Might buy Mini-14 Ranch, is it a good Rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Thinking of buying a Ranch Rifle in .223. What is the backgound on this rifle? Anything I need to know or watch for?

Factory 20 Round mags are @ $50 each, and very few of the aftermarket mags work. I agree with the above poster, and unless you are getting one heck of a deal, go with an AR, and the abundance of accessories and mags that are on the market.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I have to agree also. I picked up one a few months back, put about 50-60 rounds through it and sold it last week. The guy that bought it is going to use it hog hunting which will be fine for that. Also the mini-14 can only shoot .223 rounds, not 5.56. It will shoot 5.56 but it is dangerous to do so because it is not designed to handle that round. So if somehow a 5.56 round got in there it might end up with a kaboom.:eek3:

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Per page 11 of the instruction manual , 5.56mm is safe to shoot in the mini 14 Ranch rifle . The manual can be viewed on the Ruger website .

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Also the mini-14 can only shoot .223 rounds, not 5.56. It will shoot 5.56 but it is dangerous to do so because it is not designed to handle that round. So if somehow a 5.56 round got in there it might end up with a kaboom.:eek3:

Not true. The mini is completely safe with NATO 5.56 and .223 Remington.

Per the instruction manual (p. 11), "The Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56 mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice." Underlining added by me.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/55.pdf

My mini has been through 1000s of rounds of 5.56 without a single issue.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    This is just part of the info that researched. I picked up a used one and iirc going by the serial it was an older model. It doesn't state it in this link but from all the research most info said if it was stamped .223 on the breach it was not advisable to shoot 5.56 in it. It may only apply to the older models. Most of this is based on the pressures. Again, I am just going by all the reference from all the data I found when re-searching. This is one link:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

InheritedAnArsenal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I had one and then sold it a year later. It was mostly reliable w/ factory mags ($40 each). Non-factory mags are junk.

I also recommend the AR15 instead. Little more expensive, but cheap mags, reliable and more accurate. Time to embrace the evil black rifle

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    My primary reason for choosing a 14 over an AR is reliability in less than desirable conditions. Throw an AR and a mini into a yucky muck, wait a couple of weeks, take them out and rinse them off a little and see which one fires without failure. I'm betting on the 14. As far as accuracy goes, not very. About as good as an Ak on a good day.
    I would not have a problem firing either .223 or 5.56 in one. For varmint hunting choose an AR.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Been looking for an AR and the dealer I've been talking to says they are hard to find now and high cap. mags for any gun aare getting very costly if you can find one.

Also, I read that the Mini-14 had accuracy and functioning issues but Ruger fixed them with the introduction of the Ranch Rifle in 2003. Is that correct to those of you that have one?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Been looking for an AR and the dealer I've been talking to says they are hard to find now and high cap. mags for any gun aare getting very costly if you can find one.

Also, I read that the Mini-14 had accuracy and functioning issues but Ruger fixed them with the introduction of the Ranch Rifle in 2003. Is that correct to those of you that have one?

If you are still looking for an AR AIM has these. I do not know anything about the manufacturer.http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Del-Ton_DTI-15_5.56_Carbine.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom