.38 spl?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    What type of ammo is everyone carrying in .38spl?

Can be +p or not.

I just got one of these:
    model442.jpg

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Buffalo Bore 158 grain lead HPSWC. But now that I understand Federal Nyclads are being made again I guess I'll be switching.

Dave

Last edited:

magictag

Seasoned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Winchester Silvertip

I like the Winchester 110 gr Silvertip HP and the 125 gr +P Silvertip HP. Proven and reliable.

Looking forward to getting some Federal Nyclad HP now that they are once again being made.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I like the Winchester 110 gr Silvertip HP and the 125 gr +P Silvertip HP. Proven and reliable.

I used to carry the silver tips in my 9mm until all these new projectiles came out over the last few years. If by proven and reliable you mean they always go bang, then yeah I guess so but I've never recovered any for inspection.

There was a test of the Judge on the Box-O-Truth site where the guy shot some silver tips thru it and they barely expanded. He stated that was a problem with that particular bullet. I have never tested them myself, but I think I might, just because it might be enlightening, not to mention fun to shoot different things. The new phone books just came out and I think I may start soaking a few of them.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    There is some really good stuff being done at Buffalo Bore with handgun ammo. The new 150 grain/868 fps standard pressure semi wad cutter has got to the the huckleberry round for a two inch snub.

Then there's that standard pressure 125 grain 38 round at 921 fps from two inches. This could be the real show stopper in a snub.

Decisions, decisions.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The Buffalo Bore seems like good stuff. They kick pretty good, don't lead up the barrel, and in an indoor range at least I don't see any flash.

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with you LSP972. But then the old round worked pretty well unless you needed to penetrate a car door or something. I'm told the 158 grain HPSWC (Keith Design) was nicknamed 38 Splat for that very reason.

Dave

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    LSP,

I was under the impression that Nyclads ran slower than you indicate: http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/38spl/fed38spl-125nhp-swm60.htm

That 125 grain/921 fps Buffalo Bore standard pressure round get the same velocity in a snub as a 125 grain +P Golden Saber fired from a four inch barrel.

Likewise with the LSWCHP "FBI/Chicago/Nawlins" load. It has a reputation of being too slow to expand after passing through heavy clothing when fired from a snub.

I've been carrying the 135 grain Gold Dot 38 Special round for some time now, but for my new (to me) three inch barrel 357 MAG, I looking for the same bullet in 357 caliber, or something from Buffalo Bore for both it and the snub.

That could be the 135 grain Gold Dot 38 Special, which should clock around 1,000 fps from that 357. One round for both guns. But a 150 grain standard pressure wadcutter at 868 fps speaks to me for a snub round. It gives a fair amount of flat, ready-to-cut-meat-and-bone cross-sectional bullet area without depending on expansion, which is a topic we have established here as being somewhat dubious in actual shootings.

Top Bottom