New car for wife- Rav4 or CR-V?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    My wife got in a wreck, she's fine but her car is being totaled. We have her replacement narrowed down to a Rav4 or a CR-V. I could go either way and I think she can too. Do you guys know about anything we should be wary of with these two? I think we're going to go with a CPO, so it'll probably be either a '12 or a '13. At this point my plan is probably going to be to call a few local dealerships either tomorrow or Monday and say that we're buying something today from whomever gives us the best deal.

I hate car shopping, btw.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    With any car purchase : Stay at the Dealerships........ Dealers keep the good cars for themselves and wholesale off the "don't wants" to everyone else.

Extended warranties are recommended, HOWEVER you must get the Top Tier policy. The one that covers "Seals and Gaskets" and "High tech/ electronics" --- ANYTHING else is a waste of money. Make sure you read those exact words in the policy before you buy.
    Salesmen always say : This policy covers everything --- I'm saying everything is specifically defined as : "Seals and Gaskets" , "High tech/ electronics"

Last, you can barter on extended warranty policy prices. There is mark-up in them. There are no set policy prices they must follow.
    the more they make, the better the end of the year fishing trip.
    There are other ways of getting ext. pol. besides from the dealer.
    For instance, State Farm has a good one. Remember , its just an insurance company. and everyone sells insurance for commission these days.

- - - Updated - - -

With any car purchase : Stay at the Dealerships........ Dealers keep the good cars for themselves and wholesale off the "don't wants" to everyone else.

Extended warranties are recommended, HOWEVER you must get the Top Tier policy. The one that covers "Seals and Gaskets" and "High tech/ electronics" --- ANYTHING else is a waste of money. and make sure you read those exact words in the policy before you buy.
    Salesmen always say : This policy covers everything --- Im saying everything is specifically defined as : "Seals and Gaskets" , "High tech/ electronics"

Last, you can barter on extended warranty policy prices. There is mark-up in them. There are no set policy prices they must follow.
    the more they make, the better the end of the year fishing trip.
    There are other ways of getting ext. pol. besides from the dealer.
    For instance, State Farm has a good one. Remember , its just an insurance company. and everyone sells insurance for commission these days.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    2 kids. Come on HM you knew that already. lol. They're 6yrs and 7mo, so both still in car seats for a while.

ETA- I have a pickup, so this would be her commuter and our go-to for any traveling.

Right but are/will there be more on the way?

The biggest mistake I made in buying Family vehicles,
    is not going big enough the first time.

We went from Ford Escape to Ford Explorer....and are now looking at a Tahoe sized vehicle.

Should have went with the Tahoe from the start.

We only have three kids now, but as they get older,
    so does all the crap you carry with you when visiting Grandma's!

Even with only three kids from 3 to 8 we are CRAMPED when traveling
    out of town for the weekend, and that's with a Hitch Carrier.

Go BIG! They dang near get the same Gas Mileage anyway.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Right but are/will there be more on the way?

The biggest mistake I made in buying Family vehicles,
    is not going big enough the first time.

We went from Ford Escape to Ford Explorer....and are now looking at a Tahoe sized vehicle.

Should have went with the Tahoe from the start.

We only have three kids now, but as they get older,
    so does all the crap you carry with you when visiting Grandma's!

Even with only three kids from 3 to 8 we are CRAMPED when traveling
    out of town for the weekend, and that's with a Hitch Carrier.

Go BIG! They dang near get the same Gas Mileage anyway.

No more kids
    DNA_SNIP.gif

I tried talking her into something with 3 rows, but she wants a smaller vehicle because it's easier to drive. Wifey gets what wifey wants. We'll probably keep this for a while and get something bigger once the older kid is a teenager and starts wanting to bring her aggravating friends along for trips.

At this point, I'm just curious if anyone has experience with either of these two vehicles. You can read all the glowing reviews you want online. What I really would like to hear is any bad experiences.

And LNService, thank you for that advice. I'm definitely going to consider purchasing a warranty, and knowing the specifics to look for is a big help!

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    We do offer a Used Car Inspection for you other used car buyers.

We inspect from bumper to bumper - Pinto to Peterbuilt.
    Looking for problems, maintenance issues, and previous wreck damage.

This $85 inspection will become a key tool for your next financial decision.

We have been doing this for years, and have saved our customers from buying that Lemon we all dread of..

DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON CAR FAX..................

I tell you this from experience. Yes Car Fax is a tool to weed out the bad cars, however we have found many things that NEVER get reported to car fax.

If you bring us a car, that we look at for a few minutes and it is a total bomb, we generally wont charge you.
    The goal here is to help you find a good used car, as well as earn the business of taking care of the car for many years down the road.
    Its not in our interest to have you spend check out charge after check out charge.

Call me at the shop, and we will do our best to have one checked asap !

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My '07 CRV was totaled by a negligent driver back in August. Got a '13 CRV and I love it. It was a toss up between the new Escape, RAV4 and the CRV for me. I think what ended up doing it is that the backup camera and bluetooth come standard in the CRV and are add-ons for the other two if I recall correctly.

Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    We just traded in a 2008 CRV exl with 164000 miles the chevy dealer gave us $7500 for it. The only 2 problems we had was within the last two years I had to replace the driver door lock solenoid assy $60 and complete AC system by the dealer for $1100. Called Honda on this becuase they had extended the AC compressor coverage to 100k but we was way past that and Honda still mailed us a $300 Honda card. We still would be driving it but we found a good deal on another car so it had to go.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    My wife had a CRV and loved it. It was totalled when she was pregnant with our first daughter. She opted for an Escape afterwards and a significant drop in quality.

Now with 2 kids we opted for a Pilot. Best decision we've made going to a larger vehicle. Still small enough to maneuver.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Mom has a 13 CRV and wife a 14 escape with the turbo - both are great. Stay away from the stealerships if you can. Best deals by far are from owner sellers with newer cars still under factory warranty.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Good choice. My fiancee got the new model almost as soon as they came out in 2012 and hasn't had a problem. There were 1 or 2 minor recalls, but nothing in it has failed. It came from Team Honda. Had to play a little hardball, but got it for the price she wanted.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

Top Bottom