Knife Sharpening

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I'm looking for some help on sharpening too. I don't mind investing in some tools to do it, but I'd like know if they make one yet, where you can't eff up a blade. I think that's been my biggest resistance to trying, is not wanting to mess up expensive or sentimental blades.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I'm looking for some help on sharpening too. I don't mind investing in some tools to do it, but I'd like know if they make one yet, where you can't eff up a blade. I think that's been my biggest resistance to trying, is not wanting to mess up expensive or sentimental blades.
    You need to get some small kitchen knives or some cheaper pocket knives to learn with. After you have learned how to sharpen your knives then you’ll be more confident to use a tool you’ll be more familiar with and if you mess up there are good people around you to try and fix a mess up.

Toodamgoofy

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Only a year later to reply.....

To Redline83's question, I was actually serious. Scouts were expected to master sharpening skills for all knives and axes.

My son, also a fireman and an Eagle Scout, participated in Boy Scout sponsored rifle shooting and shotgun shooting and he earned the Merit Badges for those skills. Shooting sports have been very much a part of being a Scout and Scout Camps have had ranges.

If you had been a Scout you most certainly would have been exposed to shooting sports and encouraged to safely participate, buying firearms when you were old enough. You actually might have had more than you currently own if you had been a Scout :).

I know the program has become more "woke" recently, and I am also not as informed as I used to be, but those Merit Badges are still offered. Hopefully the woke mob will not destroy Scouting and the shooting programs will still be included when my grandson is old enough to join.
    I apologize if I offended you but I own plenty of weapons and was not trying to belittle the Boy Scouts in any way except for the perverted pedophiles that get their rocks off messing with young men or boys. I am a veteran of the navy and the army and my dad and my grandfathers taught me how to sharpen knives, hunt and multiple other things that every young man or boy should learn. I presently am a deputy and try to keep learning daily and teach the things I have learned. If any of this information offends anyone then I can’t apologize that your feelings are thin skinned.

Toodamgoofy

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Learn to sharpen your knives ladies and gentlemen for they never run out of ammunition. Just try you may amaze yourself

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    EZ Lap has a good choice of sharpeners. I use an EZ Lap that resembles a brass pen. It’s my go to
    My Dad had one of those years ago and swore by them. Easily sharpened a knife pretty quickly. Problem he and I have now is, unless you use a flat plate style sharpener you risk dragging the point off your knife. I found some Diamond Sharpening Stone, 5 Pcs Knife Sharpening Stone with Extra Fine/Coarse Plate and Non-slip Base, 400/600/800/1000/1200 Grit https://a.co/d/dSbWrt7

These work great for me.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    The one from Worksharp is really close to that. They've got guides with different angles already set for you to use with the different slip on attachments. From kitchen knives to pocket knives. The graded belt system can re shape or touch up blade.

Ive got several types of sharpening and the bench top 8" paper wheel system is one of the better ones. Very quick to sharpen a batch of kitchen knives or touchup one as needed.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I’ve been wanting to try out one of those paper wheels. First time I saw the results, I was amazed. Worksharp is great, after you pass that learning curve!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I learned from my dad how to use the proper stones and a leather strop to hone a nice edge. I do take short cuts on occasion but overall prefer wet stones. Most of the short cut sharpeners just don’t do a very good job.
    The japs make some very fine wet stones. I find water works best until you get to the final hone then switch to oil.
    That being said, abrasive belt sharpeners and polishing wheels are among the quickest and best methods to go razor edge.
    I like to keep at least one method of redefining the proper angle on a blade. The lansky systems work well. Also, some of the better carbon steel blade type sharpers fit the bill here too. The important thing here is a guide.

Serrated knives are a challenge but become easy work with the right tools. Diamond sticks like you see on the little combo sharpeners, followed by ceramic can bring them back to life with some patience.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom