Glock platform designed around 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I've heard this before and read it on different sites.
    The notion is that the existing Glock platform other than .45acp models was originally designed and concieved around the 9mm caliber. Of course, the first Glock model (G17) is a 9mm, but does that mean that .40S&W and .357SIG models basically borrowed the 9mm platform and just bored out the slides to accommodate their respective barrels? If so, what does that mean, if anything at all?
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    This is a Generation 3 frame. We do not currently offer Generation 4 frames.

This is a GLOCK OEM empty frame. PARTS ARE NOT INCLUDED WITH THIS ITEM. This frame is for use with 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 SIG, & 45 GAP slides.

The frames are all the same, with the exception of the 45 and 10mm.

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    if you reed saami pressures 9mm, 40, & 357 sig are all around 35K cup. if you look at cartridge design, the heavier bullet of the 40, requires more force, to move it through the barrel & the bottleneck case of the .357 sig increases gas velocity. more force, more velocity will have a greater impact on the frame.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Using defensive ammunition the energy at the muzzle of the .40 and .45 GAP is usually within 10% of the 9mm.
    When you compare the defensive ammunition of .357 Sig to the 9mm the energy level rises approximately 25%.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Already the G36 is .45cal and just 28mm wide. The G41 is lighter than the G21. I would imagine it's only a matter of time before they start slimming down the entire .45 lineup.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I was referencing the frame strength requirements, not necessarily the power out the barrel of the various calibers.

Given that the glock is a locked breech gun, the force exerted by firing has to drive the mass of the slide/barrel assembly backwards, against the recoil spring pressure. Once that operation is underway the barrel does contact the locking block and force is exerted through that block into the frame. Not sure if glock measured this force in the design phase (I can imagine they do) but I am sure there is a balancing act with the other masses and spring weights depending on caliber.

A 3rd pin was introduced to the locking block (2nd really, the 3rd pin is the trigger pivot) when the G22 was released, likely due to need of extra support for the locking block. The force is not really taken by the pins alone, as the block does drop into a slot in the frame and the sides of that slot will likely take the bulk of the force as that force is exerted backwards.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I also was reference frame strength. Equal and opposite reactions. Greater force out of the barrel, is also more force against the locked breech. The 9mm glock frames handles, this increase with no problems. Seems as though they are over built. (also h&k USp). A blue moon ago I read an article on glock's FEA testing. Pretty interesting

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I also was reference frame strength. Equal and opposite reactions. Greater force out of the barrel, is also more force against the locked breech. The 9mm glock frames handles, this increase with no problems. Seems as though they are over built. (also h&k USp). A blue moon ago I read an article on glock's FEA testing. Pretty interesting

I would assume they were designed to fire 9mm NATO which is basically a +p round. Muzzle energy from ammo on the higher side of the spec should have as much muzzle energy a lot of the 40 or 357 sig loadings.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom