You Don't Need an AR to Shoot Highpower

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    On a lark, I decided to shoot my K-31 in highpower match at Gonzales today. Didn't turn out too badly. 89-1X offhand; 98-2X sitting rapid; 84-1X prone rapid (tried to hurry and my position broke down. Group drifted right.) and 174-2X slow prone. Final score 445-6X. The rifle I used was a Swiss K-31 made in 1945. The ammo was GP11 ball. I paid $89 for the rifle but they are going for @$250 these days. The biggest issue with the rifle is the fact that it has no windage adjustment so I had to hold off and use Kentucky windage. It worked out OK. 445-6X is an expert score.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and shows that you don't need a custom match prepped rifle to shoot a highpower match.

Dan

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Dan, your success was totally because you were using a ballistically superior .30 caliber right?

That was some mighty fine shooting with that old rifle.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Hell, a 174gr bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2560 fps and a Ballistic Coefficient of .514 should get me ballistic superiority points. This should compare favorably with the vaunted 7.62 M118LR shooting a 175 with a BC of .496 at 2600 fps and the 168 gr M852 with a 168gr at 2650 fps (BC .447).

It is too bad you shot your Matty Mattel with its inferior rounds, you only beat me by 19 points. Just think if you had shot a man gun.

All kidding aside, I can see why the Germans left the Swiss alone (other than the Swiss are the bankers to the world). Some decent riflemen armed with K-31s in those mountain passes could make real estate really expensive for an invader. And the Swiss, if nothing else, are good riflemen.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan, your success was totally because you were using a ballistically superior .30 caliber right?

That was some mighty fine shooting with that old rifle.

With a little practice, I know I can shoot Master scores with that thing. The two 7s offhand and dropping 16 points in rapid prone can be fixed pretty easily. Figure that I can get back at least 2/3s of those points and centering up the group for slow prone should be worth a few more points. That gets me to pretty close to the magic 470 points needed for Master.

If I felt like spending the $350 or so for one of the micrometer rear sights that are available, I know that a pretty big score is doable.

The one thing I reinforced is that it is fun shooting a match even if you are not trying to be competitive.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Those are really neat rifles.

And no, you don't need to shoot an AR to shoot HP. You do, however, need to budget for the inevitable purchase ;)

I just said that the AR would make it easier on you (you wouldn't have to live with the ignominy of having your little brother regularly trounce you with a borrowed rifle). I like shooting my ARs, but it was a hoot to shoot the K31. The Gonzales match is a perfect place to learn, practice and have a good time.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Hitler wasn't about to mess with the Swiss--they have a heritage of being very effective warriors--that's why the Pope has used them for many years as his bodyguards.

I'm retired military, and am familiar with the underground bunkers and aviation hangers they have all over the country, as well as pre-placed explosives to close the few routes through the mountains in case of invasion...and all these people think the Swiss are peaceful 'cause they were able to stay out of 2 World Wars.

Maybe I ought to buy a K-31 before they become too expensive! :)

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    What's a good newbie/cheapie setup for playing and learning?

I am sure Dan will elaborate on your question.
    In the meantime I can tell you you can rent a rifle that is adequately setup from the LSA for $5. That way you can get an idea if you want to buy anything. I did this one time. Just an unbelieveable oppurtunity to get a taste of highpower. I have not heard of anything like this any where else.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I am sure Dan will elaborate on your question.
    In the meantime I can tell you you can rent a rifle that is adequately setup from the LSA for $5. That way you can get an idea if you want to buy anything. I did this one time. Just an unbelieveable oppurtunity to get a taste of highpower. I have not heard of anything like this any where else.

What he said. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom