Ccw Traffic Stop Protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK.

I just stopped a guy for speeding and no seatbelt. I approach and ask for his license and registration. He hands me his license and LA CHP without sayng a word. However, he keeps his hands on the steering wheel. I say OK, where is the weapon located? He says in the center console.

I ask him to step out and stand in the front of his vehicle. He complies but is visibly upset over the probability of getting a ticket. I grab the weapon out of the glove box, rusty AMT 380 semi in a leather pocket holster. I place it on the rear bumper of his vehicle and stand there to write his ticket.

I approach the front of his vehicle, and ask if his registration is in the glove box. He begins to walk towards his passenger side as if to go get the registration. I advise him I did not tell him to move, I only asked him if he had it in his glove box. He said yes and seems aggravated. Oh well.

I go around and of course can't find it. I let that one slide. I finish writing his citations. I go to clear the weapon as I usually do before I return it and guess what?

....NO BULLETS.

I ask him, "do you realize you have a weapon with no ammunition?"

He states, "I have plenty of ammo, but keeping it in is dangerous."

I shake my head, give him his copy, and send his dumbass on his way.

Lessons:

#1- The only time you will get away with interupting an officer is to say,"Officer, I just want to let you know I have a weapon in the vehicle." You are required to do this by law, and it is just smart.

#2. Keep both hands on the steering wheel.

#3. Follow whatever instructions the officer tells you. If he is a dick, *******, jerk, or has "a bad tone" file a complaint or whatever, but just do it and be quiet. It will work out better for you.

#4. If he has any offficer safety skills, he will at least clear the weapon and instruct you not to load it until he drives away. I actually take the slide off on most weapons.

#5. HAVE FREAKIN BulLETS IN YOUR GUN.

:doh::doh:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    If you removed the slide from my weapon we'd stand there until someone in charge showed up. Or a lawyer or , or ,or,..........................

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Ive never been pulled over since I got my carry permit years ago but I figure handing him my license and permit, keeping both hands on the wheel and saying "Im carrying my weapon in a holster on my right hip. How would you like to precede?" should work best for both of us,

And Im always loaded. Lol

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Um, the weapon wasn't on his person. It was in his car. He wasn't required to inform you of anything.

Read the law. As I interpret it, you are required to inform law enforcement , whenever you come in contact if you are armed. In my book, the weapon within reach is armed. I will review the LA CHP rulebook, but I do not think it states only if you are concealed. Besides, is it worth getting sot, justified or not, to prove a point?

Don't be suh a stickler and do the right thing. Your encounter will go much smoother if you just tell up front than let a leo find it later on. Now the perception s you were trying to hide. Adrenaline goes up, and bad things happen when testosterone is ncreased in a jbt's bloodstream.:eek3:

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i always thought you had to tell them if they asked if you have any drugs or weapons,,i always ssay yes,,and tell them where it is,,no big deal

i had a leo unload noth my magazines,and take my glock 21 apart threw the bullets in the back seat put the slide and barrel on the passanger seat and handed me the frame,,i was like WTF was that about...he said for safety reasons i just laughed and put my hand out to shake his and tell him thank you,,,he refused to shake my hand and said get in my car and drive safely..haha gota love'em when there upity like that..

i try to shake every cops hand that ever gave me a ticket,(and thats a lot of tickets),tell them thanks for doing their job,,only a hand full have ever took the offer...

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Did he give permission to search his car? If asked to get out of your car, just lock the doors as you exit and close the door. If he asks permission to search, decline.

As far a CCW goes, once you are out of the car (especially if its locked) you are not carrying and he has no reason to disarm you since you are not armed.

You are asking for complaints if you are disassembling firearms. What if you damage it? Would you own up to it if you did? Unloading is acceptable IMO.

