Carrying Pistol on WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    I spent 30 minutes on the phone this morning with an enforcement agent with the LADWF. Very nice fellow all the way around, and he cleared up some questions I had about hunting hogs in the WMAs.

I also asked him about carrying a handgun on WMAs as well, specifically during squirrel season which is open now. First he told me that so long as I was concealed weapon permit holder, I could do so.

A few hours later he called me back to say that if I carried, the pistol caliber had to be .22 or smaller.

I have read a fair amount on forums, here and Louisiana Sportsman, about this issue, but I had not read this; so I thought I would pass it along. A little FYI for anyone that carries. I would never have reached this conclusion reading the regulations.

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    No. But if you told me I were going to be arrested or cited if I didn't agree with you I might be inclined to do so.

Your example carries no water when there may be legal consequences to a misinterpretation. I'll take the guy with badge's interpretation over the one I read on the Internet. All that aside you can mark that note as ymmv if you'd like. I am not the authority. Just passing along what the officer in the Baton Rouge enforcement office said on the phone this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'll take the guy with badge's interpretation over the one I read on the Internet.

Do you know odds of "the guy with the badge" being the guy being the one that finds you in the WMA?

Seek further clarification.

Just because one guy told you something, doesn't mean he is right/wrong. I've had plenty of DWLF agents tell me things and they were talking out their butt. So, I highly suggest you get further clarification.

Also, it's funny you mention not listening to an interpretation over the internet... Because you're on the internet telling us something... :doh:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I carry all the time, never an issue on WMA been checked many times. And I will continue as always. WMA is not a gun free zone ! :deadhorse:

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    Do you know odds of "the guy with the badge" being the guy being the one that finds you in the WMA?

Just because one guy told you something, doesn't mean he is right/wrong. I've had plenty of DWLF agents tell me things and they were talking out their butt. So, I highly suggest you get further clarification.

Also, it's funny you mention not listening to an interpretation over the internet... Because you're on the internet telling us something... :doh:

Cool bra. Again YMMV. Google that if necessary. Just a warning to those that care that interpretations of the regulations may vary. Those of us that would not like to take our chances on your little roulette game may just rather avoid the issue altogether.

Please feel free cite us all a Louisiana revised statute or section of the administrative code that clarifies the issue if you have one handy.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    No. But if you told me I were going to be arrested or cited if I didn't agree with you I might be inclined to do so.

Your example carries no water when there may be legal consequences to a misinterpretation. I'll take the guy with badge's interpretation over the one I read on the Internet. All that aside you can mark that note as ymmv if you'd like. I am not the authority. Just passing along what the officer in the Baton Rouge enforcement office said on the phone this morning.

So if an officer with a badge walks up to you and says he doesnt like your face, that you have to leave a public place because you are disturbing the piece because in his words "your are just thst ugly" would you go home and never go out in public again? I know thats a bit of a stretch, but an unlawful command is unlawful no matter how intelligent or rediculous it may sound.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    The officer is WRONG. Check your hunting guide under the hog hunting section and it clearly states hog hunters may carry a centerfire handgun during the February hunt.

danthemanx07

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Mandeville
    So if an officer with a badge walks up to you and says he doesnt like your face, that you have to leave a public place because you are disturbing the piece because in his words "your are just thst ugly" would you go home and never go out in public again? I know thats a bit of a stretch, but an unlawful command is unlawful no matter how intelligent or rediculous it may sound.

A little philosophical for me. You do realize that you would still to fight an "unlawful" ticket or post bond for an "unlawful" arrest, right? I am not that committed.

The officer is WRONG. Check your hunting guide under the hog hunting section and it clearly states hog hunters may carry a centerfire handgun during the February hunt.

Thanks for the post Blue Diamond. That information appears on page 66. Amazing what a citation to an authority will do... That clears it up enough for me.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Maybe you both should refrain from posting in the mornings until you have had your cup of coffee.................

YMMV.........

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    A little philosophical for me. You do realize that you would still to fight an "unlawful" ticket or post bond for an "unlawful" arrest, right? I am not that committed.

Thanks for the post Blue Diamond. That information appears on page 66. Amazing what a citation to an authority will do... That clears it up enough for me.

Nope I would just comply and get his name badge number and direct supervisor's name. Contact the supervisor and continue up the chain of command until I was satisfied my rights nor anyone else's were violated again. You could always call the sherriff during the initial contact if you really want to press the issue. IE dial 911 and notify them you are being detained against your will. Again unless confiscation of my property or harm my physical well being was a possibility I would call it a day and continue the fight through phone and print from the comfort of private property.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Pearl River WMA will close Saturday morning till flooding recedes.
    I spent 30 minutes on the phone this morning with an enforcement agent with the LADWF. Very nice fellow all the way around, and he cleared up some questions I had about hunting hogs in the WMAs.

I also asked him about carrying a handgun on WMAs as well, specifically during squirrel season which is open now. First he told me that so long as I was concealed weapon permit holder, I could do so.

A few hours later he called me back to say that if I carried, the pistol caliber had to be .22 or smaller.

I have read a fair amount on forums, here and Louisiana Sportsman, about this issue, but I had not read this; so I thought I would pass it along. A little FYI for anyone that carries. I would never have reached this conclusion reading the regulations.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    image.jpegYou can conceal carry with a "chp" on a wma during any season, you are required to notify them under official business just like a police officer, although I wouldn't want to be the one cought using it to take game or dispatch a wounded animal while bow hunting ect, it is only for personal protection

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    On opening day of this season, Sat, Oct 3, 2015 I took a hog with my .22 Magnum Research in PR WMA. I always carry my Springfield .45 on my hip when I go hoggin. When I was tying the hog to the back of my car in the parking of Indian Bayou Rd, an enforcement agent, Chuck, came to check me out. He asked to see my hunting licenses and asked what I took the hog with. I told him I dropped the hog with my .22, then he asked, "Are you aware you can't take that hog with your .45?" I said, "Yes, but I can carry it for personal defense because I have my CHP, correct?" He agreed. Then he checked the entry wound on the beast to measure the diameter of the hole for evidence of .22 or .45 lethal shot. It was clearly a .22 diameter hole. He said, "Ok, your good." Then we started chatting about some of the dumb stuff he's seen people do out on the WMA.

This 2015-2016 season I have been checked by agents six times (twice by Chuck and four other times by four other agents). Every time I have my .45 on my hip and it's never been an issue because I hunt with a different weapon.

The key is that my hip .45 is carried for personal defense, not for hunting. Now, there could be some grey area if I take a hog with my .45 if I state that I feared for my life by a charging 300# boar. PERHAPS I could take that hog with my .45 if the agent feels I am being honest, but that hog needs to be shot between the eyes with powder burns. A hog shot from the side without powder burns was not taken in self defense.

During small game season, hunt with your .22 and carry any pistol you want on your hip with your CHP for personal protection. Just don't go blurring the lines about which weapon you hunt with and certainly expect the agents to inspect a dead animal for proper means of taking.

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    An entrance wound is not scientific proof of the caliber. Skin elasticity, bullet shape, and whether or not the bullet hit anything (causing the bullet to impact sideways) prior to hitting the animal will all result in varying entrance holes.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    No the entrance wound is not scientific proof but the agent was happy,Hoggin was happy, everyone was happy, case closed.
    An entrance wound is not scientific proof of the caliber. Skin elasticity, bullet shape, and whether or not the bullet hit anything (causing the bullet to impact sideways) prior to hitting the animal will all result in varying entrance holes.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

If he examined the wounds and wanted to take things further if you regularly clean your sidearm after you shoot and you never pulled you sidearm during the hunt it should be free of powder residue and likely still smell like oil. If you are innocent they will find it difficult to prove otherwise. Bottom line if you hunt with a long gun and have your sidearm for protection/backup I dont think you should have much trouble.

Top Bottom