Is Old ammo safe to shoot???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    New member here...just getting started with training and gear, etc. but I have 2 old handguns, a .32 and a .38 special. I have a couple boxes of ammon for each, but it is at least 10-15 years old.

Is this still safe to shoot???

No physical damage, still in original packaging, discolored/tarnished some but otherwise they seem physically OK. In no hurry to screw up though!

Any input would be appreciated...

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    What kind of condition were they kept in??????

Too much moisture does tend to have an effect on powder, if nothing else you could probably recycle what you have, its nothing to take the loaded bullet apart and load it again with new powder.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    We were shooting WW2 ammo in the '60s in the Army. These rounds were sealed in ammo cans, tho.

We were eating WW2 rats, too.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Should be safe to try. With no physical damage the worst that could happen is that they dont go bang. Just follow your basic safety rules while shooting. You said the guns are old so inspect them before shooting. Have fun and be safe.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    All have been stored inside, so no excessive moisture, etc.

Re-loading is not an option for me..yet! No skills, no equipment to do that.

Thanks for all the quick answers!

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    What kind of condition were they kept in??????

Too much moisture does tend to have an effect on powder, if nothing else you could probably recycle what you have, its nothing to take the loaded bullet apart and load it again with new powder.

I'm thinking as long as it's already pointed downrange in a barrel it should be OK to try, right? Once during a discussion on the longevity of compressed mag springs, I recall some guy talking about dragging out grandfather's loaded 1911 after he passed away, that had been up on a shelf for 30 years with loaded mags and shot it all with success; mag springs and ammo worked fine.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I would not be at all concerned about ammunition that is 15 years old. That age is insignificant in my opinion.

Physical condition is another matter. If it appears corroded, discard it. If the brass is just discolored, that in itself is not an issue, but does raise the question of why did it get that way? If it has been kept dry and not in excessive heat, I would be okay. If you know it got wet, then I would be much more critical of it.

Ammunition is relatively simple, and you only need to be concerned about structual integrity of the case and primer, and chemical compromise of the powder and primer. Look for bad corrosion or bulging primers.

If you can post a picture it would be helpful. If you PM me, I'll be happy to look at it. My office is on Siegen Lane, and I'll be in Prairieville Friday.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    About 8 years back I got a case of 1940's production .45 ACP surplus ammo (various mfgs in the 42 rd stapled cardboard paks). They ran through my Springfield 1911 & Glock 21 / 36 with absolutely no problems.

I still have lots of Super-X 3" 12ga shells from the early 80's (back when lead shot was legal on waterfowl- the good ole days), and they shoot just fine.

So like the other guys said- unless they were kept in extremely bad conditions, your ammo should be just fine to use.

Happy shooting.:)

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As I think your ammo is probably fine, just consider this general knowledge:

1). If you get a "click", but no "bang", that is a misfire. Keep the gun pointed downrange for a minute or so, to make sure you don't get a late "bang", which would be a "hangfire".

1). If you get a "pop" or "dud" as opposed to a good "bang", STOP IMMEDIATELY! You could have a bullet lodged in the barrel, which is a very dangerous condition. Thoroughly inspect your weapon to make sure the barrel is clear, and that there is no other damage or obstructions. This is sometimes referred to as a "squib". Regardless of the condition of the gun and ammo, you should always stop immediately if a shot sounds or feels different.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for all the input. According to the posts, it seems it would be OK to try it, once I get a "safe" opportunity.

Since I am just getting started it would seem prudent to run some "new" ammo. through the gun to establish what is normal in my own mind.

Thanks again to all who posted here...

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    1977 Ammo

Currently shooting Non Corrosive 9mm Largo ammo in a Star Supero A 1950 1911 style Pistola.

All good in the neighborhood! !!!

StarModeloASuper.jpg

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I bought 2 cases of CCI Blazer 9mm in late '80. Still have about 12 boxes and it shoots fine.
    Have another half case of Win Silvertips .357. It shows no signs of degradation and I used a box up last weekend.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    As long as there's no other reason for the ammo to be unsafe, the age shouldn't be a problem. Last year, I fired about 20 rounds of 1938 vintage 8x56mm and everything was fine.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Well I've been shooting some .303 British manf. in the '50's. Love the smell of that Cordite!!!!
    Have you ever pulled one apart to look at the components? The cordite strands are the length of the case and they look pieces of fly fishing line. There's even a little cardboard wad.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    As I was reading through the thread, I decided I should post one of those "I can't believe it has not been said yet" posts. Then, I came to the last post ;)

LOL!:rofl::rofl:
    I thought the same thing. People are slacking off up in here!!:mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom