PDA

View Full Version : What's the most training you've received to date?

leadslinger972
January 10th, 2018, 12:16 PM
How much training have you received since you started carrying a firearm?

Ritten
January 10th, 2018, 01:51 PM

The most training I've received to date is all of the training I've had since I was 8yrs old. Not quite sure how I could have received less, but that's definitely the most.

bigtattoo79
January 10th, 2018, 01:58 PM

(Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.

AustinBR
January 10th, 2018, 02:04 PM
~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.

bigtattoo79
January 10th, 2018, 02:10 PM
~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.

That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?

leadslinger972
January 10th, 2018, 02:14 PM
(Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.

Formal training would be attending a class.
Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.

bigtattoo79
January 10th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Formal training would be attending a class.
Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.

I’m gonna get in at least 4 classes this year. Next year I plan to bump that up as I should have more time in 2019.

AustinBR
January 10th, 2018, 02:20 PM
That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?

It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.

bigtattoo79
January 10th, 2018, 02:25 PM
It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.

Cool. I’ve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but that’s not the priority right now.

leadslinger972
January 10th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Cool. I’ve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but that’s not the priority right now.

VATA and Advantage Group have the most courses during the year. NOLATAC has had a bunch of big names come through last year. Most notably, they had Bob Vogel come do a class. This year they have Bill Blowers, John McPhee, and Kyle Defoor coming down here.

Doctor481
January 11th, 2018, 06:38 PM
3 classes of *advanced pistol* with Gordon Hutchinson for church carry certificate.
3 classes with Advantage Group - Pistol 1, Carbine 1 and Shotgun 1.
1 refresher clinic with Advantage Group at FRC on *Draw from concealment*.
Big thing is to practice drills that were presented as often as possible, if you don’t use it you loose it. Most ranges don’t allow the gun handling/techniques that are beneficial for self defense. Helps having acreage and a home range.

West
January 11th, 2018, 07:45 PM
2 classes with VATA. Intro tact pistol and tact pistol 1. Absolutely positively makes you a better shooter.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

AustinBR
January 11th, 2018, 08:43 PM
3 classes of *advanced pistol* with Gordon Hutchinson for church carry certificate.
3 classes with Advantage Group - Pistol 1, Carbine 1 and Shotgun 1.
1 refresher clinic with Advantage Group at FRC on *Draw from concealment*.
Big thing is to practice drills that were presented as often as possible, if you don’t use it you loose it. Most ranges don’t allow the gun handling/techniques that are beneficial for self defense. Helps having acreage and a home range.

It looks like I will be doing 2 or 3 Advantage Group classes in the coming months.

CavalryJim
January 11th, 2018, 08:47 PM
24 years in the U.S. Army to include combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Multiple visits to the Infantry School, Armor School, and maneuver training centers.

Magdump
January 11th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Qualifying with my local sheriff department for coroner duty years ago and a few trips to Thunder Ranch over the years is about it

DH Vidrine
January 11th, 2018, 09:45 PM
US Army Marksmanship Unit's Small Arms Firing School.

saintsfan
January 12th, 2018, 09:40 AM
VATA
Intro, Pistol 1 &2, Intro Carbine & Carbine 1, Vehicle CQB. Hope to get in some med classes this year.

bigtattoo79
January 12th, 2018, 04:20 PM
VATA
Intro, Pistol 1 &2, Intro Carbine & Carbine 1, Vehicle CQB. Hope to get in some med classes this year.

I’ve done the med class with Advantage Group and couldn’t be more pleased.

freedive10
January 17th, 2018, 11:02 AM
The correct answer to this is, “Never Enough”. Shooting is a degrading skill and has to be constantly practiced correctly.

JB-Glock21
January 17th, 2018, 11:52 AM
The correct answer to this is, *Never Enough*. Shooting is a degrading skill and has to be constantly practiced correctly.

Yep! This Clearly Demonstrates the saying..."It's what you learn after you know it all that is most important!"

Slalom.45
January 17th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I'm right at 100 hours over the past 5 years.

Gunfighter 1-2 and medical with Advantage
Tac pistol 1, Advanced Concealed carry, intro to carbine, and Tac carbine 1 with VATA
A week with Mike Seeklander for competitive pistol.
A one day private group class here in Laffy.

Going to a Stoeger class next month and realize that I badly need to add some combatives this year. I also completely agree that the more I learn the less I realize I know...

xduser504
January 17th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Are there any courses that cost under the $100 mark in the New Orleans area? Seems to me that most courses are fairly expensive, I could be wrong. I would love to go to some, but really dissuaded by the high costs. I know you pay for what you get but it almost seems better to just spend the money on more range trips. Any input?

leadslinger972
January 18th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Are there any courses that cost under the $100 mark in the New Orleans area? Seems to me that most courses are fairly expensive, I could be wrong. I would love to go to some, but really dissuaded by the high costs. I know you pay for what you get but it almost seems better to just spend the money on more range trips. Any input?

There are courses in the $100-150 range often. Every now and then, there are courses below $100 at a special rate.

The next class I'll be attending is right around $450 to go for the day.

AustinBR
January 18th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I just signed up for the Advantage Group 2 day class at FRC for $400. Anyone else coming?

http://advantagegrouptraining.com/event/home-defense-tactics/?instance_id=497

Sig66
May 29th, 2018, 06:53 PM
My wife and I did Intro to Tac Pistol in December '16 with VATA, and a private with Nick @ Phobos Solutions, along with their 'Pistol Skills Proficiency' (drills only) course ($100). We'll be doing another course with Phobos August 5th at NOLATAC, which has become their home range.

IMHO, if you are smart, and carry a gun, formal training should be at the top of your list! Owning lots of guns, does not equate to truly knowing how to use them. I shot my first IDPA match on Sunday, just to see what it was like, not because I'm good. I had no idea what to expect, but it was so much fun, I will definitely be doing this as much as I can. My primary interest is improving my pistol skills for CCW, and the IDPA revolves around that type of shooting, highly recommended. NOLA Shooting Sports has a monthly match at NOLATAC, I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

flamatrix99
May 30th, 2018, 03:36 AM
Only class other then CC classes for my CCW was Gunfighter 1 that I took took several years ago. I am currently in a pretty intensive training program at work to earn a Senior Reactor Operator license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. That will be over the first week in August. After that I was considering taking Gunfighter 1 again with Advantage Group.

LACamper
May 30th, 2018, 05:12 AM
4 ccw classes. Vata's intro to carbine. Some private coaching.

Martial arts: 400+ hours in the last three years of shorin ryu.

AustinBR
May 30th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Only class other then CC classes for my CCW was Gunfighter 1 that I took took several years ago. I am currently in a pretty intensive training program at work to earn a Senior Reactor Operator license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. That will be over the first week in August. After that I was considering taking Gunfighter 1 again with Advantage Group.

You should take GF 2 as well - great classes!

BDill
May 31st, 2018, 05:48 AM
I'm right at 100 hours over the past 5 years.

Gunfighter 1-2 and medical with Advantage
Tac pistol 1, Advanced Concealed carry, intro to carbine, and Tac carbine 1 with VATA
A week with Mike Seeklander for competitive pistol.
A one day private group class here in Laffy.

Going to a Stoeger class next month and realize that I badly need to add some combatives this year. I also completely agree that the more I learn the less I realize I know...

What did you think about the advanced Concealed Carry VATA course? this is one i've had my eye on recently.

Slalom.45
May 31st, 2018, 10:00 AM
It was good. This is especially true if you have only been to intro classes where you aren't allowed to draw from concealment. Once the gun is out shooting is shooting, but actually having to draw and reload while dealing with cover garments in different scenarios is beneficial. The instructors had a number of suggestions on holster type, wear positions, and other user tips. We also did a bit of low light/night shooting which I had not done before. I would recommend going.

Cowboy55
June 10th, 2018, 08:55 AM
The only training I've ever had was back in the mid-1980s during weekly "fun" matches at an Atlanta metro range. The guy leading the matches was Claude Werner, who was a veteran. Claude set up IPSC/IDPA scenarios and taught us many skills: proper aiming, correct grips, use of cover, weak-hand shooting, reloading on the clock, etc.

I believe that was the start of Claude's training career. Today he can be found at: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

My suggestion for those of you looking for inexpensive training is two-fold: read the books by the master shooters like Ayoob, Cooper, Enos, etc.; and attend local IPSC/IDPA fun matches. You never know who might be leading those matches.

AustinBR
June 11th, 2018, 05:56 PM
The only training I've ever had was back in the mid-1980s during weekly "fun" matches at an Atlanta metro range. The guy leading the matches was Claude Werner, who was a veteran. Claude set up IPSC/IDPA scenarios and taught us many skills: proper aiming, correct grips, use of cover, weak-hand shooting, reloading on the clock, etc.

I believe that was the start of Claude's training career. Today he can be found at: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

My suggestion for those of you looking for inexpensive training is two-fold: read the books by the master shooters like Ayoob, Cooper, Enos, etc.; and attend local IPSC/IDPA fun matches. You never know who might be leading those matches.

I would suggest the exact opposite of what is suggested above. Reading books, internet articles, and etc creates bad habits. You can watch 1000 youtube videos on how to ride a bike, but it definitely doesn't translate into the ability to jump on a bike, balance yourself, and ride forwards.

Furthermore, skills such as using a weapon in a self-defensive manner are very minute and will be tough to pick up on by individual practice without the aid of a veteran instructor. Simply watching or participating in shooting competitions does not translate to actionable skills like attending actual classes would. Oh, and many competitive shooters lack self-defense training and do not do as well as someone with specific training has.

Cowboy55
June 19th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I would suggest the exact opposite of what is suggested above. Reading books, internet articles, and etc creates bad habits. You can watch 1000 youtube videos on how to ride a bike, but it definitely doesn't translate into the ability to jump on a bike, balance yourself, and ride forwards.

Furthermore, skills such as using a weapon in a self-defensive manner are very minute and will be tough to pick up on by individual practice without the aid of a veteran instructor. Simply watching or participating in shooting competitions does not translate to actionable skills like attending actual classes would. Oh, and many competitive shooters lack self-defense training and do not do as well as someone with specific training has.

Let me clarify my post. I said read books by the master shooters like Ayoob and Cooper, NOT the Internet. Ayoob and Cooper are/were experienced trainers and you can learn a lot from their books.

But the Internet including YouTube is a crap shoot. Inexperienced shooters should not rely on the accuracy of the info presented there.

Second, I said attend fun matches that are run by IPSC/IDPA or even SASS members, NOT individual practice. Many skilled shooters attend these matches and are very willing to help newbie shooters learn correct gun handling.

Individual practice is very important but learn the basics first, from books and fun matches; this is the inexpensive way tolearn.

If you can afford training, absolutely do it.

And always, be safe and have fun shooting!

butaford
July 3rd, 2018, 07:00 PM
Going to take intro to tactical carbine and tactical carbine 1 at VATA later this year. For the guys who have taken the class, what equipment do you recommend for the classes. I have guns, what I don't have is chest rig, holster, belt, etc. Dont want to go with the wrong gear or buy a bunch of stuff I dont need.