Prohibited places ... or not .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    So , what are some of the common places that people go that are NOT prohibited either by law or signage ? I'm talking WalMart , restaurants , any Malls , stores , parks etc. I've just recently started trying to look for signs at places I frequent . Never paid much attention before .

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If your talking about concealed carry, I can't think of anywhere I go that has a sign. Seriously, I'm stumped. Kids school and post office, BREC park, bar, obviously, but I can't think of anywhere I've been that I didn't carry because it had a sign saying I could not. Where do you see these signs?

So, what are some of the common places that I go that are NOT prohibited either by law or signage ? Pretty much everywhere. Where are you not going?

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I've heard that in Texas, when people started open carrying after they changed the laws against it, some places of business started putting up gun prohibition signs. I think that is the main time you'll see locations start to prohibit guns, if people (other than LEOs) start going into the facilities with open carry. CC doesn't cause that kind of issue. Nobody will get upset if they don't know there is anything they might get upset about. Here in Louisiana, what I understand is it's technically been legal to open carry, but because nobody really does it, it's not an issue.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    We are not like Texas.

If you don't know I'm carrying, then there won't be a problem. Also, there have been plenty times when I've entered somewhere with a sign, but it wasn't posted at eye level and easy for me to see, sooo....

Concealed means concealed and all that jazz.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I've heard that in Texas, when people started open carrying after they changed the laws against it, some places of business started putting up gun prohibition signs. I think that is the main time you'll see locations start to prohibit guns, if people (other than LEOs) start going into the facilities with open carry. CC doesn't cause that kind of issue. Nobody will get upset if they don't know there is anything they might get upset about. Here in Louisiana, what I understand is it's technically been legal to open carry, but because nobody really does it, it's not an issue.

In Texas if they want to prohibit guns from their facility they have to use very specific signage. One sign is to prohibit open carry and one sign prohibits conceal. Again both signs have to follow a very strict guideline to carry any weight of law. But those signs do carry weight and if you are in violation of one of the signs its not as simple as asking you to leave. You can be cited for it.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    May just be me but,unless it's a government/federal/state building, I never see signs restricting firearms,lol, plus, if it's "concealed" it "should" not be seen anyway, and of its not a gov/state/fed building and it has a no firearms sign, that I may or may not have seen, that is exactly the place I would want to carry a gun in..

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have only seen one sign here, a local grocery store. I just act as if I didn't see it.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Signs here carry no weight of law. If busted, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can get trespassed. We don't have 30.06 and 30.07 signage like Tejas.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    In Texas if they want to prohibit guns from their facility they have to use very specific signage. One sign is to prohibit open carry and one sign prohibits conceal. Again both signs have to follow a very strict guideline to carry any weight of law. But those signs do carry weight and if you are in violation of one of the signs its not as simple as asking you to leave. You can be cited for it.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I guess the Texas situation is more current because the law just recently changed there? Anyway, I've just heard it's more of an issue there because people are walking around with open carry with the new law and all. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would open carry. Seems to me, you are just making a target of yourself.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    The only place that wasn't as obvious for me when I started carrying was BREC parks. Which I still think needs to change, but it is what it is.

OutOfAmmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Ponchatoula
    I know of one posted place... AMC Hammond Palace 10 has a no guns sign. But concealed is concealed.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I know of one posted place... AMC Hammond Palace 10 has a no guns sign. But concealed is concealed.

All AMC theaters are "gun free."

Recently, Movie Tavern also posted signs. Funny though, it's not why I stopped going. I stopped going to Movie Tavern because the food sucked :D

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Prohibited Places from LRS 40:1379.3:

M. No concealed handgun permit shall be valid or entitle any permittee to carry a
    concealed weapon in any facility, building, location, zone, or area in which firearms are banned
    by state or federal law.

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued
    pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any
    of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.
    (2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.
    (3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his
    own courtroom.
    (4) A polling place.
    (5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
    (6) The state capitol building.
    (7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under
    federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the
    terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as
    lawful baggage.
    (8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship, eligible for
    qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 U.S.C. 501, except as provided for in
    Subsection U of this Section.
    (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
    (10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class
    A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of
    the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
    premises.
    (11) Any school, school campus, or school bus as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property
    owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing
    a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a
    concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence
    of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

So there is really nothing here that relates to a No Firearms sign at a location other than what I already stated. All they can do is ask you to leave. It is recommended that you go here http://www.louisianashooting.com/ and print out the No Guns = No Money cards at the bottom of the page and hand them to persons displaying a No Firearms sign:

Anecdotal note:

According to my instructor, the exact wording of the statute states that you can't carry IN these locations. NOPD states that you can't carry at a parade, the law states in a parade. He said that he doesn't think anyone has challenged this in court yet, but it could be interesting to see how a judge interprets it.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Does section 9 mean the ROTC can't continue carrying long guns and doing drills in a parade? Also various military groups put on a show during the parade doing drills with firearms?
    Prohibited Places from LRS 40:1379.3:

M. No concealed handgun permit shall be valid or entitle any permittee to carry a
    concealed weapon in any facility, building, location, zone, or area in which firearms are banned
    by state or federal law.

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued
    pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any
    of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.
    (2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.
    (3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his
    own courtroom.
    (4) A polling place.
    (5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
    (6) The state capitol building.
    (7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under
    federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the
    terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as
    lawful baggage.
    (8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship, eligible for
    qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 U.S.C. 501, except as provided for in
    Subsection U of this Section.
    (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
    (10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class
    A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of
    the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
    premises.
    (11) Any school, school campus, or school bus as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property
    owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing
    a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a
    concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence
    of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

So there is really nothing here that relates to a No Firearms sign at a location other than what I already stated. All they can do is ask you to leave. It is recommended that you go here http://www.louisianashooting.com/ and print out the No Guns = No Money cards at the bottom of the page and hand them to persons displaying a No Firearms sign:

Anecdotal note:

According to my instructor, the exact wording of the statute states that you can't carry IN these locations. NOPD states that you can't carry at a parade, the law states in a parade. He said that he doesn't think anyone has challenged this in court yet, but it could be interesting to see how a judge interprets it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Does section 9 mean the ROTC can't continue carrying long guns and doing drills in a parade? Also various military groups put on a show during the parade doing drills with firearms?

Drill Rifles are not real firearms. Don't waste your tin foil trying to make a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom