Gunsite Service Pistol Redux

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    In 1987, or thereabouts, the Gunsite Gunsmithy began offering a simple M1911built to Jeff Cooper's specifications. These original Gunsite Service Pistols, or GSPs, were built on Springfield Armory parts kits. They were fitted with high visibility fixed sights designed by Robbie Barkkman back when he ran the Gunsmithy. The trigger was tuned to four pounds. The hammer was slightly bobbed , an extended thumb safety fitted and the rear of the gun was dehorned. Basic reliability work was performed. An oversize firing pin stop was pressfit and a thick-skirted, oversize barrel bushing was fitted. After meeting the Colonel's approval, 'GSP' was engraved on the right front of the slide. Cost in 1987 was $575.

3140023072_8c709481b4.jpg

Pic of a later model GSP built on an actual Springfield Armory pistol [instead of a parts kit like the first 100].

3139193333_7480dba9a4.jpg

Shortly after I returned to Louisiana in 1992, I contacted Robbie Barkkman and made arrangements to ship a Springfield Armory M1911 to his shop to recreate a Gunsite Service Pistol for me. I carried that RoBar GSP for several years until switching to Glocks. I gave my GSP and a set of Milt Sparks leather gear to a friend when I left Oregon in early 99 and haven't owned a M1911 since.

A few months ago, I got an itch to add an 1911 back to the collection. Specifically, I wanted to recreate an old style GSP. According to a passage from a 1989 vintage Gunsite Gossip, Auto Ordnance became the supplier of the base pistol when the Springfield kits were no longer available. As fate would have it, I managed to obtain an Auto Ord M1911 from a forum member and the 'game was afoot'.

Last edited:

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Working at Tac Pro, I'm lucky to be a stone throw away from one of the best gunsmiths in the country, Texas Brigade Armory. TBA is Mike Lau's shop. Mike is the former OIC of the AMU and has forgotten more about building precision rifles than most will ever know. He also has a simply amazing collection of small arms books and magazines dating from the turn of the century. And his gun collection ain't half bad, either.

Taylor Mock is a college student who has been apprenticing with Mike for awhile now and has developed an affinity for working on the 1911. Taylor is the one who actually did the work on my pistol. I provided him with copies of two articles written on the GSP (one by Cooper & one by Mark Moritz) along with a few pictures. He did a great job, I think, of capturing the style and spirit of the GSP.

3098558955_755521352e.jpg

Ted Yost, of Heirloom Precision, now offers a 'Retro 1911 Rear Sight' which is a slightly modified, production version of the old GSP sight. When mated with an MGW Improved Serrated Ramp front sight, the sight picture is very close to the original GSP setup. I selected a King Enhanced Thumb Safety, an MGW barrel bushing, Ed Brown extractor & firing pin stop and Wolff springs to round out the package.

3099393304_042206266d.jpg

The GSP, like Chuck Taylor's Combat Master before it, wasn't a particularly pretty gun. It was a simple gun with 'just enough' done to it to ensure suitability and without all the fancy options that have become de riguer with custom 1911s [not saying they don't serve a purpose but they do raise the price].

The only thing that strikes me as slightly off on this pistol is the odd Auto Ord trigger. It is slightly longer than a traditional GI short trigger and the use of two hollow roll pins to attach it to the trigger bar mark it as 'not quite right'. I'll probably replace it with a standard GI short trigger or, perhaps, have a solid aluminum short trigger from Greider Precision fitted. Greider is the current producer of the old Videcki trigger design which were used on some of the GSPs, particularly after they went to the Auto Ord guns.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Here's the finished project. First pic shows a left side flat view.

3262199150_b13e373e04.jpg

Next shows the rear of the gun. You can see the dehorning, extended safety and rear sight.

3261371773_e41008c9af.jpg

This one highlights the oversized bushing & Greider [Videcki pattern] trigger. You can also see the classic GI ejection port.

3262199204_b21712d421.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I see a hole drilled in the trigger. Is that an overtravel adjustment?
    If I'm asking something stupid, please forgive. Many years ago I had a Argentine Colt for a little while that I stupidly sold (for a lot of money though, especially considering how much work it still needed). Now I have a springfield loaded and love it, but its far from a classic piece like yours. Eventually I'll build a 1911 project gun...

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    I see a hole drilled in the trigger. Is that an overtravel adjustment?

That's what it was for. I never cared for the adjustment screw on a working gun because I was always afraid of it working loose and tying up the trigger.

The new trigger designs from C&S and 10-8 have come up with a better solution. On their triggers, the set screw is adjusted from the rear of the trigger, the hole does not go all the way through the trigger body, so, once it is set upon install, it cannot shift position.

I've got a third gun being built, sort of a slimline MEUSOC, and it will have a C&S short, smooth trigger in it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I still like it! :D

One thing that strikes me as obvious though...with all the attention to detail, why the arched MSH?

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    One thing that strikes me as obvious though...with all the attention to detail, why the arched MSH?

'Cause the original's were built on Springfield Armory parts kit which came with arched housings with lanyard loops and when they were using Auto Ord guns they came the same way. The Gunsmithy did use flat mainspirng housings upon request, particularly when building slimline guns. The guns in the first post are both fitted with flat mainspring housings, but if you look at pics of Coopers personal GSP or any of the first 100 pieces built from the kits, they all run arched with lanyard loops.

The Slimline MEUSOC gun that Taylor is working on for me features a flat, smooth, mainspring housing with lanyard loop.

Top Bottom