Questions for LSP CHP Division

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    1. Is it legal to carry a concealed weapon while at a parade?

2. How does someone determine which liquor permit an establishment has? I am thinking of Chili's, TGI Friday's, etc.

3. Is it legal to carry a concealed weapon while in the non-secure area of an airport?

The questions are not should someone carry a concealed weapon in these areas but is it legal.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    1. Can I carry at a recreational baseball park?
    2. How can I convince others to carry?
    3. What are the ramifications if you leave your wallet (CHP included) at home and remember your firearm? ... then get pulled over?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. Is it legal to carry a concealed weapon while at a parade?

2. How does someone determine which liquor permit an establishment has? I am thinking of Chili's, TGI Friday's, etc.

3. Is it legal to carry a concealed weapon while in the non-secure area of an airport?

The questions are not should someone carry a concealed weapon in these areas but is it legal.

Good questions. That is what I am looking for.

#3 is already answered in the rules and regulations. Lack of signs permitting, yes you can. HIGHLY not advised due to people especially scarry in airports.:(

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    In general, I think it's a very bad idea to ask for clarification on things like the parade issue and the restaurant issue. If the answer that comes out is NO you can't carry there then I am going to yell very loudly at everyone who wanted to ask. :mad:

Sometimes things are just best left alone.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I agree with teddy. They aren't the ruling authority and its not up to them to make those types of decisions. Some things are better off left alone.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ask other questions. I don't even much care about the carrying at home without a permit question.

I just feel the parade and restaurant issue is a touchy subject. No one is being busted for carrying at these places so why stir the hornet's nest?

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I only have one concerning how long it takes to get the permit.

How can you turn 45 days into two weeks?

Is the wait longer now? I got mine pre-katrina. I have to re-new. I'm not used to having to leaving it in the truck :(

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    In general, I think it's a very bad idea to ask for clarification on things like the parade issue and the restaurant issue. If the answer that comes out is NO you can't carry there then I am going to yell very loudly at everyone who wanted to ask. :mad:

Sometimes things are just best left alone.

I agree with teddy. They aren't the ruling authority and its not up to them to make those types of decisions. Some things are better off left alone.

so yall carry in restaurants that have license to sell alcohol? :confused: anybody wanna direct me to the law concerning this...i know u youre not supposed to cc in businesses that sell alcohol...all or some?...depending on the license?...whats your interpretation, i wont hold it against ya? ;)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    so yall carry in restaurants that have license to sell alcohol? :confused: anybody wanna direct me to the law concerning this...i know u youre not supposed to cc in businesses that sell alcohol...all or some?...depending on the license?...whats your interpretation, i wont hold it against ya? ;)

Some people's interpretation is that if you can not smoke in it, it is not a bar.

That said, some people stay a little safer and will not sit in the divided "bar" section of a restaurant.

Some people also would rather have it and not need it...

Some people will only disarm in government buildings, when they have to walk through metal detectors, etc.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    Some people's interpretation is that if you can not smoke in it, it is not a bar.

That said, some people stay a little safer and will not sit in the divided "bar" section of a restaurant.

Some people also would rather have it and not need it...

Some people will only disarm in government buildings, when they have to walk through metal detectors, etc.

:mamoru: ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK. Very strange, but as AROUNDLSU was posting his last post, my cell rings and it is Sgt Reavis with LSP CHP Division. Unfortunately he was calling to tell me that my fingerprinting skills suck. ;) While I had him on the phone, I asked him a few things.

Couple of things:

1. Sgt Reavis is very cool to talk to, and he is DEFINITELY ON OUR SIDE. Extremely knowledgeable about second amendment issues and a strong supporter. His comment when asked why they were so backlogged was," It is like a whole population of people suddenly woke up and realized it was time they needed to get a permit, like it wasn't all along" or something to that effect.

2. We began to discuss a few issues that have come up, and here is what he had to say. I have his permission by the way, to release this info, He said he is more than happy to offer any info to make the process go smoothly.

3. They are most definitely backlogged. He has every available minute and resource tied to processing applications. If your app is taking longer than 45-60 days, it is most likely due to bad prints or a background issue.

4. He asked me to stress that while small paragraphs explaining the issues surrounding an arrest help, he does not need letters of recommendation or long letters saying what a great guy you are. There are concrete disqualifies that I will be getting from him shortly such as:
    a. 3 felony ARRESTS(not convictions) in en years is a disqualification.
    b. 2 Capital Crime ARRESTS (not convictions) is a disqualification
    c. Failure to disclose ANY ARREST is a disqualification.

He does not make judgments about people when looking at an application. It is yes or no. They either meet or do not meet the criteria. Any deviation from that is a potential criminal act on his part and not an option.

4. He also asked me to stress that many CHP instructors are saying that the LSP is only interested in felony arrests. THAT IS NOT TRUE. They need all arrest to be disclosed. Even arrests for traffic attachmnets due to unpaid traffic tickets. Not traffic citations, but contempt of cpourt arrests because you did not pay a ticket are an arrest and must be disclosed. They do not disqualify you, but failure to disclose may.

5. To AROUNDLSU's question: You do not need to supply additional copies of your certified disposition paperwork. Simply include a signed letter stating something to the affect "Arrest Dispositions have not changed since last application. Originals submitted 1-1-05."

6. He spoke personally with the ATC(Alcohol, Tobacco Control) for Louisiana. Most restaurants are dual permitted. Short version is you are OK to eat and dine in the restaurant portion, but do not sit in the bar portion. If something happened while you were in the restaurant, the burden of proof would be on the prosecution to prove you had intent to break the law.
    Restaurants good, bars bad. But most of us knew that.

7. They are aware of people like MEM and his crew who are planning outings with the specific intent of goading and recording LEO.

To that note, and probably the best part of the conversation, he has already begun working on creating LEO workshops to educate them on the rights of CHP holders. He is also working on a symposium for instructors to get us all on the same page. I am very excited about this. I made the reccomendation of a newsletter every two months or so to all instructors via email giving us a low-down version of what the issues they are facing are, any upcoming changes, and what current delay times are.

8.The parade issue. he is of the opinion that the "in" includes spectators, but he also qualified that with the same requirement for the prosecution to show intent. He said that a permitteee carrying "in good faith" should be OK, but if a shooting occurred, you open yourself up to qualified immunity issues in a tort suit where the burden of proving innocence falls on you.

9. "Why do they need divorce papers" He confirmed what I have been teaching that the reason they request the divorce decree is because many settlements have a parental protection order or child protection order. They request the documents as a way to prove no TRO's exists.

10.If you were out of town for Katrina and came back or if your home was destroyed, but you came back here, you can still use your original address to maintain LA residency. Same thing for combining dorm addresses if you moved around within a college campus. the goal is to prove if you were a legal resident of LA for the previous 15 years.

11.Medical. The general rule is that is your doctor says you are OK to have a gun / operate machinery, you are good to go.

12. Even felons who have had their rights restored will not receive a CHP.

13. he actually used the phrase "your vehicle is an extension of your home":eek3::eek3::eek3: LOL. He qualified that with saying the supreme court has already sustained that you have the same "reasonable expectation of safety" (ie, castle doctrine) in your car as you do your home, but you do not have the same expectation of privacy in your car as you do your home, thus the reason why you cannot drive around naked. ;)

14. He stated that somewhere in the statutes, not in 14:95, is a specific exemption which states one is allowed to carry concealed on their own private property. I will be looking for that one. :)

15. He did advise that they are cracking down on instructors who are basically certificate mills. They are people working undercover, not necessarily for LSP, that will see what is being done. Dateline type stuff.

16. A CHP instructor does have to attend additional training for his renewal. He can re certify himself with a signed letter stating he is still in good standing with his credentialing body
    (POST or NRA)

17. They do look at some of the web forums to see what the vibe in the community is. (BayouShooter was the first one he mentioned.) He was well aware of the MEM, Gonzales CHP holder that saved the LEO, and I think he made a reference to JimmyDean at some point.

***NOTE*** Sgt Reavis is definitely moving the program in the right direction. I personally look forward to the changes he has in mind. He is working on some of the gaps in the program, most which work directly to our benefit and the issues we have raised here.

Please be patient, because he has his people working as hard as he can. FYI, this conversation went well past 5:00 PM, and I could hear is people leaving in the background and he was still working.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Unfortunately he was calling to tell me that my fingerprinting skills suck. ;)

That's what I was told when I turned in my app. in person. Had to get them done there.

Yeah, the crappy part is you have to pay them with a money order, so you have to go across the street to get it, then get back in line.

He equated it to almost as bad as the DMV:mamoru::mamoru:

Sorry about that, I tried.

I am currently advising all my students to at least go to the local Sheriff's office and get run on the machine. If AFIS accepts them into the system, you should be good to go.

If they can, I push them to go to BR. In fact, LSP, has started putting letters into the packets advising applicants they can save 30 days of wait by turning in in person with prints done at LSP.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    Yeah, the crappy part is you have to pay them with a money order, so you have to go across the street to get it, then get back in line.

He equated it to almost as bad as the DMV:mamoru::mamoru:

nobody was there when i went there about 11 today...i dont think the line would be bad ever...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom