Filing a Statement with the Police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    So I have a few questions regarding filing a statement with a police department. Does one have to be certain that a law was broken or criminal activity has been seen to file a statement? Or does it just record an event? I know that most people who file a statement have observed a criminal act, but is that a necessary requirement? I ask because I observed something last night and I would like to report it to the police so it is on official records in case legal action is taken against this person in the future. I feel like this incident, while not criminal to my knowledge, would help them build a case for future legal action. I can provide more details if anyone has legal or LE experience and would like to discuss the matter personally.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The police are called often when a crime has not been committed. Call the police, tell them what you saw, and ask for a complaint number in case it needs to be looked up at a later date.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Video questionable actions with your phone. Even if cops are called and it does go on record it's still "he said she said". Video evidence is always the best evidence in my experience.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    you should have called your local agency immediately and asked their opinion.

Well I am not the party that would be filing any legal action, but I was the one who witnessed or experienced the event. So I didnt want to make a report without their (the people filing legal actions) consent. I advised them to make a police report immediately and I would provide a statement, but they decided to wait.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Video questionable actions with your phone. Even if cops are called and it does go on record it's still "he said she said". Video evidence is always the best evidence in my experience.

It happened pretty quickly and I am positive this guy was armed, so I didn't want to reach into my pocket suddenly for a phone. I already had a plan of escape mapped out in case he did do something crazy like draw on me. I was not carrying at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding? Why on Earth would anyone call the police for an opinion on a police matter when they can just ask it here?

:dogkeke:

That's what this site is for right?!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Are you kidding? Why on Earth would anyone call the police for an opinion on a police matter when they can just ask it here?

It was serious enough to consider offering testimony.
    It was not serious enough to call the police.

It was serious enough to suspect that I'd be harmed for reaching for my phone.

It was serious enough for me to witness and offer to provide a statement.
    It was not serious enough for the people actually involved to call the police.

Believe it or not emp, this situation isn't particularly unusual.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It was serious enough to consider offering testimony.

It was serious enough to suspect that I'd be harmed for reaching for my phone.

It was serious enough for me to witness and offer to provide a statement.
    It was not serious enough for the people actually involved to call the police.

Believe it or not emp, this situation isn't particularly unusual.

And then comes on BS for advice LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yes sir! I posted that for you emp. ;) lol

Promptly hit out of the park! Thanks for serving up that softball! :hi5:

You do realize that one day I will get the phone call from Austin that will go something like this:

"Dude, can you stop f'n with me about the search feature!" :mamoru:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom