Mossberg Maverick at Academy - $179.99

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Academy marked their Mossberg Maverick bolt-action rifles down from 249.99 to 179.99. Don't know what calibers they come in, but who cares. They are $179.99!!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm swinging by in just a bit, I'll take a look and see what calibers they have. Mixed reviews online, but mostly positive. And for $179 who cares!

Also, Monarch steel 9mm is on sale for $7.99. :cool:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Maverick is a hell of a lot of shotgun for that little bit of money. The only difference between it and it's pricier brother, the 500, is the location of the safety. If you plan to go tactical home defense with it, the Maverick is a far better platform than the 500, purely because of the safety, especially when using a pistol grip.

I have 2 with Super Skeet chokes and they work great when we pull out the trap and clays.

I'd jump on the AA deal, buy by the case, with 4 cases you get a $100 mail in rebate. I already have 1000 AA's in the garage, and I don't go through them all that fast, so I'm gonna pass this time.

Stay away from the $4.99 Monarch .223. It's terrible, just fills up the AR bolt with trash from the casings. I was having to clean mine every 4 mags, and I have a piston AR

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Stay away from the $4.99 Monarch .223. It's terrible, just fills up the AR bolt with trash from the casings. I was having to clean mine every 4 mags, and I have a piston AR

Was that all from the same batch? I put a couple hundreds rounds of it through mine with no issues.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    At Academy...the Mavericks are available in .30-06 and I believe .243 fullsize and .223 and .270 in a youth version. Seem decent, if they had a .308 I'd be bringing one home.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Maverick is a hell of a lot of shotgun for that little bit of money. The only difference between it and it's pricier brother, the 500, is the location of the safety. If you plan to go tactical home defense with it, the Maverick is a far better platform than the 500, purely because of the safety, especially when using a pistol grip.

It's not the Maverick shotgun, its a Maverick Bolt action Rifle

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Was that all from the same batch? I put a couple hundreds rounds of it through mine with no issues.

I bought every round they had a couple weeks ago. I still have one box left, but I can't find a batch number anywhere. The lacquer was chipping off the whole time and it seemed the ejector was chewing up casings as well. I completely cleane dthe gun and shot UMC, and then shot Federal and Winchester and no had debris buildup. Only with the Monarch was causing issues. It shot well and didn't nasty up the barrel or anything, just the coating sucked. But hey, it's $.25 a shot, what do you expect lol

***edit***
    left out the "NO" before buildup, corrected and now it makes sense.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I bought every round they had a couple weeks ago. I still have one box left, but I can't find a batch number anywhere. The lacquer was chipping off the whole time and it seemed the ejector was chewing up casings as well. I completely cleane dthe gun and shot UMC, and then shot Federal and Winchester and had debris buildup. Only with the Monarch was causing issues. It shot well and didn't nasty up the barrel or anything, just the coating sucked. But hey, it's $.25 a shot, what do you expect lol

Thanks, I havent bought any in a while, the boxes I picked up were probably 1-2 years old. I have been buying silver bear lately so I guess I will stick with that vs. Monarch.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Who knows, I didn't lay eyes on the .223, that's just what the guy behind the counter said. And we all know they aren't exactly known for knowing what they are talking about.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    I saw this deal in the paper and went to get one. I was looking for a .308, but for that price I was willing to get a .270. I have seen some hit or miss reviews of this rifle but I was going to give it a try. When I got there I was in for a suprise. They had a Stevens 200 in .270 on clearance for 158! I have heard nothing but good reviews on these rifles (Savage products in general). So I bought the last two. Sorry boys but I had to get while the gettin was good. Also picked up a Nikon 3-9x40 scope (without BDC) for $99, regular $159. For the money I don't think you can beat Stevens/Savage or Nikon. However, I have been wanting to get my hands on a Marlin XS7

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    i picked up one of the mavericks in 30-06. Hopefully this weekend ill get a chance to shoot it(still need a scope for it). For the price however i cant see any problems with it. The finish on the synthetic stock is about the only flaw ive seen. And its just a matter of some flashing left around the the trigger guard that was easily removed.

The nikon scope you speak of was at academy? I know cabelas has the same ones on sale for that price, but academy is a lot closer

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    @ stancel I wanted one of those Marlins so bad, but I didn't jump on it quick enough when they first came out at $189. Now they are nearly impossible to find, especially in short action.

@ CaptainMorgan Academy has them, at least they did last week. The one on Siegen had just got some in when I bought mine.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I picked up a 30-06 Maverick and had the $50 Nikon Prostaff that I got off here to put on it.
    I'll ahve to go shoot it this weekend along with the Marlin 338 and Ruger 358.
    Not a bad deal on the Maverick for 196 out the door.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom