Should I create a trust?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Question for you lawyers out there with experience creating trusts:

With the law changing this July regarding NFA items in trusts, should I create one now? I have no items that would need to be entered into a trust at this time.
    Is there any benefit to creating a trust now, without anything to enter into the trust, and add the people to it now? Or does it just make no sense to do this?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So it depends on when the item is added and not when the trust is done ?

Correct. Creating the trust now has no advantage unless you plan on adding new items.

Contacting JCCypress is your best bet, if you have NFA questions.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Let me rephrase my question. I think I may have confused everyone... or at least myself.

Is there an advantage to setting up a trust now, with nothing in it, with the possibility of adding items after July of this year?

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Regardless of 41F, establishing a trust is the simplest, and most beneficial way to transfer NFA items to your heirs upon your death. A trust provides a legal road map for your heirs and will help prevent them from inadvertently finding themselves in the position of illegally possessing NFA weapons.

Trusts are also the most legally-sound method for sharing NFA items among a pool of users, such as family members and close friends that you list as trustees. It's very handy to have the flexibility to exchange and share these items with your shooting buddies, or to allow someone else to transport an item for you. Being the only person in the world who is allowed to possess an item is inconvenient, to say the least.

If you do not anticipate purchasing or manufacturing any NFA items prior to July 13, 2016, then the advantage of establishing your trust at this time would be to have it in place and ready, should you come across that deal on an NFA item that you want to pounce on.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Regardless of 41F, establishing a trust is the simplest, and most beneficial way to transfer NFA items to your heirs upon your death. A trust provides a legal road map for your heirs and will help prevent them from inadvertently finding themselves in the position of illegally possessing NFA weapons.

Trusts are also the most legally-sound method for sharing NFA items among a pool of users, such as family members and close friends that you list as trustees. It's very handy to have the flexibility to exchange and share these items with your shooting buddies, or to allow someone else to transport an item for you. Being the only person in the world who is allowed to possess an item is inconvenient, to say the least.

If you do not anticipate purchasing or manufacturing any NFA items prior to July 13, 2016, then the advantage of establishing your trust at this time would be to have it in place and ready, should you come across that deal on an NFA item that you want to pounce on.

This what I think, its more about passing it on. But I think said heirs need to be 21 before they can be listed in an NFA Trust.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is

^ This was a big part of why I formed a Trust. My wife is also an avid shooter and I wanted to list her as a trustee. Up until the July change, it was also handy to not have to procure photographs and prints too. Even though that is going to part of the process now, there are still some solid benefits of going the trust route.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA

I agree as well. In my parish, getting approval from the CLEO is not an issue, but I didn't want my wife or other family members to not have the combination to the safe if I were out of town. Also, my children are beneficiaries as well as trustees, so they will benefit from the trust when I pass.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I agree as well. In my parish, getting approval from the CLEO is not an issue, but I didn't want my wife or other family members to not have the combination to the safe if I were out of town. Also, my children are beneficiaries as well as trustees, so they will benefit from the trust when I pass.

Are your children minors? If so how were you able to set them up as beneficiaries on an NFA trust?
    Thanks.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Just get one done and file for some SBRs! All the cool kids are doing it...you should too! The longer you wait the longer itll take to come back.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Are your children minors? If so how were you able to set them up as beneficiaries on an NFA trust?
    Thanks.

Minors? Hardly. 31 and 33. I have heard of people putting their minor children on the trust though. I don't think the trust has anything to do with NFA. It is just a revocable living trust. You would need to ask JCypress about that.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Minors? Hardly. 31 and 33. I have heard of people putting their minor children on the trust though. I don't think the trust has anything to do with NFA. It is just a revocable living trust. You would need to ask JCypress about that.

They're not minors. That answers my question. My trust is setup as NFA items only, not a trust with my family lawyer for other matters. Thanks and enjoy, happy shooting!

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I have minors on mine. Set up a successor trustee. But if I understand it correctly, that person will also have to submit the same info as all other trustees after the 41F thing happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom