

Can you walk in off of Hwy 90? Or somewhere else perhaps?

This is only my 2nd season hunting Pearl, so this is for those more experienced than I am at PRWMA.

Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    This past Saturday morning I took a hog with a .22 magnum. When I was loading the beast onto my hitch-n-haul, a game warden drove up and wanted to check me out. He asked to see my WMA hunting license. Then he saw the .45 on my hip and asked if I had a CHP, to which I replied, "Yes, sir". He asked if I knew that I was not allowed to hunt with that .45 and I replied, "Correct, I'm hunting with a .22 magnum". He then inspected the entrance wound in the hogs neck and saw that it was indeed the size of .22 and not a .45. Then we started having fun talking about dumb ass things he has seen some people do at Pearl. The point is... know what you have to do to be legal and don't mess around. I've been to Pearl five times since Saturday (in five days) and have been stopped by game wardens three times (three different officers).

Good info Hoggin.

Thanks for posting.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Gotta admit, I'm having the toughest time finding the hogs this season. This is only my 2nd season at PR and I've never been this early. But so far I've made 16 trips. Saw hogs 4 times and only had a shot once (took him down). The other three times hogs just ran by and I didn't have enough time. The biggest thing that I'm not seeing is a lot of trails. I see some trails and lots of rooting signs and poop, but nothing like I saw in January. So I'm guessing that since we have not had a frost yet the hogs have plenty of food and don't have to move during the day to feed. Not seeing a lot of hogs. Not seeing a lot of trails. Tells me they just are not moving yet.

But I'm pretty new to all this so what do you guys think?

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I have made 4 trips out there this year, I have found a few nice trails where the ground is covered with mud splatter and the trees are covered in mud rubs but they are moving at night. Once it gets cold I think you will see more at dusk and dawn, btw
    every where I walked out there the ground was tore up every where you looked.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Don't forget, WL&F were out there after last hunting season wearing them out from helicopters.....not that it did much good to stunt the population...but, could be a reason for seeing less.

Most liberals seem to suffer from the same mental condition....it's called stupidity!

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    I agree with emperor we used to put in at Crawford or Davis landings and get away from the noobs. We would follow the deep cut bottoms and find them at the swamp transitions, usually never just one and if you find a sow its really on.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    You are pretty much spot on hawgin' man.just remember that they are not territorial like deer.Of course deer on public lands are moved around a lot,so it's diff than private land.I am by no means an expert,but I have been hunting there for about 20,and I can tell you that sign is good,but it means that they are not there anymore.They can just show up anytime,anywhere.They have just run out on me with no sign anywhere,and with sign everywhere...nothing.If you do smell their stink though,they are near.Does anybody agree?They do move a lot at dusk

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    Yeah mr lucky,the only legal sidearm on small game season is a rimfire.He could have ticketed you for that,but I have found that the rangers are good people and are not out to ticket people.Be straight up with them.You are so right,read the regs closely.I could have been ticketed a couple times for minor violations,but since he knew me and he knew that I was ethical,he was cool.Once I had a box of .308 on my dash,in small game season,and I came back to my truck and and he said something...."oh s..t!!..lol..I swear ranger,tear apart my truck,I do not have any hi-powered rifle.they are cool,and they know when you lie.Another time in primitive I had a "blaze orange vest " on and I came out and the ranger checked me and we chatted.I said ,by the way,is this illegal? "400 sq.inches" He said well..technically..yeah,,but I am not going to ticket you.They look for intent. Good luck to ya

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    22 magnum, 22 magnum, 22 magnum. It's a relatively inexpensive rifle, light and lethal close and far. Plus, it's legal from the start of small game season to the end (October-February ish). If you have your Concealed Handgun Permit you may carry a centerfire sidearm. I recently upgraded mine from a Springfield .45 XD to a Glock 20 (10mm) and am pretty happy about it.

There are hogs all over Pearl. But don't expect to step out of your vehicle and have your pick of the litter. The further in you go the better your results. Go where other people do not and you'll find hog and deer.

I recommend buying a backpackable game cart. I found one for $85 that weighs 12# and can tote 250# of carcass. I've seen dead hogs left in the woods because people got tired of trying to drag them out. The last one I saw was drug for a few hundred yards, then the guy cut the head off and gutted it to lighten the load, then drug about 50 more yards and he just left it there. What a waste. The backpackable game cart will allow you to go deeper than most and still get your kill out.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    I started off with 3" bb magnum steel,then lead,and T shot.Seemed like it just bounced off 'em,even close range.22 LR will do 'em in,but now I use 22 mag.Even 17 HMR is effective.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    I agree with you,but I have seen(and killed)more critters near the roads and on popular trails than deep.Hogs can show up anytime,anywhere.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    22 magnum, 22 magnum, 22 magnum. It's a relatively inexpensive rifle, light and lethal close and far. Plus, it's legal from the start of small game season to the end (October-February ish). If you have your Concealed Handgun Permit you may carry a centerfire sidearm. I recently upgraded mine from a Springfield .45 XD to a Glock 20 (10mm) and am pretty happy about it.

There are hogs all over Pearl. But don't expect to step out of your vehicle and have your pick of the litter. The further in you go the better your results. Go where other people do not and you'll find hog and deer.

I recommend buying a backpackable game cart. I found one for $85 that weighs 12# and can tote 250# of carcass. I've seen dead hogs left in the woods because people got tired of trying to drag them out. The last one I saw was drug for a few hundred yards, then the guy cut the head off and gutted it to lighten the load, then drug about 50 more yards and he just left it there. What a waste. The backpackable game cart will allow you to go deeper than most and still get your kill out.

Where did you find this game cart?

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    OK, I googled it already, A-H. I was looking for the one he had that weighs 12lbs and hopefully it doesn't have 16" wheels on it that will get caught on every root in the forest when trying to pack something out
    It's good to be appreciated.
    Re looking at the specs though I'd be interested in a model and make as well.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    All this talk of hoggin is really getting me ready for Oct 1. Told my wife last night not to expect to see much of me that weekend. Plan to take out a hog or two in the mornin in Pearl, then head to the camp to take a deer or two. Might even fit in some significant drinking after successful hunts!

Backpack game cart for $40 (this is the one I have, its come down in price)
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/pack-n-pull-game-cart?a=1518604
    12" wheels
    18#, not 12# (my bad, but still light enough)
    The one negative about this game cart is the smell of the wheels. SERIOUSLY. Don't know what kind of rubber it's made of, but you'll want to keep it outside for 6 months. Or go to a hardware store and purchase replacement wheels. The manufacturing stench from the rubber wheels is significant. Something on this cart clinks and clanks a little when I walk, but it's probably an easy fix once I identify where the noise is coming from. Didn't get around to fixing that last season but I will before this season. Anyway, it's cheap, light and useful. I tie a 15' rope onto it to tie the hogs on with.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have an older model game cart that I strap my climbing stand on and then just roll it into the woods with me or I strap a 10' ladder stand to it and roll it like a rickshaw out into the woods. It has 24" or 26" wheels on it which gives a lot of clearance to clear over roots, logs, branches, or knobs sticking out of the ground. I had a short wheeled one before and promptly got rid of it because it seemed to always get caught on something when trying to roll it through the woods and especially when trying to haul out game with it.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    I use a 10/22 mag.I gave up on shotguns a long time ago.22LR will do it and 17's too.I would go with 17 HMR though

Top Bottom