Dances With Valves !

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Got My Red Jacket Mags and a few other toys "Hand Delivered"..............

And the Moral to this story is, be careful what you ask for ! Look what came along with my toys...........

A New Project ! :run: Its Not like MoJoe was gonna expect any less from me !
    Ill update with further info................. Stay Tuned !

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I was assured that piston to valve clearance was checked. ALL 16 valves kissed the pistons NUMEROUS times. Not just once, not 10 times, countless times !
    this is more than Valve float. I have to doubt this thing was running on the ragged edge from the getgo.
    Once I get EVERYTHING disassembled and inspected and measured we will know all.

Solid Roller Camshaft -- over 600 lift

Last edited:

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Funny

NO its not, the Shiny Eyebrows on every piston was from metal to metal contact.
    The piston slapping the bottom of the Valves on every rotation at Top Dead Center.
    Pretty scarey.
    Someone got LUCKeeeeee
    Usually piston to valve interference ends up grenading the motor. Literally

Ill have measurements later. Also Valve spring closed and open specs related to the custom camshaft grind.
    Claims to have only 1,000 miles at the most.
    Im pretty sure the engine was running like this for some time.
    With an ever so slight and light piston to valve contact on every revolution.
    Pretty amazing. I don't think you could get this lucky if you tried to, all while avoiding catastrophic failure.

Last edited:

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    IM telling you..............This could not have been done if you tried. I am curious to find out what the negative distance is. IM thinking .002 of course the head gasket is peeled apart. I will never get an exact reading, but I will try.

Its got to touch enough to scar, but not enough to hammer. I have only seen this once before on a dirt track motor. Motor ran on average of 6800 rpm for 30 minutes, then started to pop in the intake from a valve not seating.
    Turns out that the head gasket used to set it up the valve train & quench area, was somehow misplaced and a different gasket was used. The builder came in the next day and grabbed the gasket laying on the engine, not figuring someone
    had moved it.
    Didnt tear the motor up, only bent 2 valves. AMAZING because the motor easily revved to 9500 rpm. This thing would ZING !

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I'm gonna put my $ on bad valve lash. (improper adjustment). Solid Roller cam normally has, what, .020" clearance? Reduce it too much and that's what happens and it doesn't hand-grenade the engine cause the valve is actually floating free in the train. That's about the only way you don't bend or break a valve that's smacking a piston.
    But I could be wrong....
    C

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    It has a custom ground camshaft [ which I have not seen the cam card yet]
    things I still need to teardown and verify, but I am being told the clearance was set as tight as .004
    Yes that is tight, very tight, yet possible with new cam lobe profiles that are being developed and machined into them.
    Its pretty normal to run them at .008. [ on a hot rod with quality parts and all the other factors that come into play]
    Ill have to confirm the .004 based on the custom lobe profile before I would go back that tight.
    Me Personally on a street hot rod, I like to run a custom grind aggressive ramp Solid roller, but with a quality set of hydraulic roller lifters
    to split the difference between a snappy revvin motor that is street driven so you don't have to baby-sit the valvetrain every weekend.
    You guys know there are so many ways to build things as technology gets better each week.
    Too many to even haggle over.
    Im gonna be short handed next week, so I had to push these parts to the side.
    Ill update you gear heads later !:rockon:

Last edited:

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    You're right, so many ways to build things and so many things that could go wrong in little ways that could cause this. Head gasket crush not factored in, weak (or wrong) valve springs, lash, over-reving, Improper deck height when rebuilt or more than likely a combination of any or all of the above. You might not ever nail down what the actual culprit was, just build it so she don't do dat no mo!
    Yeah, Keep us posted....

Top Bottom