How to fight a Causeway Bridge speeding ticket when it is an outright lie?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The radar is calibrated by a technician in a shop somewhere. He fills out a certification for that unit, including the serial number of the unit and tuning forks assigned to that unit. The officer uses the tuning forks to check the calibration at the beginning of every shift. The officer is usually not qualified to calibrate a radar.

That is a little more like it. And let's not forget to check it after your shift to ensure it remained calibrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The radar can give false readings. I was pulled over one morning a few years back for going well over 80 on I-12 at Millerville according to the offices radar. I was going around 56-58 or so. This motorcycle officer had me pulled over in the Millerville entrance lane while he was under the Millerville bridge when he clocked me, (east bound) and realized there was no way I was going over 80. Honestly, while other cars were going faster, no car was going at that rate of speed. The car I was driving shook horribly at anything over 65. We had a good laugh and he said the gun does sometimes make mistakes. I don't know how you can prove that to help you at this point, seems this would be left to officer common sense. Perhaps he was 10 hr. into a 12 and had heard excuses all day and was giving tickets like a robot, and never noticed that you likely were not traveling as fast as the radar indicated. I've heard tickets are often dismissed if challenged, it may be that simple (or not, depending on your employer).

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So you have no evidence? No? Thought not.

I wish you put more faith in your fellow man and less in people serving in public office. Google public officials who went to prison in Louisiana and the results will sicken you. Between 2002 and 2011 403 were sent to prison. And that's just the ones caught and found guilty. There are countless instances where things are settled without charges brought and countless incidents where they never got caught with their hand in the till so to speak.

Public officials set the speed limits not the traffic engineers designing the roads. There are repeated articles from traffic engineers that talk about how low the national average speed limits are.

You and I are young enough you may have forgotten, but 1995 the posted speed limit on interstates were raised across the nation to 70mph. Everyone made a big deal about how horrible it would be, but what happened? That was 21 years ago the average automobile on the road today is so far advanced with in gigantic and super efficient brakes compaired to then it's time more speed limits be re-evaluated.

I have never said all speed limits were posted lower than necessary simply to collect revenue but I have provided you motive opertuity and character witness (public officials turned convicts). Do with it what you want.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The radar can give false readings. I was pulled over one morning a few years back for going well over 80 on I-12 at Millerville according to the offices radar. I was going around 56-58 or so. This motorcycle officer had me pulled over in the Millerville entrance lane while he was under the Millerville bridge when he clocked me, (east bound) and realized there was no way I was going over 80. Honestly, while other cars were going faster, no car was going at that rate of speed. The car I was driving shook horribly at anything over 65. We had a good laugh and he said the gun does sometimes make mistakes. I don't know how you can prove that to help you at this point, seems this would be left to officer common sense. Perhaps he was 10 hr. into a 12 and had heard excuses all day and was giving tickets like a robot, and never noticed that you likely were not traveling as fast as the radar indicated. I've heard tickets are often dismissed if challenged, it may be that simple (or not, depending on your employer).

I have never gotten out of a ticket already written, but I have had a few reduced, and I have talked myself out of a couple before the ink got on the paper.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wish you put more faith in your fellow man and less in people serving in public office. Google public officials who went to prison in Louisiana and the results will sicken you. Between 2002 and 2011 403 were sent to prison. And that's just the ones caught and found guilty. There are countless instances where things are settled without charges brought and countless incidents where they never got caught with their hand in the till so to speak.

Public officials set the speed limits not the traffic engineers designing the roads. There are repeated articles from traffic engineers that talk about how low the national average speed limits are.

You and I are young enough you may have forgotten, but 1995 the posted speed limit on interstates were raised across the nation to 70mph. Everyone made a big deal about how horrible it would be, but what happened? That was 21 years ago the average automobile on the road today is so far advanced with in gigantic and super efficient brakes compaired to then it's time more speed limits be re-evaluated.

I have never said all speed limits were posted lower than necessary simply to collect revenue but I have provided you motive opertuity and character witness (public officials turned convicts). Do with it what you want.

896bc2efeb75c3725fc2fb0c8658ba80.jpg

I have never gotten out of a ticket already written

And you claim to be friends of law enforcement? LOL

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    896bc2efeb75c3725fc2fb0c8658ba80.jpg

And you claim to be friends of law enforcement? LOL

No one mentioned anything about LEO. LEO's don't post speed limits, the best we can ask for from LEO when it comes to enforcement. Is that public safety comes first, and that they are reasonable and professional, and time and time again if have preached that is my position. I may be one of the most friendly guys that a LEO would ticket. Very rearly do I have a beef directly with the officer they have to be pulling some serious Rosco P. Coaltrain kind of foolishness for me to find fault in he officer himself.

And what exactly about that is conspiratorial? That's like saying th people who accused Edwin Edwards conspiracy theorists.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No one mentioned anything about LEO. LEO's don't post speed limits, the best we can ask for from LEO when it comes to enforcement. Is that public safety comes first, and that they are reasonable and professional, and time and time again if have preached that is my position. I may be one of the most friendly guys that a LEO would ticket. Very rearly do I have a beef directly with the officer they have to be pulling some serious Rosco P. Coaltrain kind of foolishness for me to find fault in he officer himself.

LEO is an acronym for Law Enforcement Officer. I never mentioned any officers.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well played your semantics are quite fantastic. Even still posting a speed limit falls more under law making not necessarily enforcement.

You don't pay attention very well.

This is what you said... and that's what I commented on.

