advice needed from BGE aficionados

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    So I just got a Big Green Egg for my birthday and haven't been able to keep my hands off of it. So far I've done steaks and hamburgers on it (I used some cheap steaks so if I messed them up I wasn't out a while lot) and they came out beautifully. Last night I did a couple of pizzas and I don't think I will ever look at an oven baked pizza the same again. Right now I have a 3 lb. brisket chilling in a rub in the fridge. Everything I've seen there aren't two ways that agree on cooking a brisket. I figured 5-6 hours at 225 may do the trick. Let me know of any tips and tricks that you guys may have while cooking slow and low that may help. Also just for disclaimer I do have a plate setter and drip pan for indirect heat.

Dock Rocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Jackson, MS
    Get a good thermometer and start cooking by the temp of the meat. Being able to watch your meat temp as you cook is an awesome thing. I would also recommend joining one of the green egg forums. It a great place to get beginner advice and recipes.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Get 2 good thermometers
    1 surface temp
    1 internal temp

I've never used one so I can't say anything personally about them. I do have a good friend who had one given to him and after a year he gave it back to his inlaws. He said every time you want to cook something different ie pizza stone, rib rack ect it's another $100 for their specialty product. He also said it was way more trouble than a normal BBQ pit.
    I know the BGE has a tremendous following for a reason but that was his take on it.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    So I just got a Big Green Egg for my birthday and haven't been able to keep my hands off of it. So far I've done steaks and hamburgers on it (I used some cheap steaks so if I messed them up I wasn't out a while lot) and they came out beautifully. Last night I did a couple of pizzas and I don't think I will ever look at an oven baked pizza the same again. Right now I have a 3 lb. brisket chilling in a rub in the fridge. Everything I've seen there aren't two ways that agree on cooking a brisket. I figured 5-6 hours at 225 may do the trick. Let me know of any tips and tricks that you guys may have while cooking slow and low that may help. Also just for disclaimer I do have a plate setter and drip pan for indirect heat.

I'm in the same boat as you. I just got one a week ago and have done steaks, drunken chicken, brisket, burgers, stuffed chicken, ribs....I can't stop using the thing. Pizza is next for me. Once I learned the trick to controlling the heat, the amount of charcoal, etc it was a breeze to cook on.

On my first and only attempt so far at brisket, it came out OK. I used the plate setter and set it on the grill and let it cook at 350* for 6 hours. It was good, I didn't use a drip pan, but I will next time to make it more tender.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the pizza comes out absolutely incredible. Far better than you'd think - give it a whirl.

otherwise the steaks, ribs, and drunk chicken are all favorites.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    He said every time you want to cook something different ie pizza stone, rib rack ect it's another $100 for their specialty product.

Yes, looking through the accessories catalog most of them are pretty outrageously priced. I bought the plate setter from BGE and thats about it. I can either "MacGyver" something that I want to use, or buy from another outfitter for almost 1/2 the price. Lol. Thanks for the tips guys, I will need to invest in a better surface thermometer. I have a decent digital internal thermometer, but I hate lifting the lid to check it often. I thought there were some that you could place and have an external digital readout. I may have to look into one of those. I'm getting ready to fire it up now!

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Yes, looking through the accessories catalog most of them are pretty outrageously priced. I bought the plate setter from BGE and thats about it. I can either "MacGyver" something that I want to use, or buy from another outfitter for almost 1/2 the price. Lol. Thanks for the tips guys, I will need to invest in a better surface thermometer. I have a decent digital internal thermometer, but I hate lifting the lid to check it often. I thought there were some that you could place and have an external digital readout. I may have to look into one of those. I'm getting ready to fire it up now!

Let us know how it comes out.

Do you guys make your own pizza too? I have the pizza stone also, and the guy who sold it to me said he sometimes makes his own pizza, but sometimes just gets a frozen pizza from Wal-Mart and says that turns out great too.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I will need to invest in a better surface thermometer. I have a decent digital internal thermometer, but I hate lifting the lid to check it often. I thought there were some that you could place and have an external digital readout. I may have to look into one of those. I'm getting ready to fire it up now!

I had bought one from Radioshack a couple years ago that worked very well, especially when you're smoking something. I've made some mean smoked meat loafs using that baby! It has a probe that connected to a unit you could mount on the outside, that has a digital readout. I bought it on clearance, and I don't think they make this model anymore, but I'd be surprised if I spent more than $30 on it. Highly recommended!

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Let us know how it comes out.

Do you guys make your own pizza too? I have the pizzs stone also, and the guy who sold it to me said he sometimes makes his own pizza, but sometimes just gets a frozen pizza from Wal-Mart and says that turns out great too.

Last night we did a Papa Murphy's pizza. Just be sure to tell them to put it on a parchment type paper before putting it in their bakeable pan. I wanted the pizza directly on the stone instead of trying to put the pan on the stone. If it's on paper you can slide it right off the pan and onto the stone. After a couple minutes once the crust starts getting hard you can pull the paper out. If you try to remove the pizza directly from the pan it will be a mess.

Last edited:

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Last night we did a Papa Murphy's pizza. Just be sure to tell them to put it on a parchment type paper before putting it in their bakeable pan. I wanted the pizza directly on the stone instead of trying to put the pan on the stone. If it's on paper you can slide it right off the pan and onto the stone. After a couple minutes once the crust starts getting hard you can pull the paper out. If you try to remove the pizza directly from the pan it will be a mess.

Thanks! I am going to try it this weekend.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Update- I had the lid temp gauge set at 300° and after 4 hours the brisket was at 190°. If I can figure out how to upload pics I took a before and after shot. Right now it's wrapped up in tin foil and towels just hanging out in a cooler for an hour or so then comes the real test!

bluwaterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    hammond
    Hi, I work in the food industry. One thing we do that most people dont know about is putting proteins of all kinds in a brine. I tend to use them on large cuts, like a pork shoulder, and whole turkeys. Once you do this, you will never do it any other way. A brine is pretty easy to do. take a large pot and fill it with water. 1-2# of brown sugar, about a cup of kosher salt and whole peppercorns. You can customize it to your liking. Some people add bay leaves, cloves, etc. Bring it up to a boil and shut it down after it boils for 3=5 minutes. Add enough ice to cool it, so when you pour it over whatever your gonna cook later it doesnt start to cook it. (less than 100 deg) I usually put the meat in a large container and pour the brine over it enough to submerge and then add a little more ice for good measure. Soak overnight. Remove following day and pat dry. You will be shocked how juicy and tender things turn out doing this. ****Brines can only be used once****

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Bluwaterman- I never thought of putting a brisket in a brine before. As a matter of fact the only way I've done them was with a rub and maybe injected marinade and a mop sauce. I'm going to try a brine next time. So far everything that I've done on the grill has been excellent. My wife loves it because she hasn't cooked one night since we've had it. I am going to buy a better temp gauge next. I like the one u have, enutees, but judging by reviews the QC seems to have suffered recently, possibly after you got yours. I may have to get one to give it a try though.

bluwaterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    hammond
    give it a whirl, you wont regret it. Got a buddy who does brisket on the competition level. He uses old wine barrels for his smoking stock. Interesting flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom