Sheriff serving papers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My brother is having the Lafayette Sheriffs office serve papers on a tow truck company. Please see attached link for more background. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?136903-Tow-Truck-Bond
    He filed with the JP Monday before last. (9 business days ago). He called to see if the guy had been served. The lady at the Sheriffs office said he hadn't because he has an answering service and they can't reach him. There is a lady at his company during business hours so she can be served. Is it common practice to call someone being served before going? This doesn't sound right. When we are served for medical records the deputy just shows up. They have never called. Any LEO's have an answer.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'm serve a ton of process, 90% has been attempted by the SO first. We are successful because we make our attempts after hours, weekends, etc. I axe ya mama n em where you play midnight basketball and show up there. I'm usu able to grab a photo off social networking sites to help with ID, run registered vehix, etc. I do not accept "he don't live here no mo". One advantage I have that the SO often doesn't is that I am able to serve domiciliary, whereas some SO have policies requiring personal service. At a business, the office staff may not constitute good service.
    I would "never" call before attempting service, even when supplied with a number and told the recipient is cooperative. In my experience, as soon as I call, the target is unavailable permanently. I wear scrubs and carry a "Express Delivery" box and clipboard. These are advantages the SO doesn't have.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Process servers do not call prior to showing up to serve anything otherwise 99% of the things that need to be served would never reach the hands of the recipient.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Call and request a tow, raise hood, sit back and relax, serve papers when he shows!
    Something like that

That's not good enough. They would have to do something like when he gives them the tow slip to sign, they hand back the paperwork to be served and hope he takes it. You can't just leave it in the cab of the truck or something like that, he has to possess it and actually look at it and know he was served.

I'm guessing it's not his first rodeo.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Tow truck licenses are regulated by LSP/Dept. of Corrections. To get a license they are required to have $50,000 garage insurance for such situations. My brother faxed them yesterday with a complaint. We will find out who his carrier is and go through them. This is going to be made right one way or another.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    The person being served is not required to take the papers, however many mistakenly believe this is the case. I generally request a signature prior to the reveal. When the person receiving service refuses to take them, they are placed at their feet. Process Servers used to commonly throw the papers at those being served, however, lawsuits for eye injury etc. killed that.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The person being served is not required to take the papers, however many mistakenly believe this is the case. I generally request a signature prior to the reveal. When the person receiving service refuses to take them, they are placed at their feet. Process Servers used to commonly throw the papers at those being served, however, lawsuits for eye injury etc. killed that.

WE WANT TO HEAR SOME SWEET PROCESS SERVER STORIES.

Very cool.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    WE WANT TO HEAR SOME SWEET PROCESS SERVER STORIES.

Very cool.

I worked with a gentleman who had a damn the torpedoes attitude. His first wife on many years ago filed for child support which meant she would receive 18 years of support. He dodged the papers, registered his vehicle in MS and had his mail delivered to a friend. Well he did have a job and his X found out where he worked.
    He was jumpy as a cat anytime law enforcement showed up. He worked for a man who also had a tow business so LEO was not uncommon. They could never corner him.
    One blue bird day a vehicle pulled up and this hot blond stepped out, strutted her stuff into the shop and promptly asked for my friend. Being the hound dog he was he stepped up and answered to his name. She reached around to her snuggly fitting jeans and produced a set of papers. She proudly announced you have been served. She strutted out of that shop with a smirky smile that was worth a million dollars.
    My buddy ended up helping to clean the highways instead of ponying up. His X hates him, he still helps his kids and would probably pull the same moves if he had to. Never knew anyone as bullheaded as him. Old Marines just don't go down without a fight.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Wow!! Don't really know why but i love these stories.

u8sk3bnyubgbd9uudbld.jpg

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I worked with a gentleman who had a damn the torpedoes attitude. His first wife on many years ago filed for child support which meant she would receive 18 years of support. He dodged the papers, registered his vehicle in MS and had his mail delivered to a friend. Well he did have a job and his X found out where he worked.
    He was jumpy as a cat anytime law enforcement showed up. He worked for a man who also had a tow business so LEO was not uncommon. They could never corner him.
    One blue bird day a vehicle pulled up and this hot blond stepped out, strutted her stuff into the shop and promptly asked for my friend. Being the hound dog he was he stepped up and answered to his name. She reached around to her snuggly fitting jeans and produced a set of papers. She proudly announced you have been served. She strutted out of that shop with a smirky smile that was worth a million dollars.
    My buddy ended up helping to clean the highways instead of ponying up. His X hates him, he still helps his kids and would probably pull the same moves if he had to. Never knew anyone as bullheaded as him. Old Marines just don't go down without a fight.

Never trust a b!tch

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Update. The owner was served. It appears LSP has taken the company off of tow rotation. And my brother was contacted by the tow truck company's insurance. He is now negotiating with the adjuster after an ex termly low ball offer. More as I find out. I would like to thank every one who provided constructive information.

pain

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Update. The owner was served. It appears LSP has taken the company off of tow rotation. And my brother was contacted by the tow truck company's insurance. He is now negotiating with the adjuster after an ex termly low ball offer. More as I find out. I would kike to thank every one who provided constructive information.

pain

All's well that ends well.

Judge Mental

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Prairieville
    Most files I make my two attempts and turn the papers back in, non-serve. However, for some files, when I'm being ducked, I make a special project out of 'em. One woman gated drive, yapping dogs at the fence. Could see them in the home but wouldn't come to the gate. So I had another investigator drive past the house, lock up his brakes, then get out yelling, "Come quick, your dog!" Worked like a charm. Nice? No, but neither is dodging service.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom