Midsize SUV suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Guys,
    Wife is 3 weeks from due date. Bag is packed, car seat is in the car. Problem is, car seat is too damn big for the car. Soo, time to upgrade. Looking to keep it under or close to $40k. Test drove a 4 runner today, I loved it, but I ain't gonna be driving it daily. After the baby is born, we will make a decision together. My question is, what would you buy?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It's not your call but you know that already. Now you do have veto power to knock off a few.

Just before we had our first we got a Chevy Trailblazer that we both ended up hating.
    Next was a Honda Odyssey when the second came along. Probably the nicest most practical thing out there with multiple young children.
    After the Honda we had an Expedition EL which was way to big IMO but it was a great vehicle for 180,000 miles.
    Now we just got an Explorer Limited with 4 bucket seats and couldn't be happier.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Ford Edge. Just make sure the break booster's been replaced (extended warranty issued). Had mine since October. I have the sport trim with AWD. Good ride height. Not too big. Nice tech features. Should be able to get a good deal since the next generation is set to roll this year.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Chevy Equinox or Traverse, Ford Edge or Explorer, Acura RDX.

ETA I have a Honda CRV, granted no kids, but I know people who drive them with kids and love them.

Last edited:

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Replies are great so far. I hadn't even thought of some of the vehicles up here. To be fair, she currently has a Mercedes GLK 350. It's doable, but not great. Looking to get into the larger sized end of mid size. And to whomever said it wasn't my decision, you're right, it's 100% hers.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    We've had a CRV since 2012 when the new models came out, it's been a great car. Drove to Gatlinburg with the wife, kid, and all of our luggage pretty comfortably and we make frequent trips to Alexandria with no complaints. With an extra $15k in the budget, though, you can probably find something with pretty nifty little things, like factory TVs in the back seat.

Ton

bang bang
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 19, 2006
    New Orleans
    I like Toyotas and I like Land Cruisers, so I recommend a Land Cruiser. Midsized? Nah. 40k budget? Look for a low mileage 2003-07 which would land you about 25k and rides a lot better than any 4runner or pretty much anything listed above.

My reply my be a little biased.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    You can get a certified used GX or RX Lexus in that range. "d 2nd the 4runner, too.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I went with my mom when she was looking basically for the same thing. Test drove quit a few. Chevy Traverse was nice but seemed small on the inside. She bought a GMC Acadia and says she loves it. It is bigger on the inside than the Traverse IMO. They are certainly worth a look / test drive before laying down money.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My wife drives a 2014 rdx, bought it with navi for ~35k plus tax. It's surprisingly quick, space is good, and very nimble. My parents drive a mdx, bigger, nicer, but heavier. Both good buys. I drive an escalade. It'll get you to point a to point b. But it'll drink a whole lot on the way

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    We just got an Acadia and absolutely love it. I recommend staying away from the AWD if you look at the Acadia though, we drove one for a day and hated the suspension on it. We had myself (240), my brother (300), my nephew (6'5"), my sister in law (tiny thing) and 2 kids in car seats and all fit comfortably. That impressed me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom