Looking for a job...HELP!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thats also what im hoping for. Ive already accepted that i might not find something until the new year. I hope for something sooner though.

Yes rcm, it is normal/typical for employers to wait out the year and will not hire until after the new year. Unless you really have what they are looking for, and they would not want you to "get away".

Do hang in there...and net work as much as possible.

Best of luck to you.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Thats also what im hoping for. Ive already accepted that i might not find something until the new year. I hope for something sooner though.

That is very likely. Many companies slow down and don't want to add anyone on from oct.-thru dec. On the other hand, many will hire seasonal work, UPS, Fedex come to mind, in their distribution warehouses, that could help hold you over till then. A few thanksgivings ago, I was suddenly and unexpectedly jobless, resume everywhere and nowhere at the same time, with two kids and a wife finishing school. I remember sitting at my in laws house and feeling like I wasn't even worth having at the table. It felt very hopeless, I had no real leads, and was a very rough holiday. Fast forward to this Thanksgiving, I'm doing better now than before I lost that job, Looking at a new job that I probably would not have had the skills for if i had never lost that other job and been put out there. Keep your chin up, Be thankful for friend and family (easy to neglect when your having a rough time, I did mine, but they stuck with me anyway), and remember it's only temporary.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I'm in a similar boat as you. Lost my job back in July and have been unemployed and looking since. Got another interview Monday morning but even if I get it I doubt they'll have me start before the end of the year.

I know you said you want to stay in the NOLA area but I think Acadiana Gunworks might need more people once they get moved to their new building.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    STILL looking for a job around the NOLA area. Anyone know of any plant operator jobs that are available? I wouldn't mind getting my foot in the door at a plant.

i just landed a job at a chemical plant in Luling. my associates in Applied Sciences was what helped me get the job.
    The biggest advice I can give you is to make a LinkedIn account, and apply to various companies through their websites. Exxon will be testing in December 11 & 12th, make sure you apply to www.exxon-employment.com and Exxon's Brassring partner (should be found if you goto www.exxon.com or google exxon brassring).

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Keep your spirits up. Things happens for a reason. One door closes, another door opens.

That's what people keep telling me. When at&t did a contract completion and cut our group, I had to go back to Illinois like a bust out and still can't find good employment. Even unskilled labor positions are hard to find. I've been filling out applications, forwarding resumes, going to interviews and peeing in cups for months.
    I'm starting to think that HR depts just run people around to justify their jobs. It's hard everywhere but you gotta keep your hope up. I'm positive things will get better.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    My brother in law works at LaShip in Houma. The state gave them tax breaks to open and they have not hired the agreed upon number of people. The way I understand it, if you walk upright and can pass a **** test, they will hire you.

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    My brother in law works at LaShip in Houma. The state gave them tax breaks to open and they have not hired the agreed upon number of people. The way I understand it, if you walk upright and can pass a **** test, they will hire you.

You know what kind of positions they have available there? Anything mechanical/electrical?

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Check this page. The jobs at Fourchon are 7 and 7. There are also jobs in Mandeville.
    http://www.chouest.com/employment.html

There are other large ship companies as well as gulf supply companies looking for employment. Harvey Gulf, Hornbeck Offshore are 2 others.

If you're looking for plant work, I'd try looking at the contracting companies first. SGS, ISC, ISI, Turner Industries, PSC, Brand, Jacobs Engineering, etc are many contractors that working in the River Parish plants.

Top Bottom