need to vent about some crappy luck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    So, on my ride home today, the side cover fell off the side of my motorbike. I had previously repaired it form damage that someone else did to it, and, well, I better just buy a new one.

So, I come home and see the garage door open, and my wife standing there with a bad look on her face. I pull up, and there is black stuff all over the floor, and I figure she spilled some oil? Turns out she wanted to get some spray paint off of the top shelf, and knocked it over, and it fell on the floor and exploded! ALL OVER MY 1981 FIAT SPIDER 2000! ORIGINAL PAINT!

She got a lot of it off while it was wet, but there are spots now dry, and some on the chrome parts. Lucky for me, I just waxed the heck out of it, so even the dry paint seems to lift off easily, and I think I can get it all off this weekend. But the chrome? use some polish? Thinner? I don't know, this is a nightmare.

Two things in one day, I'm staying inside.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Damn! That sucks. Not knowledge on getting the paint off. Maybe buy a lottery ticket this weekend? Surely your luck can't keep on being that bad.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Be careful auto paint of the 80s aren't as tough or chemical resistant of more modern paints. Too fast / volatile thinner may damage the cars paint. If you have time and endurance, I would grab bars of clay magic and rub away. Or get it done professionally

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I'd use laquer thinner on the chrome, or on glass, any light streaks left behind use polish, wax, or glass cleaner. You did not mention what type or shade of black, some flat black spray enamels will come off with a strong cleaner like 409. I try not to use anything harsher on paint or upholstry than mineral spirits (oil based paint thinner).

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    The paint was gloss black and there is not much left, just little drops that come off with a finger nail. It will just take some time, again lucky I waxed. The chrome is what I was worried about, it was not coming off of that with a finger nail. Thanks for the advise, I will try some things this weekend to see if I can get it all off. Good think I took my motorbike to work, eh? It's not nearly as waxed! Anyway, the rest of the spray paint is going in a box on the floor so this does not happen again. You guys should check your own garages!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Sounds like you are getting through it OK. Flitz is a great metal polish. It seems to have good long term protection.

Post up some picks of the Fiat. I had a 79 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. 2 liters was pretty good in the car.

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    I've found that WD40 will remove just about anything. I had a kid that wrote on my dry erase board at my office with permanent marker. WD40 and it was gone. I had tried 10 other things first.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've found that WD40 will remove just about anything. I had a kid that wrote on my dry erase board at my office with permanent marker. WD40 and it was gone. I had tried 10 other things first.

WD40 and magic eraser are 2 amazing products. Chrome seems to be pretty durable, I've even used gasoline to take gunk off a Harley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Sounds like you are getting through it OK. Flitz is a great metal polish. It seems to have good long term protection.

Post up some picks of the Fiat. I had a 79 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. 2 liters was pretty good in the car.

Here is the car. The Alfa was probably much better built.

- - - Updated - - -

cmw7xn7p26c9q7djy4jv.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

6pbte5wj0g9yiyxzfffw.jpg

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If it doesn't come off your comprehensive should cover it (assuming you have full coverage- it should be dirt cheap on a car like that).

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    For the chrome (assuming it's true chrome and not aluminum) use 0000 steel wool. It's also great for polishing chrome. Just be sure to blow / wash away any of the steel wool residue really well.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    For the chrome (assuming it's true chrome and not aluminum) use 0000 steel wool. It's also great for polishing chrome. Just be sure to blow / wash away any of the steel wool residue really well.

That's good advice. It will also take off minor rust on chrome. Put the car in the sun and let the chrome heat up and it will probably be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    If it doesn't come off your comprehensive should cover it (assuming you have full coverage- it should be dirt cheap on a car like that).

Yes, I go through Hagarty's, and it's around $240 a year for $10,000 payout. I'm going to look at it all tomorrow, but it probably won't be to big a deal, especially with everyone's advise. Really, it felt like a much bigger deal when I came home tired from a rough day at work in the sun, hot from the ride home and already bummed out about my motorcycle side cover. to see paint all over my garage and sports car was the proverbial straw!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom