concealed carry at work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I couldn't find anything in the gun law thread that says this is permitted, but I think I remember reading somewhere that you could conceal a weapon at work with permission from the store owner(without having a CHP). Am I just dreaming things or did I read that it was legal?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You need a CHP and permission to carry at work. In other words, even with a CHP, you still need approval of the business owner to carry concealed. You cannot carry concealed without a CHP anywhere but in your home.

Technically, you aren't even supposed to enter anyone else's home without express permission.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I don't think it is legal, but I remember seeing something about that. Maybe it was on another forum and from another state?

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    You need a CHP and permission to carry at work. In other words, even with a CHP, you still need approval of the business owner to carry concealed. You cannot carry concealed without a CHP anywhere but in your home.

Technically, you aren't even supposed to enter anyone else's home without express permission.

That's what I thought. Thanks

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I think concealed is legal if you are the business owner, regardless of permit. Maybe I'm wrong. I also think that concealed while in a persons residence, if given permission, is OK with or without a permit.

I could be totally wrong on both fronts.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I think concealed is legal if you are the business owner, regardless of permit. Maybe I'm wrong. I also think that concealed while in a persons residence, if given permission, is OK with or without a permit.

I could be totally wrong on both fronts.

I'm new here, so forgive me, but I'll jump right into the fray. :)

Being on your private property does not convey, by itself, a right to do something that is otherwise illegal. There is nothing in the law that makes an exception to the illegal carrying of weapons statute for business owners or home owners.

Consider this scenario, for example: you are in your home and concealing a gun on your person. The police knock on your door to question you about something and you let them in (obviously a mistake, but bear with me). You don't tell them you are carrying. When they come inside, they see, in plain sight, something illegal -- they see a stereo or something they know was stolen because it has the victim's name on it or something. Whatever, but it gives them plenty of probable cause to arrest you. They arrest you and in doing so, find the gun on your person. I don't see any reason why they could not also charge you with a violation of 14:95, illegal carrying of a weapon, even though you never stepped out of your own house.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I don't know about conceal carry, but where I used to work. The boss his sons and his daughter all had guns in their offices. but I think on of the sons told me that he had talked to the sheriff and the sheriff told him he could conceal cary inside the store without a CCW.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I don't know about conceal carry, but where I used to work. The boss his sons and his daughter all had guns in their offices. but I think on of the sons told me that he had talked to the sheriff and the sheriff told him he could conceal cary inside the store without a CCW.

Well, just remember, if you do get busted for illegally concealing a weapon, it won't be an excuse that a LEO told you it was okay. Actually, it wouldn't even be a defense if a lawyer told you it was okay. (How screwed up is that?)

IMO, it is illegal. I would advise a client who asked me this to go ahead and get the CCW... or just open carry.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I just re-read 14:95 for the 1,000th time and sure enough there is nothing about being able to legally carry on your property.

Thanks for coming in and bringing all this bad news to our little club!

Just joking, welcome to the board.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Well, just remember, if you do get busted for illegally concealing a weapon, it won't be an excuse that a LEO told you it was okay. Actually, it wouldn't even be a defense if a lawyer told you it was okay. (How screwed up is that?)

IMO, it is illegal. I would advise a client who asked me this to go ahead and get the CCW... or just open carry.

So wait a minute, you're telling me that it's illegal for me to carry a concealed pistol in my own house, or in my vehicle????

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    So wait a minute, you're telling me that it's illegal for me to carry a concealed pistol in my own house, or in my vehicle????

Yep.

Now, that's just my opinion. And just because I'm a lawyer doesn't mean I'm right. Hell, if I'm wrong, I'd love to find that out. It would be good to know for future reference.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I thought concealed carry in your car is legal, but if you step foot out of your vehicle is becomes illegal, same for property...

I havent seen the law written that way, but I thought it had been established through case law.

and also...I do not have cases at hand

Same thing for a Bar owner being able to carry a gun in his Bar...and/o requiring his employees to carry.

LAYNFRM

in the fire
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    central/pride
    i wish the BRFD SOP's didn't say we can't have a firearm at work. i'd carry on everything but fire calls. bitches be crazy in mall city

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I just happened to come across a case in unrelated "gun-law" research today that seems to confirm that, yes, you can be arrested for concealed carry on your own property. State v. Snoddy, 389 So.2d 377 (La., 1980).

What happened is that Sheriff deputies were out to arrest this guy's brother. They knew he wasn't the guy they wanted to arrest. He was on his property with a shotgun and a concealed pistol. He put the shotgun down when the deputies showed up. They asked him to come to their car and be frisked. They found the handgun and arrested him for illegal CC. He was convicted. The conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court, but not because it was on his property, but because the deputies had no reason to search him. OTOH, the opinion says there were other arguments that they didn't have to get to, so it is not necessarily conclusive on the issue, but interesting nonetheless. The bottom line is that you can be arrested, and convicted, for illegal CC on your property.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I just happened to come across a case in unrelated "gun-law" research today that seems to confirm that, yes, you can be arrested for concealed carry on your own property. State v. Snoddy, 389 So.2d 377 (La., 1980).

What happened is that Sheriff deputies were out to arrest this guy's brother. They knew he wasn't the guy they wanted to arrest. He was on his property with a shotgun and a concealed pistol. He put the shotgun down when the deputies showed up. They asked him to come to their car and be frisked. They found the handgun and arrested him for illegal CC. He was convicted. The conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court, but not because it was on his property, but because the deputies had no reason to search him. OTOH, the opinion says there were other arguments that they didn't have to get to, so it is not necessarily conclusive on the issue, but interesting nonetheless. The bottom line is that you can be arrested, and convicted, for illegal CC on your property.

this is without a permit?

it should be fine if its on your own property without a permit

I Love Grits

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    this is without a permit?

it should be fine if its on your own property without a permit

He was on his property with a shotgun and a concealed pistol. They found the handgun and arrested him for illegal CC. He was convicted. The bottom line is that you can be arrested, and convicted, for illegal CC on your property.

According to this, its not fine.

Top Bottom