St. Tammany Parish Ordinances

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Not trying to stir the pot but I have a question. What differance does it make? if the sighns say dont carry, well then dont carry. I really dont see the big deal.

The big deal is it is an individual right acknowledged strongly by the Louisiana constitution. "Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny."

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    So in short, let them arrest you then sue the **** out of them for false imprisonment.

Or go federal:

42 U.S.C. § 1983 : US Code - Section 1983: Civil action for deprivation of rights - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/42/21/I/1983#sthash.gBw3qv1J.dpuf

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer's judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/42/21/I/1983#sthash.gBw3qv1J.dpuf

I moved from parts where this is the only thing municipalities will listen and respond to.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    This ordinance, as written, contains a huge problem. While it acknowledges that the State's pre-emption ordinance prohibits the parish from adding restrictions anywhere except in public buildings, the ordinance also prohibits on "properties" - a much broader item, and one in conflict with the state law.

If passed, it will lead to expensive litigation for someone; and when that part is ruled against, the law may still stay on the books because legislative bodies rarely remove laws that have been struck down - leading to more problems when law enforcement agencies decide to arrest people based on the improper law merely because it's on the books (see the BREC case from not too ong ago).

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    This ordinance, as written, contains a huge problem. While it acknowledges that the State's pre-emption ordinance prohibits the parish from adding restrictions anywhere except in public buildings, the ordinance also prohibits on "properties" - a much broader item, and one in conflict with the state law.

If passed, it will lead to expensive litigation for someone; and when that part is ruled against, the law may still stay on the books because legislative bodies rarely remove laws that have been struck down - leading to more problems when law enforcement agencies decide to arrest people based on the improper law merely because it's on the books (see the BREC case from not too ong ago).

I guess I'll stick to State Parks then. I've always wanted to ride the trace, but will gladly stay off of it with these ridiculous ordinances being proposed. Regardless, if the trace sign says no firearms (and is outdated), I'm not going to argue with someone about it, I'll just stay clear of the trace.

Curious, though, how does a "No Firearms" sign stop people from being on parts of the trace that run on streets? Is it no longer subject to trace regulations?

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    I guess I'll stick to State Parks then. I've always wanted to ride the trace, but will gladly stay off of it with these ridiculous ordinances being proposed. Regardless, if the trace sign says no firearms (and is outdated), I'm not going to argue with someone about it, I'll just stay clear of the trace.

Curious, though, how does a "No Firearms" sign stop people from being on parts of the trace that run on streets? Is it no longer subject to trace regulations?

You could email them at councilmembers@stpgov.org and let them know where you stand.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

What was the BREC case?

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans

You could email them at councilmembers@stpgov.org and let them know where you stand.

These people might also want to know you are avoiding recreating and spending money in St. Tammany Parish due to these regulations. http://sttammanychamber.org/

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Here is the agenda. It is item #1 under Ordinances for Introduction.

http://www2.stpgov.org/agenda/JUNE 2015.1/agenda.html

TannerBristerWeapons.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom