Slide drives forward on magazine insert

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    There, fixed it. Amazing what proper equipment maintenance will do for ya :bigok:

mkcfesosy9lmzz3h1dd2.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    There, fixed it. Amazing what proper equipment maintenance will do for ya :bigok:
    The 90° (or near 90°) angle on the slide, where the slide-stop engages, also will get worn down. When this happens, replacing the slide-stop alone will usually not fix the issue. I'm betting you already are aware of this, but others might not be.

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoyed this video as well as the last one. Thanks for making these.
    Thank you, more are coming.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I don't buy it. You're the second person in a week to make that statement on here and I have trouble accepting it as fact.

The slide stop of a Glock appears to be made of a metal that is softer than the metal that the slide is made of. It would be reasonable to believe that the harder metal slide that is trying to be pulled back forward is being pulled by a much stronger spring that the one pushing up the slide-lock even with the magazine follower pushing up underneath the slide lock.

I've never seen a slide with a divot mark on it from a slide lock, but I don't teach classes on the weekends so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

JR1572

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The 90° (or near 90°) angle on the slide, where the slide-stop engages, also will get worn down.

I'm calling BS on this as well. Unless there are thousands, hundreds of thousands of times that the weapon is cycled this way, there is no way unless there is an issue with a defective slide.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Would that also cause the slide not to lock back when the mag runs dry? Usually it's my thumb causing the problem. If that is indeed happening with students would you consider the weapon to be unsafe or not?

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    It can and does happen. You see it mostly on guns owned by guys who use the slide stop to release the slide.

I'm gonna have to say NO on this as well..... I am on of "those guys" and none of my glocks have this issue, including my old duty gun with 20k+ rounds through it. Thousands of slide lock reloads and numerous replaced parts but no actual measurable metal wear on the slide stop notch. I've seen hundreds if not 1k duty glocks and 3 regimental armorys full of USMC beretta M9s and MEU SOC 1911s and have, to my recollection, never seen that. Ever.

Not saying unicorns don't exist cause I met a mermaid once, but stranger things have happened.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm gonna have to say NO on this as well..... I am on of "those guys" and none of my glocks have this issue, including my old duty gun with 20k+ rounds through it. Thousands of slide lock reloads and numerous replaced parts but no actual measurable metal wear on the slide stop notch. I've seen hundreds if not 1k duty glocks and 3 regimental armorys full of USMC beretta M9s and MEU SOC 1911s and have, to my recollection, never seen that. Ever.

Not saying unicorns don't exist cause I met a mermaid once, but stranger things have happened.

You can say no, and I believe you when you say you've never seen it, but I've seen it. Remember most of the surface hardness on Glock slides comes from the tennifer finish, and they've put out guns that had inconsistent/poor finish over the years. That may have played a part, I wish I could say I paid attention to the specific gun details. Now is it common? Absolutely not. And is it the main cause of slides auto forwarding on reload? Not hardly. Any wear on the slide stop and/or notch will exacerbate the issue, but people have reported brand new guns, Glocks included, that auto forward when the mag is slammed home. It's not rocket science, just basic physics.

Now tell us more about this mermaid... :naughty:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    So what kind of malfunction happens? The mag is seated it should pick up a round and send it home, rite??
    I agree. Except, when the person lets their thumb ride the slide release when they insert. The upward inertia could cause them to depress and release the slide micro-seconds before the magazine seats, thus missing a round.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I would just like to see some statistical data on this issue. Make, model, caliber, round count, age of firearm, etc.

I'm not calling anyone liars or frauds, but some supporting information would be excellent.

I'll check my 15 year old 10k round count 27 later on.

JR1572

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    You can say no, and I believe you when you say you've never seen it, but I've seen it. Remember most of the surface hardness on Glock slides comes from the tennifer finish, and they've put out guns that had inconsistent/poor finish over the years. That may have played a part, I wish I could say I paid attention to the specific gun details. Now is it common? Absolutely not. And is it the main cause of slides auto forwarding on reload? Not hardly. Any wear on the slide stop and/or notch will exacerbate the issue, but people have reported brand new guns, Glocks included, that auto forward when the mag is slammed home. It's not rocket science, just basic physics.

Now tell us more about this mermaid... :naughty:
    Tennifer is not a finish. It is a metal treatment. It exists inside the metal (that's probably a super dumb way of explaining it.) Anyway, it yields a metal of 64-68 rockwell hardness. Diamond hard. I would be amazed to see a pot metal slide stop wear into the slide. Wear off the surface finish? Maybe. But that isn't tennifer, that's a generic finish and glock has changed that finish numerous times.

Also, Glocks are not tennifer treated anymore. It's process now is called "Nitration." They claim that it yields the same rockwell hardness and corrosion resistant properties.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Tennifer treatment is part of the "finish", just like anodizing (also a metal treatment) is referred to as a finish. Point was Glock has made changes to both their metal treatment and surface coatings over the years, and it's not unreasonable to believe that some have worked better than others, or that not every slide they've ever produced was perfect.

And as far as I know the slide stops are and always have been stamped steel, not pot metal. Unless it's one of the parts they switched to MIM in the last couple years, but even their MIM parts are a far cry from being pot metal.

Bottom line is I've seen it. Twice that I can recall, out of hundreds of guns I've seen/messed with over the years. I've also seen a Glock pitted with rust, which also *shouldn't* happen. I wouldn't call either issue anything remotely close to common, but nothing is impossible and no manufacturer is infallible. But please, you guys feel free to keep trying to convince me I didn't see something that I did.

i-seent-it.jpg

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    It is purely an inertia issue. Some people slap it hard enough to jar the slide a bit and the slide stop spring does its job.... I never rely on it being 100% though. If the gun goes into battery that way, about 98% of the time there will be a round chambered. However I have seen it happen and a click follow it upon occasion.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Bottom line is I've seen it. Twice that I can recall, out of hundreds of guns I've seen/messed with over the years. I've also seen a Glock pitted with rust, which also *shouldn't* happen. I wouldn't call either issue anything remotely close to common, but nothing is impossible and no manufacturer is infallible. But please, you guys feel free to keep trying to convince me I didn't see something that I did.

These were two factory glocks? No crazy aftermarket mods, like super tactical ultra combat slide or crap like that? Or was it on something other than glocks? I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just saying I've never heard of it. I've been around glocks a hot minute and never seen measurable metal wear on a slide stop notch. I have friends that work for Glock and have never spoken of it and they have literally seen thousands of heavy use duty guns in their time. I've seen peening on 40 and 357sig glocks, I've seen bad finishes from Glock, I've seen dicked up parts from Glock, but never seen that is all.

........and it was apparently a big enough issue to rate a 3+ minute video about it.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

These were two factory glocks? No crazy aftermarket mods, like super tactical ultra combat slide or crap like that? Or was it on something other than glocks? I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just saying I've never heard of it. I've been around glocks a hot minute and never seen measurable metal wear on a slide stop notch. I have friends that work for Glock and have never spoken of it and they have literally seen thousands of heavy use duty guns in their time. I've seen peening on 40 and 357sig glocks, I've seen bad finishes from Glock, I've seen dicked up parts from Glock, but never seen that is all.

........and it was apparently a big enough issue to rate a 3+ minute video about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom