Cook & Brother

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a little something Louisiana related from my thesis research ...

CookBrother_zps5rkeoqks.jpg

Cook & Brother was started by Ferdinand Cook and Francis Cook in New Orleans, LA in 1861. Their guns were well made and are now treasured collectibles (the few I've seen sell go for many thousands of dollars each). My research shows that they moved to Selma, Alabama in 1862 and Athens, Georgia around 1863 before going out of business a few years later.

I've come across a number of gun merchants that coined/printed their own money (Benjamin Kittredge in Cincinnati, Ohio comes to mind), but this is the first piece of currency from a gun manufacturer that I've ever seen.

There were a number of companies producing paper currency during this time; banks, in particular, took delight in having elaborate scrip printed. I haven't tracked the engravings on this bill yet, but it's entirely possible that there are many other currency pressings out there that had the same engravings.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Aah, neat! I didn't know there were reproductions being produced. Maybe they're more popular than I understood them to be.

I just started researching Cook & Brother last week (and still trying to figure out how relevant this is to my research). Clearly I still have a lot of work to do.

Mike

Top Bottom