1992 Honda 300 Fourtrax won't stay running without choke on

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papasmurf1269

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Not trying to be a smart ass but you put a question mark behind your answer. Are you taking a guess or do you know that is the problem. Thanks.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Just a guess, that's usually my problem when I can't keep something running, though I've never had anything that old, so it could be more complicated. It's usually best to start with the simple things when troubleshooting. I spent a week and took a bike halfway apart to find that I'd unknowingly bumped the kill switch once.

Last edited:

johnnyastro22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2012
    The carburetor jets, especially the idle jet, are very small. Cleaning them after they've become restricted with old fuel (smells and acts like furniture varnish) is generally not going to work.

You need to get a carburetor rebuild kit, it'll have all new jets, float bowl gasket, float valve and more.

The TRX300 kit is still readily available and is probably in stock at Friendly in Baton Rouge.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    One thing short of a carb overhaul you can try is to let it run on a concentrated fuel and Seafoam mix. Seafoam is available at most auto parts houses and even most Walmarts. It will clean those small passageways that you can't. It will clean carbon out of the cylinder and off the piston and valves. It will make your neighbors think you set your house on fire as the exhaust will smoke like crazy. You will need to replace your spark plug after using a concentrated Seafoam treatment.

Good Luck!!

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Check the slow jet. When a bike won't idle, even warmed up, that is likely the problem. I seem to have had to clean or replace mine every couple of years when I had ATV's, despite gas treatment and draining the carb.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I've been a motorcycle tech for 20+ years.
    As others have said, sounds like pilot jet (aka slow jet) is plugged.
    Either varnish or mildew from ethenol.
    Clean or replace jet, clean other gunked up items and fresh fuel, give it a try.
    We try to run non-ethonol fuel with heavy mix of marine formula Stabil in all our small engine and seldom have to clean a Carb.
    Good luck, hope that's all it is.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Just a guess...but check to see if the base gasket for the carb has a vac leak.

Spray some carb cleaner at base gasket...listening for RPM change in engine.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    No one will be able to definitively identify your issue off your original post, so it is all a guess. Sounds like your running lean due to restriction in the idle circuit, most likely from bad fuel (sat to long without stabilizer). as suggested, cleaning the idle jet may work. Rather than replacing jets, I would completely disassemble the carburetor(s), setting aside anything made of plastic or rubber or paper. Any adjustment screw you remove, be sure to bottom it out first, writing down how many turns it took, so that it can be adjusted to that position again. Soak all parts in B-12 chem dip http://www.berrymanproducts.com/pro...rryman-chem-dip-carburetor-and-parts-cleaner/ available at all auto parts stores for a couple days. Reassemble, positioning idle mixture and any balancing screws you removed to the same position. It should run great. Many times the varnish restricting the gas flow is in the small passages in the carburetor body, and hosing it with cleaner just won't get it like a good soak in the cleaner bucket. Use fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil) in anything you let gas sit in for a month or more (anything but your daily driver.) Just a personal observation, gas doesn't seem to last as long as it did 10 years ago or so. I figure the gas company's used to put some form of an octane stabilizer in the gas mixture and have stopped to keep profits high (just a wild guess, It just seems to not last as long as it used to) making stabilizer more important than before.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Had this happen dozens of times with various bike and always either trash or water in the carb. Just the condensation can form a small drop of water in the carb and that single drop can restrict a jet.
    Simple solution is to be able to remove and disassemble a carb and put it back on. Don't wast money on a carb rebuild Killy unless it has sat for a long time and crusted over. Be careful with the bowl gasket because once it is removed and especially if hit with carb cleaner, it swells and will not go back in place. There are simple fixes for that too though.
    Take the money someone suggested spending on a carb kit (around $30) and buy a set of torch too cleaners, a couple cans of carb cleaner and replace the Phillips head bowl screws with Allen head screws, put the other $15 back in your pocket.
    Disassembling and reassembling this carb is dirt simple and self explanatory, just put everything back they way it was.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    this is for EVERYONE [ except general mills and Cochise ].

I have Nothing against Seafoam, HOWEVER , for some reason people think seafoam is the BOMB.

Berrymans Chemtool is 100% better.......... Why you ask, Because it contains a chemical 2-Butoxyethanol

Take Seafoam then add 2-Butoxyethanol and you end up with Berrymans chemtool.

The concentration of 2-Butoxyethanol in Berrymans is a little weak. [ about 5% ]
    [ It has to be for commercial over the counter sales, if used improperly you can do some serious damage ]

We use a 30% mix and let me tell you , you would be amazed at what this stuff will dissolve .

So pass up the Seafoam, and start using Berrymans [ follow mix instructions on the can ] ...... Save ~$3 and be amazed at how much better it cleans.

Top Bottom