Flash hider permanently attached,

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Can anyone recommend a local gunsmith (New Orleans) surrounding areas who can do this. I was talking to a guy in harahan but he seems pretty busy and I'd like to get it done ASAP so I can finish this build.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I don't do them anymore because of the headache, I couldn't stand to see a barrel ruined like that, and it costs nearly the same to go buy a new barrel that's already 16" or just do an SBR.

ABN_INF

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    belle chasse
    Really? Adco does it for $30 if I can't find someone local I'm gonna send it to them...I'm no machinist, but what's so hard about it?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    If you're looking for a $30 threading job, then nothing hard about it and you're right...you can do it yourself pretty easily. A hack saw, a hand drill, a 1/2x28tpi die, some high temp solder and a torch ought to fix it right up. Good luck!
    don't forget an angle grinder to dress down the burrs from threading, remember you want this to be professional looking

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I think you guys are misunderstanding he has a threaded 14.5" barrel and simply needs a muzzle device pinned or silver soldered on.

Correct. I have gotten quotes from local guys as well for this and was surprised at price I was quoted. Seems like a quick, simple job if you have the right tools. Maybe I am missing something?:confused:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Correct. I have gotten quotes from local guys as well for this and was surprised at price I was quoted. Seems like a quick, simple job if you have the right tools. Maybe I am missing something?:confused:

To do it right as per the ATF, the flash hider has to either be welded on or pinned and then hi-temp soldered on. It has to be secured to the point in that the barrel would be destroyed in the process of removing the flash hider. So, either you have the CROWN of your barrel heated up to the point of changing the metal stresses (or worse) at the most important part of the barrel...OR you are drilling a hole past the threads, inserting a steel pin, and then heating up the barrel to the point of changing it's stresses but now it has a VERY thin weak point. It takes 15min of direct heat from a propane torch to heat up a barrel enough to melt 1100 degree silver solder ($50 a roll mind you). MAPP will get it faster, but you can really get it too hot easily. Not to mention that all of this WILL destroy any coating you have on it. It can't be welded in place with a crush washer and it's not really a good idea to have shims in the weld either, so if going with a weld then the FH has to be timed to start out with. That takes a lathe and about an hour of shop time on a good day.

It's a pain in the ass for an inch and a half.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    If that is truly the case, I wonder why so many people run 14.5" barrels with pinned FH's? I wonder I companies like BCM offer 14.5" assemblies with pinned FH's but don't mention anything about compromising the barrel?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ritten is technically correct, although he has a "precision" mindset and builds works of art that are measured in 1/100th MOA. For normal use on regular ARs it's just fine. My DD is a 14.5" barrel with pinned FH (with crush washer) and it's just as accurate as my 16" BCM.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The way I understood it, as long as the FH is pinned, it doesn't need to be welded. What is the consensus on this? If this is true, then pinning a FH should be a very quick and easy job with the correct tools which is why I can see how Adco can do the job for $30 all day long.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The way I understood it, as long as the FH is pinned, it doesn't need to be welded. What is the consensus on this? If this is true, then pinning a FH should be a very quick and easy job with the correct tools which is why I can see how Adco can do the job for $30 all day long.

You have to blind pin it and weld over the hole.

Here's mine after welding before coating.

u2a6e3ep.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    You have to blind pin it and weld over the hole.

Here's mine after welding before coating.

u2a6e3ep.jpg

Yes, that is the way I understood it. The way Ritten explains the method, it requires pinning, then welding where the FH meets the barrel after being installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom