Rock Island Armory 9mm 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not sure if many of you are aware but Rock Island started to export to the US, 1911's in 9mm they had advertised them as an option in Shot Show 2008 but they never moved forward until now.

AS an entry level 1911 the RIA might be a choice, as of right now I have only been able to find the Parkerized (Black) version both in the GI and the Tactical configuration, I am hoping in the near future they can get the Nickel Version and I will probably consider the purchase then.

I have also not found any range reports from it yet as its pretty new but if I find something I will update.

RIA 9mm GI
    attachment.php

RIA 9mm Tactical
    attachment.php

attachment.php

RIA 9mm Tactical Nickel
    attachment.php

attachment.php

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I believe they put these out under different names as well. My bud has he tactical parked, just like that, from Citadel and it's a sweet looking gun. They are well worth it for the low price.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Could someone with more knowledge of 9mm 1911s explain how the ria would stack up against a sti. I've been wanting to get into the 9mm 1911 for a while, but I've been too ocupied on other projects to learn about them.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The fitting on the STI Spartan will be much better, eventhough STI buys the frame and slide for the Spartan from Armscor or RIA they fit all the components at their facility in Texas and I would say their Gunsmiths are a little more competent since they build high quality race guns on daily basis.

The RIA is built and fitted 100% in the philipines and the only thing that the Spartan and RIA have in commun is the frame and slide, otherwise they are completely diferent weapons on diferent levels IMO, their quality control and fit would probably be much lower.

RIA is still a good entry level 1911 that will allow you to customize as your training and skill level improoves, and she still had to pass the minimum quality control that the US requires for a firearm to be imported so she should be G2G for the price.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Rock Island armory uses colt machines I believe, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one and probably will soon since I got rid of my Trojan.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The fitting on the STI Spartan will be much better, eventhough STI buys the frame and slide for the Spartan from Armscor or RIA they fit all the components at their facility in Texas and I would say their Gunsmiths are a little more competent since they build high quality race guns on daily basis.

The RIA is built and fitted 100% in the philipines and the only thing that the Spartan and RIA have in commun is the frame and slide, otherwise they are completely diferent weapons on diferent levels IMO, their quality control and fit would probably be much lower.

RIA is still a good entry level 1911 that will allow you to customize as your training and skill level improoves, and she still had to pass the minimum quality control that the US requires for a firearm to be imported so she should be G2G for the price.
    The Spartan is built and fitted at Armscor using STI internals. All the Spartans are inspected once they hit STI and may be tweaked. BTW the Armscor smiths are pretty darn good.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Can't go wrong with either really, I've refinished both. STI is a hair nicer, but most of that would only matter to someone who would compete with it. For a range, truck, carry gun etc., the RIA is just fine and dandy...

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hang onto the Buckmark, man!

Unless you need all the extra mag capacity of the Glock type pistols, the 1911 RIA looks really good albeit in the 9mm caliber (I'm a 45acp kind of guy myself) plus its affordable price allows you to hang onto that nice looking Browning pistol that you posted for sale recently -- or did you already sell it?
    Those .22 cal Buckmarks are great pistols to handle and shoot in any configuration, and you have one of the nicer versions with the bull barrel and the light gathering sights. Good luck, Mike!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Man, if only they would have had these out last summer when I got my RIA 1911. I would have loved to have gotten it in 9mm instead of .45. Guess I will just have to buy another one in 9mm one day.

Just wondering, does anyone know how many rounds these hold?

Last edited:

CRUE CAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Melbourne Florida
    I own a Colt 1911 and have had it for many years.
    I saw the RIA at my local shop and for the money thought it was a good buy.
    Its a great buy.
    Mine is a commander and shoots just as good as my Colt. I was very impressed with it.
    Definatly a player. We will see how it is after a few hundred or thousand rounds.
    But I seen no reason for it not to hold up.

Top Bottom