PDA

View Full Version : Finally.... I killed my first deer

Nick
January 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
well, this year is my first year ever seriously deer hunting. I got in a lease, bought a rifle, camp, etc. etc.... well Friday evening I was on stand and had a spike walk out, thought it was a doe, but in the late hour I couldn't see the horns.... 112 lbs., not too bad.... but it gets better....

Sunday our modern rifle ended and we went to primitive on Monday... yesterday evening I was back at the same spot (camera showed a doe in there 30 minutes after we recovered the spike), this time with a muzzle loader... popped what looked like a doe, turned out to be a button buck that you had to touch it to be sure, but either way, 75 lbs should make some tender eating.

Where we are there is a big buck program, my first deer ever was the spike, I shot late but it's forgiven and they were estatic that I killed my first deer and could care less about it being a buck. The second one was a button buck, but with the 4x scope on the muzzle loader I couldn't see the lumps, might have with the 9X on the .30-06, but button bucks as an honest mistake are automatic forgivens.

dzelenka
January 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
When you are hunting antlerless deer and want to avoid shooting a button buck, do not shoot if only 1 deer comes out. in fading light you don't have any scale to compare its size. If 2 deer come out you can shoot the bigger one and be fairly sure it is a doe. Also, when you look at an antlerless deer, don't try to look for the knobs on the head in an effort to identify whether it is a button buck or a doe, look at the shape of the deer's head from the side. If it appears short and angular it is a button buck. A mature doe will appear to have a long head without the angularity.

I know these things after years of observation and a few cases of mistaken identity.

Anyway, congrats on your deer.

Dan

TDH
January 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Congrats on your first kill.

When you are hunting antlerless deer and want to avoid shooting a button buck, do not shoot if only 1 deer comes out. in fading light you don't have any scale to compare its size. If 2 deer come out you can shoot the bigger one and be fairly sure it is a doe. Also, when you look at an antlerless deer, don't try to look for the knobs on the head in an effort to identify whether it is a button buck or a doe, look at the shape of the deer's head from the side. If it appears short and angular it is a button buck. A mature doe will appear to have a long head without the angularity.

I know these things after years of observation and a few cases of mistaken identity.

Anyway, congrats on your deer.

Dan

Dan,

Thats good info. I'll have to do some observation and see if I can use this info to identify them next season.

Nick
January 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
thanks guys, I'll take that information into account on the next deer I see, I've always been told that a lone deer without horns is likely a button buck. I had plenty of light when I shot him, I just couldn't tell. I've already seen and passed on a button buck several times earlier in the season, but his knobs were a lot more visible. I'll be back hunting for the end of muzzle loader this weekend, at this point I don't plan to shoot unless I see multiple doe together, just to be 100%. I knew of the "shoot the bigger one to avoid a button buck", but I never looked at the head shape much, I'll look at the game camera pics a little closer so I'll know what I'm looking at...... oh yeah, those game cameras are AWESOME! I have pics of my deer alive and dead.... I need to pull the camera from the button buck, hopefully I'll have a pic of him with a hole in his side :D

CajunTim
January 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Good deal, it is a rush isnt it?

Bearco
January 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Congtrats on your 1st deer.

spanky
January 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Congrats!

melisa
January 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
That's awesome!

dzelenka
January 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Congrats on your first kill.

Dan,

Thats good info. I'll have to do some observation and see if I can use this info to identify them next season.

You learn to pay close attention when there is a $250 - $400 fine for shooting an undersized or button buck. If you can't tell it is positively a doe, you don't shoot.

Nick
January 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks again everyone!

When I shot the second one, the muzzle loader did it in true fashion, I lined up, pulled the trigger and heard a "firecracker like" sound... the damn cap blew but didn't ignite the powder! The deer ran off, then stopped, I had to put a new percussion cap on and lucky enough the deer was dumb enough to try for that rice bran one more time.

I was amazed, when I shot the first deer with my .30-06 it did a back flip and hit the ground kicking. When I shot the second one with the .50 cal muzzle loader the bullet didn't penetrate completely through and the deer ran for almost 100 yds before dropping (no, not looking to turn this into another ".45 vs 9mm" thread :rofl:)

You learn to pay close attention when there is a $250 - $400 fine for shooting an undersized or button buck. If you can't tell it is positively a doe, you don't shoot.
lucky for me our club has problems pulling off the doe that the biologist has recommended as it is, they advised to not penalize someone for button bucks b/c it was an honest attempt to fill a doe tag. Now for shooting something like that spike I shot first, that's $250 fine and suspension for the rest of the season... but like I said, I got a free pass on that one b/c they just wanted me to get my first kill regardless.

dzelenka
January 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Did you recover the bullet from the second deer? If so, give us a report on what the bullet was and where it hit along eith a few pictures of the recovered slug.

Nick
January 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
didn't recover the bullet. I shot at about 5:00, it was dark before we recovered the deer. We were in a hurry to quarter it up and get on the road back home to be at work this morning (3 hour trip). I don't even know what kind of bullet it was, the muzzle loader is borrowed from a friend that bought a .45-70. He loaned me the gun and all the supplies to operate it and the bullets aren't in the original packet.

cajungunslinger
January 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
modern rifle doesnt end til next weekend

Nick
January 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
modern rifle doesnt end til next weekend
different zones end at different times, we were hunting in Harrisonburg, La, which is in "Area 2"... if you are hunting in "Area 1" you would be correct, our season also ends a week earlier, but our's starts 3 weeks earlier ;)

cajungunslinger
January 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
different zones end at different times, we were hunting in Harrisonburg, La, which is in "Area 2"... if you are hunting in "Area 1" you would be correct, our season also ends a week earlier, but our's starts 3 weeks earlier ;)

my bad, your name said BR so i assumed you hunting in these parts :D

jmcrawf1
January 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks again everyone!

When I shot the second one, the muzzle loader did it in true fashion, I lined up, pulled the trigger and heard a "firecracker like" sound... the damn cap blew but didn't ignite the powder! The deer ran off, then stopped, I had to put a new percussion cap on and lucky enough the deer was dumb enough to try for that rice bran one more time.

I was amazed, when I shot the first deer with my .30-06 it did a back flip and hit the ground kicking. When I shot the second one with the .50 cal muzzle loader the bullet didn't penetrate completely through and the deer ran for almost 100 yds before dropping (no, not looking to turn this into another ".45 vs 9mm" thread :rofl:)

lucky for me our club has problems pulling off the doe that the biologist has recommended as it is, they advised to not penalize someone for button bucks b/c it was an honest attempt to fill a doe tag. Now for shooting something like that spike I shot first, that's $250 fine and suspension for the rest of the season... but like I said, I got a free pass on that one b/c they just wanted me to get my first kill regardless.

Suspension from the club? Wow that's harsh. I've never heard of that one.

ReilleysMom32
January 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Congrats on bagging your first! Now you just need to get out there with a bow and knock a few down :-)

cajungunslinger
January 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Thats awesome man!!! I'm 23 years old and I just got my first one in 2007 :D

Splnut
January 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Nick don't feel bad about being 29 and shooting your first as i shot my first in mid December and was a spike that was a cull 3 1/2 year old 145 lb and got a 130 lb Doe on Jan. 4th

Splnut
January 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
By the way Congrats...

cajungunslinger
January 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
my first was a 95lb spike :D

CajunTim
January 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I was 29 when I shot my first one a I threw him over one shoulder and carried him out the woods. Tasted better than any other I ever tasted.

Splnut
January 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I was 29 when I shot my first one a I threw him over one shoulder and carried him out the woods. Tasted better than any other I ever tasted.

I cheated i didn't pack him out the swamp but rode him out on a Dozer

CZowner07
January 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
on the lease i hunt on we have doe tags. If we kill a spike under 3 inches we lose our doe tags. If its over 3 inches its a 250 dollar fine and you lose your tags. We also have 8pt or better but if its 3 1/2 yrs o or older with less than 8pts we can kill it cuz we dont want it breeding the does. Congrats on your deer

Nick
January 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Suspension from the club? Wow that's harsh. I've never heard of that one.yeah, they are serious about big deer.

a guy shot a 2 year old 8 pt., his options were:
1. Get it mounted, full shoulder mount and life goes on (if it's YOUR trophy buck, no problem)
2. Pay a $250 fine, suspension for the rest of the year and give up the horns to the club to be stuck on the wall as a "don't shoot" lesson reminding everyone.
3. Leave the club.

We are looking for 3 1/2 year old and better. The land was run hard with dogs until 3 years ago, the deer population is still recovering, but we are seeing awesome genetics.

Kids are encouraged to shoot anything, being that I had never shot one I was told that I could shoot anything, just like a kid, for my first deer. Over the season I let a button buck walk and I had a nice 4 pointer locked up visiting me on a regular basis. In the last couple weeks the guys told me to just lay something down, they didn't care. I was still dead set on dropping a doe, which I thought I did, but oh well.

As of right now we don't have many "shooter bucks" walking around, we've seen two definite on camera but never in person.

Now that I've got my meat I'm happy to sit back till next season and shoot some does, most of our best looking deer are only 2 years old right now, let them hit 3 1/2 - 4 after visiting my feeder and me watching all this time, then they'll be comfy and I'll bust that butt :D

the spike was 112 lbs, he cut a backflip on the spot and didn't go anywhere. my buddy had dropped me off to the stand, so he came back in his Rhino and we just backed it up and loaded up.

the button buck was only 75 lbs, he ran off a good 50 yds or so, I just dragged him out most of the way by the hind legs, once I was out of the thick stuff I got the 4 wheeler and brought it in and tossed him in the back basket.

CZowner07
January 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
yeah, they are serious about big deer.
We are looking for 3 1/2 year old and better. The land was run hard with dogs until 3 years ago, the deer population is still recovering, but we are seeing awesome genetics.

Is the club you hunt on 8points or better? The one I hunt is 8pts or better but if we see a mature(3 1/2 yrs+)"trash"(less then 8 points, no brow tines, etc.) buck we can kill it without a fine.

spanky
January 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
That sounds like the type of club I'd like to be in. The one I hunt in now (not a member but it's an in-law family club) just shoots whatever they see for the most part. :rolleyes:

CZowner07
January 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
That sounds like the type of club I'd like to be in. The one I hunt in now (not a member but it's an in-law family club) just shoots whatever they see for the most part. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the club right next to us lol. There moto is "its brown its going down," then they wonder why we kill more bucks then they do.

dzelenka
January 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
My first deer was one of those classic beginner story that you hear and instantly hate the guy. I was 18 and had been hunting and shooting for quite a while but I didn't know too much about deer hunting so I hadn't scored yet. My dad joined a club that had 2000 acres and about 20 members. Although it was filled with people he knew from New Orleans, it happened to be only about a mile from my farm in Poplarville, MS.

Openning day of the '78 season comes along and one of the members can't make it so the person with the lease (who was a guy I used to race cars with) told my dad to bring me. I had my .270 worked out with handloaded Sierra 130 gr Boat Tails and zeroed in for 300 yds and had been shooting all summer so I was quite confident I could make the shot. When I show up, I am the only guest and the only kid (I was 18) so naturally I ended up with the stand that no one wanted. It was at the T intersecton of a couple of logging roads with one of the roads going straght away for about 300 yds. I was ready for my long shot.

At about 7:30 am, I hear a noise behind me, look and shoot a pretty big deer at 15 steps from the base of my stand. The bullet hit the onside shoulder, penetrated and came apart in the heart/lung area (first and last time I used a Sierra on game). The deer dropped on the spot. After a while, the guy who put me out picked me up and carried my deer back to the camp.

It turns out that I was the only person to kill a deer that day. My deer was a very symetrical 12 point that green scored 143 points Boone & Crocket. This same group still has the land and to this day, 30 years later, that is the largest deer taken on the lease. It is also the largest deer that I have killed outside of Canada.

I was not the most popular guy there after that. It got worse the following year when I killed 4 bucks and my friends and family killed 90% of the bucks killed that year (we hunted more than we drank or watched football). On year 3, they made a rule that you had to be 25 to join the club and I was out. It was fun while it lasted. :D

Dan

CZowner07
January 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
My first deer was one of those classic beginner story that you hear and instantly hate the guy. I was 18 and had been hunting and shooting for quite a while but I didn't know too much about deer hunting so I hadn't scored yet. My dad joined a club that had 2000 acres and about 20 members. Although it was filled with people he knew from New Orleans, it happened to be only about a mile from my farm in Poplarville, MS.

Openning day of the '78 season comes along and one of the members can't make it so the person with the lease (who was a guy I used to race cars with) told my dad to bring me. I had my .270 worked out with handloaded Sierra 130 gr Boat Tails and zeroed in for 300 yds and had been shooting all summer so I was quite confident I could make the shot. When I show up, I am the only guest and the only kid (I was 18) so naturally I ended up with the stand that no one wanted. It was at the T intersecton of a couple of logging roads with one of the roads going straght away for about 300 yds. I was ready for my long shot.

At about 7:30 am, I hear a noise behind me, look and shoot a pretty big deer at 15 steps from the base of my stand. The bullet hit the onside shoulder, penetrated and came apart in the heart/lung area (first and last time I used a Sierra on game). The deer dropped on the spot. After a while, the guy who put me out picked me up and carried my deer back to the camp.

It turns out that I was the only person to kill a deer that day. My deer was a very symetrical 12 point that green scored 143 points Boone & Crocket. This same group still has the land and to this day, 30 years later, that is the largest deer taken on the lease. It is also the largest deer that I have killed outside of Canada.

I was not the most popular guy there after that. It got worse the following year when I killed 4 bucks and my friends and family killed 90% of the bucks killed that year (we hunted more than we drank or watched football). On year 3, they made a rule that you had to be 25 to join the club and I was out. It was fun while it lasted. :D

Dan

Kind of sounds like my season this year. except mine was a 208lb 8point. First day of the season 5:20PM he walked out. Dropped him at 125yards. This year it is still the biggest deer killed on our lease and the other leases around us. I'm on my dads membership because im still in college, so if your in school you can hunt on your parents membership and we get to kill 3 bucks between us two. We killed our bucks by Christmas. Its killing my dad because he doesnt work the whole hunting season, he just hunts and now he can't hunt because he filled his buck tags.

dzelenka
January 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Mine weighed 225 lbs. The area surrounding our 2000 acres had alot of soy beans. It piled weight on the deer (and didn't hurt their antler growth either). That 12 pt had a layer of fat on him across the top of his hind quarters that was 1/2" thick. I hunted the property about 3 years ago pretty hard and didn't see anything over 6 points (nor did I see anything killed that was over 6 points). The surrounding land is now weekend getaways rather than working farms, and the club hasn't made up for the lack of protein with plantings or supplemental feeding. No protein, no weight or antlers.

Sigforty
January 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Congrats Nick! Drink you some blood yet?

CZowner07
January 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Mine weighed 225 lbs. The area surrounding our 2000 acres had alot of soy beans. It piled weight on the deer (and didn't hurt their antler growth either). That 12 pt had a layer of fat on him across the top of his hind quarters that was 1/2" thick. I hunted the propert about 3 years ago pretty hard and didn't see anything over 6 points (nor did I see anything killed that was over 6 points). The surrounding land is now weekend getaways rather than working farms, and the club hasn't made up for the lack of protien with plantings or supplemental feeding. No protien, no weight or antlers.

Mine had 1/4 to 1/2" of fat on the whole body, but he was short. He was eating VERY good.

BradS
January 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Congrats Nick! Drink you some blood yet?

No but

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Sixliterhd/IMG00224.jpg

:p

Manimal
January 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Congrats!

I still havent gotten my first one...god I cant stand public land, and I never took nastynewt up on his offer to hunt at his place...feel guilty b/c I havent had time to help him work the land. :(

BAH!

LongRange...this is why that game meat means so much to me, lol.