Can i buy a gun in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have looked over some things and from what I can see I am not allowed to buy a gun from another person unless we go to a ffl in mississippi but could I buy a gun from a dealer in Louisiana or at a gun show with my Mississippi license? For that matter could I buy a gun online and have it shipped to Louisiana and pick it up with my Mississippi license?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    It must be from a ffl and only long guns ie. Rifles or shotguns with stocks. If you were to buy a gun from a la resident and do the transfer at a Louisiana ffl it could only be a long gun. If it was a Louisiana resident and you met at a Mississippi ffl I believe handguns could be transferred as well as long as you meet all requirements. As far as a la gun show goes as long as the person is a ffl and you follow the above rules.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    You can buy any gun in any state ,Rifles can be bought at any FFl in any state with any DL.
    But pistols have to be shipped to your FFL in your residing state.

Pistol can be shipped dealer-dealer UPS 2nd day air.
    Pistol can be shipped person-dealer UPS next day air.
    Rifle can be shipped in-state person/person UPS ground.
    Rifle can be shipped out of state person-dealer UPS ground.

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    You can buy any gun in any state ,Rifles can be bought at any FFl in any state with any DL.

generaly yes on the rifle purchase in any state but not completely Georgia for one does not accept a Louisiana drivers liscense....

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I have looked over some things and from what I can see I am not allowed to buy a gun from another person unless we go to a ffl in mississippi but could I buy a gun from a dealer in Louisiana or at a gun show with my Mississippi license? For that matter could I buy a gun online and have it shipped to Louisiana and pick it up with my Mississippi license?

Josh, this outlines and answers a lot of buying and selling questions by unlicensed persons:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I was in Georgia and could not purchase a rifle in that state. Shreveport atf office said yes, new orleans said no. Atlanta said yes, macon ga office said no. Atf doesn't know what they are doing. Moral of the story slowandluekum said he could by a rifle in any state with any dl, and I know from first hand experience you can't in ga according to atf.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I was in Georgia and could not purchase a rifle in that state. Shreveport atf office said yes, new orleans said no. Atlanta said yes, macon ga office said no. Atf doesn't know what they are doing. Moral of the story slowandluekum said he could by a rifle in any state with any dl, and I know from first hand experience you can't in ga according to atf.

Actually, Georgia will "accept a Louisiana drivers license."

§ 10-1-101. Nonresidents may purchase rifles and shotguns in Georgia
    Residents of any state of the United States may purchase rifles and shotguns in the State of Georgia, provided such residents conform to applicable provisions of statutes and regulations of the United States, of the State of Georgia, and of the state in which such persons reside.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1969, p. 804, § 2; Ga. L. 2002, p. 977, § 1.

LA repealed the contiguous state language that was in R.S. 40:1801-4. And it was up for interpretation whether the old law actually made buying in a non-contiguous state illegal.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=760289

More about it below:
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6800

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    See that's what I thought and was told by the Shreveport and atlanta atf office. The macon and new orleans said no, yelled no. Did everything but cuss me out, actually made me scared to attempt to buy a gun in Georgia. One ffl there said I could and three others said I couldn't which is why I called in the first place. New orleans office was the worst the way the guy talked to me I felt like I was going to be tased and arrested if I would been face to face just for asking. Macon office just seemed like they didn't know anything. I honestly feel as if now I was speaking with anti-gun liberals. I wish I could have found that legislation when I was there I would have told them what article to look up. In the end I had the guns I wanted shipped home.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Its funny you say something like that about Georgia.I lived in Florida for many years and traveled to Georgia many times.They are definitely pro gun.

Most every town that I visited begged you to buy a gun.In fact they just passed a law ,I cant remember which town,but some small town in
    Georgia requires you to own a gun to be able to reside in that town.

I remember years ago working in north Carolina.I would go to the gun stores to looky look.If I went around xmas time ,they were always sold out.
    Even pawn shops at xmas times would be sold out of guns.

I also lived in Washington state for a few years.There I was able to walk in the local PD and fill out a form and pay $50 and they
    would run a BG chk in about 3-5 minutes.As long as everything was ok.,you would receive a Concealed carry permit.

And that was the most liberal state I have everrr lived in.

Your not in Cali any more toto lol.....

Last edited:

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Its funny you say something like that about Georgia.I lived in Florida for many years and traveled to Georgia many times.They are definitely pro gun.

