Water proofing a home?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    My parents house was water damaged during the recent terrible flooding that affected many of us. They were able to save the house thank goodness and were lucky in that the entire house was not flooded. Walls in all the bedrooms were damaged.

I need some advice. My parents are thinking of having a water proofing sealant applied to some of the foundation and the lower part of the brick walls and i have some questions. Would this work to keep water from coming through a wall? Well, that's the main question. Another is could this trap water in a wall? They are thinking of using home depot products. Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Brick work has weep holes along the bottom course to let the interior breath. If u try to water proof the brick and cover the weep holes or try to waterproof u will have very bad ventilation problems between the brick and interior walls and will cause the growth of various types of MOLD within the structure.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Inflatablewater dams.

damn-793x525.jpg

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The only way to water proof a home is to move it or elevate it. Spraying waterproofing on it will not help in a flood.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I saw the owner of Middendorfs on TV putting up some kind of large panels that snap together and expand at the joints completely around both buildings there. Don't know where they came from but looked pretty bullet proof to me.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I did some Google'ing the other day looking for something. My initial searching yelded the inflatable dams and something like Middendorfs uses. Raising my home would be a **** poor solution in my opinion, because it on a slab and has an attached garage, and this time we got over 3 foot of water inside. So we raise it 4 feet? I mean seriously it is a 1700sq/ft home on just under 1/3 of an acre. No one would want to buy that, and my neighbors would want to kill me. Besides to raise a house that size on a slab it would be cheaper to demo and replace.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Inflatablewater dams.

damn-793x525.jpg

I have a friend whose house is in a low spot with poor drainage, so the water gets high enough to be 6"-18" in his house every year or two.
    He uses 18" polypipe to do something similar. He puts two pipes side by side an one on top for about 3' protection. He gets it from farmers locally.
    In the lowest corner of his yard he digs a hole and put in a sump pump to pump the water that gets in back out.

DSC00062.JPG

This is the pipe he uses.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    I did some Google'ing the other day looking for something. My initial searching yelded the inflatable dams and something like Middendorfs uses. Raising my home would be a **** poor solution in my opinion, because it on a slab and has an attached garage, and this time we got over 3 foot of water inside. So we raise it 4 feet? I mean seriously it is a 1700sq/ft home on just under 1/3 of an acre. No one would want to buy that, and my neighbors would want to kill me. Besides to raise a house that size on a slab it would be cheaper to demo and replace.

Good points. From my google searches, I read that any home could flood. There is no such thing as an "impossible to flood zone". Flash floods are scary. If i move again (likely) and have a house built (unlikely), a coversation may go like this: I want the slab raised 5 feet above normal......you want what?......I want an extra 5 feet. I want a ramp going up to the garage and i want to walk up steps to enter the house......concrete is expensive.....so is flood water.....

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Good points. From my google searches, I read that any home could flood. There is no such thing as an "impossible to flood zone". Flash floods are scary. If i move again (likely) and have a house built (unlikely), a coversation may go like this: I want the slab raised 5 feet above normal......you want what?......I want an extra 5 feet. I want a ramp going up to the garage and i want to walk up steps to enter the house......concrete is expensive.....so is flood water.....

I have always wanted a house with a walk-out basement. But after these two floods I don't care where or how high the house may be a walk-out will likely always be a no go going forward.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    But what if you spend 10k for 12" of protection and water comes up 18"? Look at how many people sandbagged, even some the right way, and still flooded?

Yep we were bagged. If this flood would have been the size of the last flood we may have got away with it. The truth is no matter how hard you try you cant predict this kind of stuff and you have to find a reasonable stopping point. We gave it our best but it just wasn't good enough this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom