New Acquisition!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    This past weekend I acquired a new Ruger LCR. Now, I'm not a wheel gun (revolver) guy... though I have missed my Stainless 640 J-Frame .357/38 since I sold it, but there was something about the Ruger that intrigued me.

ruger-lcr-9mm.jpg

It's super light, hammerless, comes with three moon clips... Which I've never used before, and I was initially concerned about, but are actually super easy to load (even more so than a speed loader), AMAZING trigger out of the box. I am actually replacing the front sight (blade sight with square white box) with an XS standard dot. It already has a very comfortable Hogue grip that I wish was just a little longer so my pinky wouldn't wrap under.

I'll be hitting the range with it this weekend and give a report on ammo used and performance. By then my sight and my carry holster should be in. From everything I've read online and in print, it's definitely a keeper if it performs as well as the reviews.

I was originally going to go with the .357 model, but then I read thought about it... I can shoot almost 3 9mm rounds for every .357 cost wise and with a revolver I can dump anything and everything into it without worrying about jams or misfeeding. That being said, I did notice something... The Ruger Moon clips are super thin. I actually purchased three additional moon clips from another manufacturer and they appeared to be similar, but they were too thick and the cylinder wouldn't close. So I ordered three directly from Ruger.

Assembly/Disassembly is so easy you could do it in your sleep.

Oh, and one more thing I noticed... 9mm Snap Caps are smaller than actual 9mm rounds. They DO NOT fit in the moon clips (any brand I tried)... they fall right out without any retention at all. Though any round I tried worked as advertised.

More info to come!

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    can't speak for the 9m, but the .38 is great.

I looked at all four initially... the .38, .357 Magnum and the 9mm... (even took a look at the .22LR). What brought me into the store to look at the 9mm was a write up in "Pocket Pistols" Magazine. After reading the review, I decided I would go have a look. That brought me to the whole collection, which actually made me miss my S&W (Which I looked at also!).

First impressions go a long way and how light the pistol was, and then once I felt the trigger... SOLD! After messing around with it for a couple of days now, I do wish the cylinder release was a little more prominent. Not extended further, but maybe wider? It just seems small... but that could just be me comparing it to my ex-640. Loading is a breeze with the moon clips... and keeping a set in your pocket ready to go is comfortable with no issues. I would like to get maybe a low profile double moon clip or speed loader holder for my belt though... not that reloading would even come into play during a draw situation... but for the range rather than keep them in my pocket. For that matter, maybe a small Pelican case instead of even needing the holder!! :)

I'm anxious and looking forward to hitting the range with it this weekend... my XS sight and holster should be in today!

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not sure how that would even work for moon clips. There's no real structure to moon clips like with a speed loader.

It would seem to me that you could pull it and have five 9mm rounds dropping to the floor. I would have to put it through some testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From what I've seen on YT the cylinder can be loaded without moon clip without the rounds falling through. Once the rounds are fired the shells take some persuasion in their removal.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    It can be loaded without the moon clips... HOWEVER... Then you're trusting the small lip on the cylinder that prevents them from sliding through (restricts the front lip of the cartridge). Once that begins to become worn from constantly being smashed by the shell casings or small fragments of the casings start to build up a "ramp" on the retaining lip, you'll play hell getting the rounds or casings out without prying them. I would highly recommend using the moon clips... They're cheap and do the job well. Aside from needing rugers specific clips, they're not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom