need a nfa trust, anyone have an attorneys info?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Jc I am trying to set up a trust and my brother is an attorney. Where can he find the proper steps to protect his baby brother?

I'd say start with the Louisiana Civil Code. There is no "how-to" section that I am aware of.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I've spent many, many hours developing and drafting the trust document that I use. It is a continuing work in progress and I tailor each client's trust to his/her individual needs and expectations. Further, I am professionally liable for the product and the advice that I give my clients. That is what you are paying for when you hire someone like me, Terry or Kenny to draft a trust for you.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    I used Terrance Knister out of NOLA. Don't know if he gets on here or not. I have his info if you need it. I did everything with him via Email and PayPal. Easy easy easy.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Find a free template and do it yourself. Submit it an e-form, you'll find out in 3 weeks if it's good or not.

This only works with Form 1's and Form 3's currently. I also don't trust quicken to guarantee my state specific NFA trust. To me, it was worth the few hundred bucks

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Find a free template and do it yourself. Submit it an e-form, you'll find out in 3 weeks if it's good or not.

This is not necessarily true and not the best route. ATF will approve a form based on any trust you send them as long as it meets a few checklist items. However, that does not make it valid in Louisiana or a good way to protect yourself and your family. Louisiana substantive law controls and although you may never have an issue with a form trust if the Feds ever decide they want to look at you and your trust is invalid you are screwed.

Any of the attorneys mentioned would be awesome. I know Terry and Joseph personally and they are great guys and attorneys.

As for dishonored he doesn't like me because he wanted me to help him make a form trust off the internet work for him. I don't do that. First, I have a form I use that I have developed over time. Second, I don't know if that trust is the stolen work property of another attorney. Third, if I were to charge him for my time to review and change that trust it would exceed what I would have charged him for one of my trusts. And believe me, he didn't want to use that trust because he wanted "the best"---he wanted "the cheapest". My prices are insanely cheap but I only sell quality. I find that the cheap chislers who want to sacrifice quality to save a nickel are nothing but problems. I can't speak for any of the attorneys here but I don't think they would modify an Internet trust either. I'm sure he'll fire back with something else but I've got thousands of satisfied customers and can count on one hand the people I've fired as customers. He's one.

Have a great day and call if we can be of service.

Best,
    Kenny

Last edited:

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    This is not necessarily true and not the best route. ATF will approve a form based on any trust you send them as long as it meets a few checklist items. However, that does not make it valid in Louisiana or a good way to protect yourself and your family. Louisiana substantive law controls and although you may never have an issue with a form trust if the Feds ever decide they want to look at you and your trust is invalid you are screwed.

This!! I have on occasion had trusts brought to me that had been either self prepared or by an attorney who did not usually do that type of work and that not only were wrong, but also had NFA items on them. These folks had felonies sitting in their gun safes and did not know it.

Both Kenny and Joseph are class acts and extremely trustworthy. (Although I was cursing Kenny driving all the way down to his shop to buy that POF-5 that he somehow knew I needed!)

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

Any of the attorneys mentioned would be awesome. I know Terry and Joseph personally and they are great guys and attorneys.

As for dishonored he doesn't like me because he wanted me to help him make a form trust off the internet work for him. I don't do that. First, I have a form I use that I have developed over time. Second, I don't know if that trust is the stolen work property of another attorney. Third, if I were to charge him for my time to review and change that trust it would exceed what I would have charged him for one of my trusts. And believe me, he didn't want to use that trust because he wanted "the best"---he wanted "the cheapest". My prices are insanely cheap but I only sell quality. I find that the cheap chislers who want to sacrifice quality to save a nickel are nothing but problems. I can't speak for any of the attorneys here but I don't think they would modify an Internet trust either. I'm sure he'll fire back with something else but I've got thousands of satisfied customers and can count on one hand the people I've fired as customers. He's one.

Have a great day and call if we can be of service.

Best,
    Kenny

It had nothing to do with the trust at the end of the day.
    You were unprofessional in my opinion. Bottom line.
    You went off on some rant before I even got to the end of my questions. We didn't even discuss what services you offered or prices.
    I also don't mind paying what has to be paid when the details are actually discussed. You have people who can speak for you as do I. I was never a customer, we didn't make it past the initial 5 minute phone call.
    I won't post on the matter anymore, there isn't much left to say. I know you attorneys are pretty good at pencil whipping us common folk anyway.

I have spoken with both of the others mentioned and have no complaints great guys. I also used an attorney on here for the property line dispute and he has been awesome. We just don't mesh all there is too it.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    As stated, NFA Gun Trust relieve the necessity of having your Chief Law Enforcement Officer "sign off" on your application to own NFA items (suppressors, machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, AOWs...)

• Ability to name multiple users / possessors of the trust property/NFA items.
    • Ability to bequeath the items to beneficiaries without burdening them with reapplication process and another $200 tax fee per item.

This is the main reason I went with a trust. If I'm ever not home, or if something happens to me, I want my family to be able to immediately access the other valuables/paperwork that are in my safe, legally. And I also like that I can lend my NFA items to my dad or whatever if I want to. It's a big benefit that people don't really talk about.

I'd vouch for either JCcypress or Mouthpiece. Never had any dealings with Kenny, although I've only heard good things about him (up until now).

And boys, play nice. No more personal attacks will be tolerated.

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I'd vouch for either JCcypress or Mouthpiece. Never had any dealings with Kenny, although I've only heard good things about him (up until now).

I've dealt with Kenny on numerous occasions and he's always gone above and beyond. And I'm sure the others mentioned are great as well. Best of luck to the OP!

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    This is the main reason I went with a trust. If I'm ever not home, or if something happens to me, I want my family to be able to immediately access the other valuables/paperwork that are in my safe, legally. And I also like that I can lend my NFA items to my dad or whatever if I want to. It's a big benefit that people don't really talk about.

I apologize for the name calling. I wasn't going to get into it. I merely stayed my experience with one of the men mentioned. I will edit my post.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette

OK, explain this "lending" of NFA items. Is your father listed as a Trustee on your trust? I'm curious about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Yes, since people have asked, I made a point to add my wife, parents, and two other people trustholders on mine.
    It makes things simpler if something would ever happen to me.
    Which is my point, that there are reasons to do it besides then primary LEO refusing to sign off.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Yes, since people have asked, I made a point to add my wife, parents, and two other people trustholders on mine.
    It makes things simpler if something would ever happen to me.
    Which is my point, that there are reasons to do it besides then primary LEO refusing to sign off.

gotcha, my wife and brother in law are already listed as trustees. the term lend caught me off guard. as trustees, they own the NFA items as much as you do

Top Bottom