Penalty for unsecured gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    One way we could reduce the occurrence of kids shooting kids is by making it harder for a kid to get his/her hands on a gun. That responsibility has to fall on the adult owner of the gun. Making the penalty much more severe might make some folks pay more attention(?) -- for example,

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...eighbor-pleads-guilty/ar-BBc6RNb?ocid=U219DHP

If it was my child that died, I don't think I would be satisfied with that sentence...

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Stupid and sad yes, but is a lock box enough, what if your kid learns the combination to your safe, still your fault? What if you securing device is defeated in any way by a kid, is it then your fault for not securing it well enough because your kid intentionally defeated a security device and "you should have known better"?

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    Hey I know. We can build centrally located buildings where we can store all the guns guarded by cops and when ever someone wants to shoot their gun they can go and check it out and when they are done they can return if for safe keeping.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Hey I know. We can build centrally located buildings where we can store all the guns guarded by cops and when ever someone wants to shoot their gun they can go and check it out and when they are done they can return if for safe keeping.

thats the idea on every military installation. ask any MP how many firearms they find in vehicles.

not sure if joking though. my sarcasm meter was broken this morning with pre-coffee ignorance.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    One way we could reduce the occurrence of kids shooting kids is by making it harder for a kid to get his/her hands on a gun. That responsibility has to fall on the adult owner of the gun. Making the penalty much more severe might make some folks pay more attention(?) -- for example,

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...eighbor-pleads-guilty/ar-BBc6RNb?ocid=U219DHP

If it was my child that died, I don't think I would be satisfied with that sentence...

leaving a loaded firearm in the reach of a 4 year old is about the dumbest thing you can do. if he even used a simple safe he'd have been fine. morons like this give liberals fuel for the fire. unfortunately, there is no cure for stupid.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    thats the idea on every military installation. ask any MP how many firearms they find in vehicles.

not sure if joking though. my sarcasm meter was broken this morning with pre-coffee ignorance.

Yeah and on every military installation, you are property of the military just like all those firearms.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    So what law would you pass?

+1

Yeah is some law supposed to protect the kids? This law didn't.

They also could have eaten poison, caught themselves on fire, chopped each other up with power tools, run the other over with a car, stabbed each other with knives, given each other a cold, etc.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    ayecarumbaoj3.jpg

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A sad tragedy.

Didn't the Newton-nutjob defeat his mother's safe? Maybe that's a poor example.

We could store arms and ammo like the Australians. Firearms in locked storage and ammo in another. All subject to inspection by the authorities.

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Interestingly enough, Big Jake Welch, a member here and gunsmith in BR, is almost done with designing a safety device. Obviously, he has to keep some secrecy until it hits the market, but maybe we will get lucky enough to get him to talk about it a little. I know he has been doing fundraising here http://www.gofundme.com/ft8it4
    He has my curiosity.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Stupid and sad yes, but ... still your fault? ...

Yes. You have the right to own the weapon, you have the responsibility to secure it from improper access. Otherwise, aren't you just another example of "it's not my fault, blame someone else"? Certainly, if you've taken "reasonable" (always hated that word usage) measures to secure the weapon and your neighbor's teenage son breaks into your home and sledge-hammers his way into your locked gun cabinet, that's a very different situation from one in which you leave your gun on the kitchen counter while you're taking a shower and your 6-yr old grandson picks it up and shoots himself.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    We dont need more laws or stiffer penalties. We need gun owners to be responsible. If you could legislate responsible behavior the prisons would be empty.

Top Bottom