Academy buying frenzy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    Along the same lines, my local walmart and almost EVERY online ammo dealer I frequent is running out of or already out of .223/5.56 YMMV

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Boy I'll tell ya some of you guys are amazing. I may not know what the founding fathers thought but damn well know they weren't a bunch of sniveling idiots hell bent on destroying the people of this country.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    TECHNICALLY... your "Rights" are to keep and bear arms... the founding fathers never actually identified what "ARMS" were... they certainly didn't outline "AR-15's" or even FIREARMS for that matter. Taking up arms could be a club... or an axe. So if you want to stay on the same track as other recent decisions (like the SIG brace), keep forcing them to identify in detail what they consider "ARMS" to be and watch what happens. .

It says arms, and it is my opinion that the intended interpretation of that was any and all. At a minimum, I feel the intention was arms equal to any that a tyrannical government could field. I understand your point about forcing them to identify, if you want an answer, the ATF will provide it, and you probably won't like it. I'm not well informed about .223 or .556 ammunition, but I'm gathering that this is not some kind of armor piercing cop killing bullet. So you feel it is alright to ban a type bullet that has no extreme special features because other bullets are available? Or that is ok and legal to ban common ammunition because it is not spelled out in the constitution? I can't help but think if it becomes permissible to ban types of common ammunition to pacify unreasonable fears, soon we won't have ammunition left.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    TECHNICALLY... your "Rights" are to keep and bear arms... the founding fathers never actually identified what "ARMS" were... they certainly didn't outline "AR-15's" or even FIREARMS for that matter. Taking up arms could be a club... or an axe. So if you want to stay on the same track as other recent decisions (like the SIG brace), keep forcing them to identify in detail what they consider "ARMS" to be and watch what happens. You can own a weapon... but I didn't read anything about the ammunition... which, back in the day, a patch, powder and ball were not regulated or "manufactured" on a true assembly line for the public.

I didn't read anything about M855 in the constitution... and I ESPECIALLY didn't read anything about ALL 223 and 5.56 AMMO being banned. I saw another Jackass at Academy again this morning who had cleared the shelves of .223 ammo and was scurrying out the door. Hell, if I owned a gun shop, I would be buying up all of it just to capitalize on the panic that seems to be developing and then just turn around and resell it for twice as much when the prices skyrocket like they did with .22lr ammo.

"For, in principle, there is no difference between a law prohibiting the wearing of concealed arms, and a law forbidding the wearing such as are exposed; and if the former be unconstitutional, the latter must be so likewise. But it should not be forgotten, that it is not only a part of the right that is secured by the constitution; it is the right entire and complete, as it existed at the adoption of the constitution; and if any portion of that right be impaired, immaterial how small the part may be, and immaterial the order of time at which it be done, it is equally forbidden by the constitution." [Bliss vs. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. (2 Litt.) 90, at 92, and 93, 13 Am. Dec. 251 (1822)]

In my eye any law against firearms or ammo is unconstitutional! This ^^^ should say it all.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    "For, in principle, there is no difference between a law prohibiting the wearing of concealed arms, and a law forbidding the wearing such as are exposed; and if the former be unconstitutional, the latter must be so likewise. But it should not be forgotten, that it is not only a part of the right that is secured by the constitution; it is the right entire and complete, as it existed at the adoption of the constitution; and if any portion of that right be impaired, immaterial how small the part may be, and immaterial the order of time at which it be done, it is equally forbidden by the constitution." [Bliss vs. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. (2 Litt.) 90, at 92, and 93, 13 Am. Dec. 251 (1822)]

In my eye any law against firearms or ammo is unconstitutional! This ^^^ should say it all.
    Great quote. Panic buying by people not understanding what is going on. Remember pmags.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Politicians will break any law and ignore any constitutional right they feel they can get away with. If there is nothing stopping them (i.e. Balance of Powers, Congress, the People, etc.) they will only continue. A system of laws cannot prevail unless there are men of virtue contained therein.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Great quote. Panic buying by people not understanding what is going on. Remember pmags.