This is good info and needs to bumped to top.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4232&highlight=talk+police

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5060&highlight=talk+police

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I really don't want to stir this pot up, but...
    If a LEO disassembled my pistol on the roadside, like Rock said, we'd have a problem! Emptying it is one thing, but fingerphuqing it to the point of a teardown is just wrong. Maybe key my car door while you're at it.:p

And no I'm not a LEO hater! I think I've exhibited that here since I joined!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm kind of missing where Nolacopusmc removed slide or disassembled weapon.

I also thought AMT made only stainless guns.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I got pulled over 2 weeks ago on magazine st and I handed the officer my DL,Ins.and CCW permit.The officer did nothing but give me a ticket.He even sent the rookie with the ticket and when she was giving it to me to sighn she asked was I with the police dpt.(Probably because of the thin blue line sticker)And I said I wasent but my son in law was.It was a overall smooth prosess.Except the ticket.I dont think I would enjoy a police officer or anyone else fondeling my sidearm though.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I am sure you are a nice guy, and your intentions are honorable, but its a safety thing.

I almost never shake someone's hand. For one, it traps your gun hand, and two is simply germs. From a physcological level, very few people accept responsibility for what they have done like you have, so you have to question their motive for wanting to extend a friendly gesture to someone whom in their opinion did something to them.

But it is refreshing to hear from someone who has responsibility for their actions and understands the job we do.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    "#4. If he has any officer safety skills, he will at least clear the weapon and instruct you not to load it until he drives away. I actually take the slide off on most weapons."

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You are missing the point. Stop being so difficult and do the right thing. You can complain all you want. I would definitely own up to it and it would be accepted due to officer safety. Instead of figuring out ways to by pass the law or get away with stuff, just do the right thing.

It is comments like this that give honest CHP holders a bad name, because armchair lawyers think they can push the limits. No one is a bigger proponent of individual rights than me, but my safety is more important than your convienence.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Also, take into account that I work basically in New Orleans. Most of the people I encounter (1) are not CCW holders, and (2) are criminals. I try to do the same thing with all weapons I encounter so that my actions are routine and autromatic, and I can defend them in court.

Very rarely do I encounter guys like here on the forum. Secondly, in the scenerio. I posted, The guy was visibly agitated. I don't care who you are, or what permit you have, if I become aware you have a weapon, I am seperating it from you.

Again, it is a safety thing, not a dickhead thing. If someone is cordial, honest, upfront, and not combative, I do on occasion simply have them exit the vehicle. FUrthermore, I have to fingerbang your sidearm, because I have to normally run it to check if stolen.

Stop trying to dissect what I posted and simply take it at face value.

Tell LEO when you have a gun. It is safer for everyone.

Nuff said.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You are missing the point. Stop being so difficult and do the right thing. You can complain all you want. I would definitely own up to it and it would be accepted due to officer safety. Instead of figuring out ways to by pass the law or get away with stuff, just do the right thing.

It is comments like this that give honest CHP holders a bad name, because armchair lawyers think they can push the limits. No one is a bigger proponent of individual rights than me, but my safety is more important than your convienence.
    Just for clarification who is "you" in this post.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    SOrry. General YOU, but specifically 0wen 502

Posted it to make fun of someone carrying a weapon with no ammo. Not to have civvies tear up my tactics.

Trying to help my friends here not get in trouble. STop ganging up on me you mean gun nuts. :confused::confused::confused:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Man, no wonder everyone has a problem with New Orleans officers. From your attitude when it comes to weapons we can certainly see why. Disassembling a weapon on the side of the road is 100% a horrible idea. Springs can fly, mistakes can happen, you aren't paying attention while you are trying to figure out how to take it apart... the list could go on.

The one time I was stopped was in Mississippi by Highway Patrol. He was extremely polite, only glanced at my sidearm and asked me to leave it on me in the holster, then let me go for speeding with a warning.

There is no reason why you should be handling someone elses sidearm on a traffic stop who voluntarily presented a CCW permit. If you insisted I remove it I'd politely ask to remove the entire holster and not remove the gun due to safety reasons. You are likely unfamiliar with clearing the P7.

Top Bottom