Most every town that I visited begged you to buy a gun.In fact they just passed a law ,I cant remember which town,but some small town in
    Georgia requires you to own a gun to be able to reside in that town.

I remember years ago working in north Carolina.I would go to the gun stores to looky look.If I went around xmas time ,they were always sold out.
    Even pawn shops at xmas times would be sold out of guns.

I also lived in Washington state for a few years.There I was able to walk in the local PD and fill out a form and pay $50 and they
    would run a BG chk in about 3-5 minutes.As long as everything was ok.,you would receive a Concealed carry permit.

And that was the most liberal state I have everrr lived in.

Your not in Cali any more toto lol.....

I believe it is Kennesaw.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    My suggestion is that go talk directly with a reputable FFL dealer. My guys really know their stuff and recently cleared up a similar issue yesterday. People on this or any other forum will give you all kinds of advice about "some law here...when I lived there...etc". Do you really want to risk being caught doing something illegal and then say, but so-and-so on bayoushooter said I could! LOL...not going to fly.

As a specific example, I noticed another member gave you specific information about shipping. Ask him to show you in writing where he got that information he gave you about the REQUIREMENT to ship handguns via first or second day AIR.

In summary, it comes down to this: Federal law (ATF) cover interstate regulation of firearms, if it doesn't cross state lines the Feds aren't interested. Individual states have their own respective laws for transactions within the state. So, you need to know both.

If you want to get good advice, PM me and I'll refer you to the shop I use here locally. The owner is prior USMC and is pro military. Transfer fees are $15.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    "My suggestion is that go talk directly with a reputable FFL dealer"

That s a joke.I remember the last time some one said that.The FFL dealer sent their gun back to
    Florida and the guy had issues for weeks over it.I have seen many times where these so called
    reputable FFl dealers don't now crap.That is why they have an a ATF representative to tell
    them what is right from wrong.Just because you have enough money to open a biz and get an
    FFL license doesn't constitute you as knowing everything about gun laws.

That is like saying a LEO knows all the laws of the state.They are not there to know the laws.
    They are there to enforce them.That is why you have court and judges to decide if the law was
    broken.Same as with FFL dealers.They are their to sell guns and accessories,not to dictate the
    laws of the ATF.Sure it would be nice to be able to ask a LEO the law or an FFL dealer the ATF
    laws,but if you are expecting them to know them,you are sadly mistaken in what they are there
    for.

"if it doesn't cross state lines the Feds aren't interested. Individual states have their own respective
    laws for transactions within the state."

That is one of the dumbest things I have read in months.The feds are always interested if you are doing
    something illegal.As far as state laws.Federal laws supersede state laws as far as I know.

And as far as people giving advice on this forum.I have rarely seen mis advice or mis quoted laws
    given on this forum.Most on here are very intelligent people that do know most of the ATF laws
    and are very familiar with them.To say that on this forum,that people just loosely give advice is
    redundant.If some one is giving an opinion,they more than likely respond with IMHO or as far as
    I know,correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems as though these kind of questions really bring out the best or worst in some..

As far as showing some one in writing.Everything I have shown you and others is clearly stated
    on the ATF site.Maybe before telling some one what to do and giving advice of going to so and so.
    You should read more about it ,instead of trying to put down others for helping some one......

I guess it is true.people do live up to their name ......

Last edited:

fepowered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wisconsin

Federal law allows handguns to be sent UPS in-state person to person...

ATF FAQ

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Last edited:

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a
    resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common
    or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal
    law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a
    firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing
    any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Very nice fepowered.I am just curious as to why a lot of people on forums do not believe
    that law lol...

Also I just began doing business with a company out of California.I know,I know,,whyyy lol...
    Well they were the only company that has Spikes zombie lowers in stock.1000,s in fact.
    Well anyway,after purchasing the lowers,I received a call from the company saying they
    were making sure it was legal to ship to me,since the FFL I was using is in another state.I
    told her,I do it weekly and proceeded to explain the buying long guns in other states.I really
    am not sure why any company would ask a common person about laws.

Well as I was speaking to her,she divulged the reason she was asking was because in
    California,you have to have a California DL to buy any gun,period.I said oh really.I did not
    know that.

SO anywhooo.My lowers are headed eastbound and down and I just wanted to let yall
    know,,uhhh California laws suck lol....SO add another state that requires you to have
    an in state DL to buy any gun.. Happy New Year to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom