Abbeville gun law???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatordrag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Just a Little update on this. I have challenged this ordinance, I have spoke with KATC for an interview and they are looking into this, I may need some backup when I go forward with this to the city council to have it removed.

Statements I got were ...City Attorney says "it would cost us too much to remove it, its just easier to leave it and not charge anyone with a crime" Mayors Secretary says "we wont remove it just because one person asks us too"....

Well it wont be just me asking as soon as this story airs

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Abbeville needs to be taken to court over this. This ordinance would not have passed constitutional muster under the old Article 1, sec. 11; there is no way it will stand up to constitutional review under the new Article 1, sec. 11. (Preemption does not make an ordinance exempt from the constitution.)
    It really is annoying to have something like this on the books. A town/city like Abbeville is not a kingdom unto itself.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Just a Little update on this. I have challenged this ordinance, I have spoke with KATC for an interview and they are looking into this, I may need some backup when I go forward with this to the city council to have it removed.

Statements I got were ...City Attorney says "it would cost us too much to remove it, its just easier to leave it and not charge anyone with a crime" Mayors Secretary says "we wont remove it just because one person asks us too"....

The City Attorney writes or copies a new Ordinance from another Municipality which replaces the old Ordinance and it is voted on by the City Council. The City Attorney can research Ordinances from other Municipalities until he finds one he likes. He can copy and change the name of the City on the new Ordinance. Very easy and very simple.
    More vocal people supporting you at the Council meeting would be a big help in getting this done.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Our own state changes laws each session... they never remove them.... If you don't read the correct line, chances are it is wrong... This law is not valid today, and I am sure there are a library full of laws in the same boat both locally and and on the state level.

Not a battle I want to fight. There are too many other battles, imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Our own state changes laws each session... they never remove them.... If you don't read the correct line, chances are it is wrong... This law is not valid today, and I am sure there are a library full of laws in the same boat both locally and and on the state level.

Not a battle I want to fight. There are too many other battles, imho

Has it been repealed, superseded or declared unconstitutional by a court? If so, I am not aware.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    However, ordinances passed BEFORE July 15, 1985 can be more restrictive than state law (that is in the preemption statute); BUT, those ordinances are still subject to the state constitution. (That is, they are subject to constitutional review; they DO NOT preempt the constitution.)

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    However, ordinances passed BEFORE July 15, 1985 can be more restrictive than state law (that is in the preemption statute); BUT, those ordinances are still subject to the state constitution. (That is, they are subject to constitutional review; they DO NOT preempt the constitution.)

Then I suggest you take them to court then

Top Bottom