I have never gotten out of a ticket already written

Surfmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Covington, LA
    The calibration of the speed detection device and the training of the LEO is the right direction to go. Rather than you request the documentation, you can ask, in front of the judge, if they can produce certifiable documentation that the particular speed detection device was properly calibrated and that the specific LEO issuing the citation has had proper training in the use of and calibration of this particular speed detection device...chances are that the issuing officer will not show in court...you can also ask if there has ever been incidences of the device malfunctioning and showing a false reading...

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The calibration of the speed detection device and the training of the LEO is the right direction to go. Rather than you request the documentation, you can ask, in front of the judge, if they can produce certifiable documentation that the particular speed detection device was properly calibrated and that the specific LEO issuing the citation has had proper training in the use of and calibration of this particular speed detection device...chances are that the issuing officer will not show in court...you can also ask if there has ever been incidences of the device malfunctioning and showing a false reading...

Yeah in my experience fighting a ticket is a waste of time. I was ticketed once on a rural highway that had just been annexed. There was no posted for more than 2 miles. I brought video evidence to support my claim. The judge didn't care. Once you go to court you have already lost. Traffic court is a joke.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    +1. Been there long ago and the judge always side with LEO.
    Yeah in my experience fighting a ticket is a waste of time. I was ticketed once on a rural highway that had just been annexed. There was no posted for more than 2 miles. I brought video evidence to support my claim. The judge didn't care. Once you go to court you have already lost. Traffic court is a joke.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States

If you don't believe all laws are perfect, hand written by the Creator himself and beneficial to our own well-being, then you must be anti-cop! lol
    Srsly though, I don't believe the speed limits are tweaked for revenue. I'd rather apply Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    1. Subpoena the maintenance and factory calibration records for the unit for the last year or longer (Unit ID should be on the ticket).
    2. Subpoena the daily calibration logs. Most units have to be calibrated with a tuning fork prior to each shift.
    3. Subpoena the officer's training and certification records for THAT type of unit and officers disciplinary records.
    3. Bring your witness to court.

Good luck

Subpoena the Tuning fork, entire repair records for the patrol car, entire ticket history for the officer (you may find he has a "thing" for car just like yours) State of LA recommended radar training guidelines, the officers radar training certification test score....and the list goes on and on and on.

In my younger years when I drove faster and got more speeding tickets I'd subpoena everything I could think of (it's called "duces tecum" which means ahead of time). I'd postpone the court date as many times as they'd let me. They'd never give you what you ask for (they're not being cooperative your honor and they're supressing evidence I need to make my case), and they'd throw every single one of those speeding tickets out.

Tuning forks are furnished with radar guns and are used to calibrate the gun at the beginning and end of each shift. I've read that 35mph Tuning forks are common. The officer strikes it on a non metallic object like the sole of his shoe and holds it in front of the gun. A 35 mph tuning fork should give a reading of 35mph. Correct procedure mandates the office do this at the beginning and end of his shift and record the readings in the radar guns log book. If it's laser, you might as well hang it up.

Dirty

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Subpoena the Tuning fork, entire repair records for the patrol car, entire ticket history for the officer (you may find he has a "thing" for car just like yours) State of LA recommended radar training guidelines, the officers radar training certification test score....and the list goes on and on and on.

In my younger years when I drove faster and got more speeding tickets I'd subpoena everything I could think of (it's called "duces tecum" which means ahead of time). I'd postpone the court date as many times as they'd let me. They'd never give you what you ask for (they're not being cooperative your honor and they're supressing evidence I need to make my case), and they'd throw every single one of those speeding tickets out.

Tuning forks are furnished with radar guns and are used to calibrate the gun at the beginning and end of each shift. I've read that 35mph Tuning forks are common. The officer strikes it on a non metallic object like the sole of his shoe and holds it in front of the gun. A 35 mph tuning fork should give a reading of 35mph. Correct procedure mandates the office do this at the beginning and end of his shift and record the readings in the radar guns log book. If it's laser, you might as well hang it up.

Dirty

This is full of silliness. Please people for the sake of not looking like a dumb ass in court don't follow internet advice. I have never been on the stand when someone was representing themselves and it actually worked. Best bet is to go talk to the prosecutor and ask him what you can do before trial and most of the time they will help you depending on your previous record. A judge most of the time Is not going to put up with silly request and will drop the hammer on you for wasting his time. But if you think asking for a bunch of irrelevant stuff in court looks cool or will help you then by all means do it and let us know the results

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This is full of silliness. Please people for the sake of not looking like a dumb ass in court don't follow internet advice. I have never been on the stand when someone was representing themselves and it actually worked. Best bet is to go talk to the prosecutor and ask him what you can do before trial and most of the time they will help you depending on your previous record. A judge most of the time Is not going to put up with silly request and will drop the hammer on you for wasting his time. But if you think asking for a bunch of irrelevant stuff in court looks cool or will help you then by all means do it and let us know the results

Just for my personal knowledge, how does the tuning process actually work? I'm assuming it's not a secret on your policies. Do y'all have to do any maintenance to the LIDAR systems?

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Please explain to me how the radar is calibrated by the officer with a tuning fork. I just want to be clear so the OP doesn't get the wrong information and you sound knowledgeable on the subject.

You are an LEO, you know how it works. Why are you trolling me? Anyone can Google this and get the info I provided.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Just for my personal knowledge, how does the tuning process actually work? I'm assuming it's not a secret on your policies. Do y'all have to do any maintenance to the LIDAR systems?

I don't know of any officer that has the technical knowledge to actually calibrate a radar. Any maintenance is done by the manufacturer.

Top Bottom