Appleseed Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    First, let me say that I am an Appleseed Instructor and Louisiana State Coordinator. Some other members on the board (geeck, leethar, lurkerwisp) have attended multiple Appleseeds and hopefully they can offer a less biased opinion than myself.

I attended several Appleseeds as a student and found the material presented highly valuable. If you listen to the instruction and try things how we present them, your marksmanship should improve dramatically, however I have no idea what kind of previous experience you have.

I found the history and the message of the program more valuable than the actual marksmanship portion of the weekend. All of the instructors I have learned from or work with have a passion about our American Heritage which motivated me to take up the cause and help the program. The true message of Appleseed is about waking up Americans and motivating them to become politically aware and active.

We have multiple shoots scheduled at the Bodcau range near Shreveport and at the Sherburne range in the Basin and are actively working on new locations, including Long Range Alley.

If you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, please let me know.

theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    The Appleseed Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to teaching every American, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality, national origin, or ideology our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills.

www.appleseedinfo.org

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've always wanted to go to one. I wish they would put one somewhere closer to N.O. than Sherburne...
    I may go to the next one there anyway though...

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I think we had a Dem. President who would have been a supporter!!!!!

JOHN F. KENNEDY, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

How far has the Dem. party fallen.....

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I think we had a Dem. President who would have been a supporter!!!!!

JOHN F. KENNEDY, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

How far has the Dem. & Republican party fallen.....

fixed

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    I attended a five day Appleseed with my family a few years ago in Texas. It was fantastic! They will teach you rifle safety and marksmanship. As an NRA and CHP instructor, I have taught about 800 handgun and rifle students over the last 8 years. ALL but a handful were in great need of the instruction, and I’m counting LE and military! Appleseed can give you the foundational training you need (perhaps desperately need!). You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get this training.
    I agree with theway109, the American History lesson was of greater value than the training and the training was very valuable. Why was the history lesson so important? I'm glad you asked. The history provided the inspiration and motivation and to pursue the goal of marksmanship. At least it did for my family and I. My kids actually gave Michael Adams, our instructor, a standing ovation after he dramatically recounted some of what took place on April 19, 1775.
    You may get a head start on the history lesson by reading “Paul Revere’s Ride by Fischer.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315[/ame]
    In my opinion every American should attend an Appleseed event and should support Appleseed’s mission.
    Here’s a link to an article Massad Ayood recently wrote after attending an Appleseed.
    http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/02/01/appleseed/
    Best regards,
    Bill Hickman
    Thibodaux

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I don't know if it was there Appleseed training or Bill's instruction, but his kids were very easy to instruct in highpower competition. They caught on quickly and shot well.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks for the encouragement. Definitely going. BTW, Appleseed has 2 WWII army training films that are very instructive. Been studying them so I can hit the ground running.

Really appreciate the Ayoob link. If a guy like that attends and endorses.........

skyfein

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    Just returned from my first Appleseed

I just got back from my first Appleseed, and in response to that first question, YES, it's worth it!

I got two days of rigorous training on how to safely and accurately shoot a rifle from a variety of positions. By accuracy, they mean being able to make a headshot at 500 yards. I pulled that one on my final shot of the weekend. (Although that COULD have been a coincidence! Ahem...)

In particular, they teach you how to shoot properly from three positions -- standing, sitting and prone -- and how to use your sling to create a stable platform that supports the rifle without you having to exhaust yourself "keeping" it in the right spot. And you go through drills that require you to change positions, change mags, and make highly accurate shots in short, timed sequences. Your shots are scored so that you can track your progress through the weekend.

The instructors know their stuff, and they're very demanding -- but even better, they are encouraging. The whole attitude was one of self-improvement, of meeting the challenge together. They do not talk politics at all. And as a result, I did not hear a single negative or divisive comment the entire weekend. It's unity from the first minute to the last. And those instructors are all volunteers who are there because they love it.

I guess it's not technically true that there's no politics. Because they DO dwell on the politics of 1775. In between the instruction and shooting drills, they teach you about particular riflemen whose actions turned the tide of the Revolutionary War. If you doubt that a single rifleman can make a difference, you will lose that doubt forever.

All this for 70 bucks. I hope they do one at Honey Island because I'll definitely be there with some friends. My sense of Appleseed is that it is a remarkable program that is unlike anything else I have experienced.

If anyone has questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom