Some geral reloading questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    9mm Beretta shooting 124 gn cast lead bullets with 4.1 or 4.2 gn of W231 and tula primers.

At an indoor range yesterday and this combo would fill the range with smoke. Is one component most responsible for this and is there a way to prevent it? I've shot coated bullets with similar results. Have a box of 500 copper plated xtreme bullets that I plan to load soon. Will this change create less smoke (with same powder and primers)? Never shot indoors when I loaded with less powder (minimum was 3.9 gn I believe) but I don't remember the volume of smoke with smaller powder charge. Gun was probably a little dirty yesterday, but had a lot of smoke last time I shot and the gun was clean. Suggestions?

Thanks

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Bullet Lube! Main reason i started casting my own. Also WW231 is kinda dirty but has little smoke in lower range loads. Iy mostly leaves unburnt powder but does put a little smoke out.
    I have never found plated to be as accurate as cast

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    9mm Beretta shooting 124 gn cast lead bullets with 4.1 or 4.2 gn of W231 and tula primers.

At an indoor range yesterday and this combo would fill the range with smoke. Is one component most responsible for this and is there a way to prevent it? I've shot coated bullets with similar results. Have a box of 500 copper plated xtreme bullets that I plan to load soon. Will this change create less smoke (with same powder and primers)? Never shot indoors when I loaded with less powder (minimum was 3.9 gn I believe) but I don't remember the volume of smoke with smaller powder charge. Gun was probably a little dirty yesterday, but had a lot of smoke last time I shot and the gun was clean. Suggestions?

Thanks

Shameless plug www.bayoubullets.net

stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    So everyone seems to think the bullets are part of (most of?) the problem. So, if I switch to copper plated bullets, that should help?

I'm stuck with the powder for now - trying not to spend money on a bunch of stuff.

I'm sure I will use your bullets at some point Mr. Miculek.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    beware of copper plated stuff. I've had bad experiences with different mfr over the years as the plating varies in thicknesses and sometimes won't even chamber! All that goes away if you get some bayou bullets.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I shoot a lot of W231 in 45acp.
    When I shoot lubed lead bullets, lots of smoke.
    When I shoot bullets that are plated or moly coated-,very little smoke.

I really don't care about the smoke, but I shoot outdoors.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA

At an indoor range yesterday and this combo would fill the range with smoke.
    Cast lead bullets are going to smoke. Nature of the beast. Doesn't matter the caliber. It's that ring of lube that's doing it.

Plated, jacketed, or coated bullets will lessen the smoke by a bunch. I gave plated a try years ago and gave up on them. Couldn't get them to group and you had to be real careful during the seating and crimping stages to not ding up the plating. For coated either Precision or Bayou Bullets gets away from the lube and hence the smoke. Price is just a few cents above cast lead. Not sure about Bayou Bullets but with Precision Bullets you can use the same load data as cast lead. Of course work up slowly yada yada but it will get you in the ballpark. Then there's jacketed but the price goes up a bunch.

Top Bottom