Ft polk unnessary land grab My family's land

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    http://www.kalb.com/story/25228444/...deoCatNo=default&clipId=10046013#.U0iFKBXGkd0.
    After this acquisition, Ft polk will be the largest training facility in the world. They have ever only utilized 20 percent of the Peason ridge training area they own now when they did this in the 40' and 50's. After losing my Uncle Roger to Lou Gehrig's disease over a decade ago, my Aunt Jeanie has no intensions of selling the home they built together and the many memories the property holds. My uncle bought the land from my grandfather and the gov't is going to use imminent domain to take the land. I could almost understand if a true need was available like a Hwy or Progress was to be made but just to acquire more land so that it can sit unused for years is complete nonsense. If you think Cliven Bundy got a raw deal, this is happening in your back yard guys and these people have the deed to their land, not unpaid cattle rights. One a retired state trooper and his son a current trooper, the gentlemen in the video are my cousins, and both have built homes and lives on the property that is to be taken. You want injustice with a big ol helping of beauracracy....... this is it! I support our troops and the military, and Ft Polk is great for Vernon Parishes economy, but this is wrong on so many levels.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    This is really interesting in light of the smallest military since World War II. I would keep fighting and get the Governor involved. Jindal won't like the big government bad press but he would like press about making a stand against big government.

Recommend you write an unsigned letter and post it everywhere. Include the addresses for Gov Jindal, Sen Vitter, and Sen Landrieu.

Ask everyone to print the letters, sign the letters, and mail the letters.

Last edited:

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    This is really interesting in light of the smallest military since World War II. I would keep fighting and get the Governor involved. Jindal won't like the big government bad press but he would like press about making a stand against big government.

Recommend you write an unsigned letter and post it everywhere. Include the addresses for Gov Jindal, Sen Vitter, and Sen Landrieu.

Ask everyone to print the letters, sign the letters, and mail the letters.

Great idea but does Jindal have the power to stop the federal gov't from acquiring more land

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    He does have a great ideal, Put your land in the public light and get the word out, Make it a state and news fight. After the Bundy fiasco the last thing big government wants is more bad publicity.

Great idea but does Jindal have the power to stop the federal gov't from acquiring more land

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yea...I think the above advice is worth a try. Absolutely...Try to get the press/media involved also.

Start by sending letters to the OP-Ed pages of every major regional newspaper. FWIW...I'm pretty sure I remember some states were passing landowner rights laws and such. These laws were getting passed back when the Imminent domain stuff was front page news because of the recent Supreme Court ruling. ( I think...but not 100 % sure)

Also....if you can do a bit of Googling...Find some older articles in newspapers on the subject of Imminent Domain. Then try to contact those journalist who wrote those articles. Send them an e-mail....along the lines of the OP above but preferably with more details and facts to pique their interests.

Trust me...a good journalist LOVES this sort of story. They love a good story....and IMO...YOU HAVE A GREAT STORY. AND...YOU ARE 100% Correct. The Public would eat this kind of story up and a newspaper would also.

Everyone agrees that imminent domain is necessary at times....but when they start to abuse it...The public relates to the abuses and gets mad as hell. Because whats happening to you is an absolute abuse of power.

FWIW...we are approaching an election cycle ( Congressional ) so the timing is just perfect. But don't wait...start now.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It just doesn't make sense really.

They train in what's called 'The Box' now.
    They don't even use all of that ... but they want to expand Peason?

I'll find out more details next week. I know the COE, DPW, and CMB Branch Managers personally,
    as well as plenty of other Branch Chiefs.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ...and to add...

This isn't the first time Polk has done this.

Similar to the whole Bundy/Turtle situation,
    Polk has swallowed up homes and private land in the past, lots of times
    under the guise of protecting the Red Cockaded Woodpecker recently
    and during WWII.

http://www.polkhistory.org/Heritage-Project.aspx

But now they have a couple statues in memory of them
    so it's all good.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It just doesn't make sense really.

They train in what's called 'The Box' now.
    They don't even use all of that ... but they want to expand Peason?

I'll find out more details next week. I know the COE, DPW, and CMB Branch Managers personally,
    as well as plenty of other Branch Chiefs.

Uh oh, someone is going to get the other side of the story. This almost never happens on the BS.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    yea...I'd love to see some sort of Bill passed in the Legislature protecting landowner rights. Its really disgusting to read stuff like this. And its happening all over the country.

I forget where I saw it...forget the city.

But a few years ago....some town stole the land of a guy who had a business in the heart of the town. It was on the best corner of that town...Intersecting the best 2 streets.

He had an auto repair and the place had been there something like 50 years and was his fathers business.