It could be the very fact that so many people were buying these things that the powers that be could see the groundswell of support for the rifles, and magazines that made them realize they hada much bigger fight on their hands than they could have ever imagined.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    We really should stop slamming the people that have to go out at the last minute to buy the things that are under threat of a ban. I think it's the very thing that sends the loudest message.

svilardo_85

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    MANDEVILLE
    Its a shame, I was gona get a bulk with my income tax to sight in, plink, and to save. Too bad I guess. Satisfied with what I got tho.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The same derps panic buying and emptying the shelves will be caught with their pants down should a future catastrophe occur. Some people never learn. BHO should be named salesman of the decade. I bet he and his buddies buy stock in what they want to start a panic in and laugh all the way to the bank as derps panic buy.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The same derps panic buying and emptying the shelves will be caught with their pants down should a future catastrophe occur. Some people never learn. BHO should be named salesman of the decade. I bet he and his buddies buy stock in what they want to start a panic in and laugh all the way to the bank as derps panic buy.
    Just honestly answer this for me:
    Why would an elected official who was put into office to represent "the people" ban two of the most common forms of ammunition based on the logic that it is "light body armor piercing" in order to protect "law enforcement" from it's citizens? Strictly money?

One would think he could have banned more things to drive up profits, no?

So the list is now:
    1) Firearms manufactured in and imported from Russia (I assumed this was due to the Crimea incident and bans were to hurt Russia and not support their economy)
    2) Steel core 5.45x39 ammo (on the basis of it being armor peircing - again I thought to hurt Russia)
    3) Now bans on steel core .223/5.56 production and sales. Wait... it's not from Russia and in no way would this do anything but stop supporting mostly american ammunition manufacturers. It shows me that BHO is now afraid that his citizens (who he was elected by to LISTEN TO AND SUPPORT) will have bullets that even out the firepower between citizens and the government. I don't see too many citizens walking around with bullet proof vests these days so surely these bans aren't to protect John Q Public.

Then you tell me these bans aren't stacking up against YOUR RIGHTS to bear arms. In my intepretation, the second ammendment is MY RIGHT to bear equal arms to the government to defend myself from the potential tyrrany of an evil empire. Wake up and smell the nerf guns. It's one swift step at a time and we aren't doing enough together to stop it. There will be more and it definitely will not be "to stimulate the economy". Are we going to wait until they ban the semi automatic firearm?

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Just honestly answer this for me:
    Why would an elected official who was put into office to represent "the people" ban two of the most common forms of ammunition based on the logic that it is "light body armor piercing" in order to protect "law enforcement" from it's citizens? Strictly money?

One would think he could have banned more things to drive up profits, no?

So the list is now:
    1) Firearms manufactured in and imported from Russia (I assumed this was due to the Crimea incident and bans were to hurt Russia and not support their economy)
    2) Steel core 5.45x39 ammo (on the basis of it being armor peircing - again I thought to hurt Russia)
    3) Now bans on steel core .223/5.56 production and sales. Wait... it's not from Russia and in no way would this do anything but stop supporting mostly american ammunition manufacturers. It shows me that BHO is now afraid that his citizens (who he was elected by to LISTEN TO AND SUPPORT) will have bullets that even out the firepower between citizens and the government. I don't see too many citizens walking around with bullet proof vests these days so surely these bans aren't to protect John Q Public.

Then you tell me these bans aren't stacking up against YOUR RIGHTS to bear arms. In my intepretation, the second ammendment is MY RIGHT to bear equal arms to the government to defend myself from the potential tyrrany of an evil empire. Wake up and smell the nerf guns. It's one swift step at a time and we aren't doing enough together to stop it. There will be more and it definitely will not be "to stimulate the economy". Are we going to wait until they ban the semi automatic firearm?

These people have done anything but represent the people. Well you get what you pay for I guess. Maybe 22lr will start accumulating on the shelf now. Maybe?

Top Bottom