Anyway...the city council decided that the man who had the Ace Hardware which was more on the outskirts had a more appropriate business for said location which was in the heart of town. . And the Auto Repair should be located on the outskirts so to speak.

So they decided that they should take the land from the auto repair and give it to the hardware store....and vice versa. Really outrageous and abusive crap IMO.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Talked to a couple Branch Chiefs today.

Turns out. This is just what it is.

Fort Polk as a(THE) JRTC has justified through the Chain of Command
    (once again as many times before)
    all the way to Washington
    that they NEED more land in order to fulfill training requirements as the JRTC.
    Mainly Mechanized Warfare.
    This went all the way up, was approved and is now being implemented.
    They been authorized to offer large sum payments.

At this point a number of things can happen.

Most folks will likely take the money, and Gov funds that will help them move their stuff.

A Few will hold out for the Max Payment.

A very select few may stand their ground. If this happens the likely course of action
    will be fencing off their private property to the exact inch
    and train around it. Happens all the time off base to the East of Fort Polk.
    they literally train around peoples private property.

The only real chance of the Gov not acquiring this land,
    is if the entire 28+ families involved were to band together and
    as a group seek action via the Justice System. Likely will NOT happen.
    At least half will take the money quick and put any chance of group support to an end.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Talked to a couple Branch Chiefs today.

Turns out. This is just what it is.

Fort Polk as a(THE) JRTC has justified through the Chain of Command
    (once again as many times before)
    all the way to Washington
    that they NEED more land in order to fulfill training requirements as the JRTC.
    Mainly Mechanized Warfare.
    This went all the way up, was approved and is now being implemented.
    They been authorized to offer large sum payments.

At this point a number of things can happen.

Most folks will likely take the money, and Gov funds that will help them move their stuff.

A Few will hold out for the Max Payment.

A very select few may stand their ground. If this happens the likely course of action
    will be fencing off their private property to the exact inch
    and train around it. Happens all the time off base to the East of Fort Polk.
    they literally train around peoples private property.

The only real chance of the Gov not acquiring this land,
    is if the entire 28+ families involved were to band together and
    as a group seek action via the Justice System. Likely will NOT happen.
    At least half will take the money quick and put any chance of group support to an end.

I feel you're right, but i genuinely hope that some people hold their principles tighter than their wallets. I'd love to see a precedent that not only can our citizens NOT be bought, that they won't allow govt to take their property.

I'll bet half take the money n run.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I feel you're right, but i genuinely hope that some people hold their principles tighter than their wallets. I'd love to see a precedent that not only can our citizens NOT be bought, that they won't allow govt to take their property.

I'll bet half take the money n run.

Yea but if you think about it more....where do they train? Where are they supposed to go?
    The Base is here and has been established since pre WWII.

Folks around here knew before building/buying homes,
    that Military Bases are always expanding, be careful where you buy/build.
    Supposedly only a couple of the families involved are on lands that actually pre-date Fort Polk.

Those folks should be shown significant consideration, for sure, but in the end
    where is Fort Polk Supposed to expand?

Lots of the same folks complaining about the down size of the Military
    are now complaining about it's expansion.

:dunno:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah that's a crappy situation if you really love the spot.

However it's a pretty easy case to make that the army needs space. Also if the expansion means more jobs, contractors, money, etc. coming into the area and the state of Louisiana, you'll have a hard time getting others' support.

If you get enough money though you should be able to buy or build somewhere else. This is a risk you take whenever you own property.

1911arkain

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NOLA
    I understand that with Military bases closing other bases may need to expand to accommodate the troops/stuff that needs to be relocated.
    With that in mind, if Ft Polk is only using 20% (or even 50%) of it's land, why would they NEED this land as well?
    Is it because they want the water front to train troops for a water evac or incursion? Or test amphibious vehicles? Whatever excuse they come up with, I'm hoping it fails.

When requests are run up the chain, the higher it goes the less those at the top understand what's going on. Could just be that some high ranking officer wants a place to relax while still on the base, so he gets a friend who owes him a favor to pass it along. And by the time it gets to a certain point assistants are paraphrasing the documents to officers and they are blindly signing pages trusting what they are hearing. Once signed, they stand by what they ordered no matter what, and no matter how little they know about it.

I love the military. Those who sign up have my greatest respect. My one regret in life was not serving. That being said, not everything every organization does is right. I'm hoping someone realizes it this time.

arkain

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    We see it exactly opposite. The military should have considered that- not vice versa. If the citizens hold out and refuse, polk needs to find another piece of land to purchase/use.

I'm not against the military expanding, I'm against any govt telling people that "you dont live here anymore because we need it and didn't plan ahead"

Top Bottom