PDA

View Full Version : is a .17 HMR a good hog rifle?

doeslammer4
October 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hey guys-- I first of all want to let you all know that I am a new member to the site. I am having fun reading all of the posts and discussions you all are having and I am liking the environment here. It makes me feel like home on the internet...

My question to you all is if you have had any experience in shooting a hog with a .17 HMR?

I have killed a couple of them with a .22 long rifle, and that does the job quite well. I purchased a .17 HMR a few months ago, and I love the rifle-- the problem is that I never shot a hog with it, so I don't have any experience in knowing what it will do to a big animal. I have shot a couple of rabbits, a couple of squirrels, but mostly blackbirds with the hollow point bullets. The squirrels are the ones that tore up the most...and that leads me to believe that if that round does that much damage to a squirrel, it should kill a hog.

Once again, thanks for your replies and happy hunting to all!

whbonney26
October 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Well......it will get the job done with a well placed shot. There are better guns for the job but I have seen them taken with .17HMR, .204, .223, .22mag and others.

oleheat
October 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
NO!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(inside joke)

Welcome, Curtis!! Glad to see you made it on here....

hunter5567
October 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
If you shoot them in the head it will work. My buddy's son shot one with a .17 and after a minute or 2 it dropped. Seen plenty killed with a 22 mag in the ear hole or about 1.5" above between the eyes on a frontal shot. Now if you get one after you I think you'd rather have a lot more power than a .17 to stop it. I shoot 45 Colt magnum loads in my Blackhawk with 260gr bullets around 1400fps.
I'tll blast through both shoulders and keep going.

SeventhSon
October 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
And I thought my Socom in 308 was just right.

AK shooter
October 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
NO!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(inside joke)

Welcome, Curtis!! Glad to see you made it on here....

What he said!

doeslammer4
October 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8EWl-3O3zQ

here's a link to what lead to my curiosity earlier. we caught seven hogs on labor day weekend back in september. in this clip, i'm shooting my ruger .22, and a well placed shot behind the ear heading out toward the opposite side of the skull is a kill shot every single time.

i wasn't wearing my glasses when i was shooting, so that's why it took me four shots... the youtube community wasn't kind to me missing the first three shots. like they are all pro's right????

doeslammer4
October 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
and buy the way guys, i appreciate the quick responses. i'm hoping to trap one soon so that way we can see what it really does to a hog...

Leopardcurdog
October 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Geez dude, ya gotta be kidding me. That is too stupid to even comment on.

hunter5567
October 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Geez, I didnt know you was shooting them at point blank range. Next time try putting a peanut on the end of the gun barrel. lmao

charlie12
October 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Never shot a 17 but I'll ask my neighbor I think he has one. :)

Yrdawg
October 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
We shot a 300 # pen hawg last saturday with a .22

between the ees about 1 1/2 in up

dropped like a rock

as usual the slowest wit gets to run in and be designated juker, when jeanus jumped on to juke Porky woke up and it was on

Drug Jeanus in the pig mud (eewwwwwwww ) whopd him purdy good, finally he escaped and more shots did the trick

Bet next time the shooter will accept my offer of the .40 ...not "we always use a .22, it does a good job

.17 hmmmm maybe more muzzle energy but not enuff for me

I'm too old and crippled to chase the wild ones or to rassle the tame

SpencerSS
October 31st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hogs average bigger than whitetails and are tougher. That should give you an idea.

The reason 22WMR became known as the "hog gun" is WMAs only allowed hogs to be shot with firearms legal for game that was open season. WMAs were smallgame only for a long time, then had very short deer seasons until recently. The 'biggest' thing you could legally shoot small game with was a 22WMR, so that's what the hog hunters carried.

It's legal to shoot hogs with rimfires like the 17HMR. Its not the best thing to bagum consistently, but if you want to do it small, go for it, it will kill them. Use the FMJs or 20 Game point, and put it right behind the ear and it'll put a smile on your face.

doeslammer4
November 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
i'm liking your kind words of encouragement, spencer-- thanks!

and yrdawg, if you watched my video you can see that a .22LR does a great job.

SOLAteeda
November 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
YouTube on an iPhone sucks.

On a side note, when our class at LCI went to the slaughterhouse, we saw them kill pigs with a bolt gun. Used .22 blanks to drive a bolt into their head, which then was retracted with springs.

Yrdawg
November 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
i'm liking your kind words of encouragement, spencer-- thanks!

and yrdawg, if you watched my video you can see that a .22LR does a great job.

LOL.....ok, .22 does a great job

I prefer something that will allow at least a small margin of error

When I'm told that "we use a .22 cause its the way granpa did it" I think about stories about when guns and ammo were in short supply. My Pop used to tell me how the kids in his time were counted out .22's and held accountable for something to eat for every round ( He was a kid in the 1915 time frame )

Probably many hogs were shot with 22 cause it was availabe and cheep and the tradition continues and hogs suffer and then die cause of tradition

Just pop him inna head with a .40 , he falls dead and no show ( for a pen hog )

I don't shoot wild hogs with buck either, just too messy when you get 4 or 5 pellets in the thing. Slugs or 270 up

Hogs are good to eat, I don't mind shooting them but I do have a problem with anything suffering needlesly, or escaping wounded

oleheat
November 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I think a .17 would be okay if shooting a penned up or snared hog....If I had a choice, though, I'd rather a .22 WMR- especially if hunting & not trapping..... It's very difficult to get a perfect behind-the-ear shot on a free moving hog.
Of course, doeslammer convinced his skeptical uncle (yours truly) into getting a .17 over the summer- and it is a fun, flat shooting little rifle. So, I'm pretty sure we will learn soon enough how it works as hog medicine....:D

charlie12
November 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I think a .17 would be okay if shooting a penned up or snared hog....If I had a choice, though, I'd rather a .22 WMR- especially if hunting & not trapping..... It's very difficult to get a perfect behind-the-ear shot on a free moving hog.
Of course, doeslammer convinced his skeptical uncle (yours truly) into getting a .17 over the summer- and it is a fun, flat shooting little rifle. So, I'm pretty sure we will learn soon enough how it works as hog medicine....:D

I saw a coyote between your house and mine early this morning (about 0230) on Liberty rd. I stopped in the road and put my flashlight on him. He didn't seem scared he just stood and looked at me about 15 yards away then walked off.

He knew I couldn't shoot him there.:D

bayoupirate
November 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Let's be clear.

If you have to put down a hog in a pen and you can make a well placed shot to the skull or base of skull, that .17HMR will do a great job.

If you are taking to the woods to hunt for wild hogs, the .17HMR is a very very poor choice of weapon. END OF STORY!

I've read lots of other stories here, but read it again. Hunting Wild Hog with a 17HMR is a VERY POOR Choice.

Sure it's possible.
I know of a deer killed with a cheap 9mm 115gn fmj ball, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

There will be NO margin for error.
Unless you have the shot as described above on a hog, you'll be hunting unethically.
A 17 HMR will not deliver an effective and humane Kill shot on a hog in the vitals area.

Any other gun will drop a hog instantly with the head/spine shot described above as or more effectively as the 17HMR, but another choice of weapon will also allow you to take ethical shots to the vital of a hog, at distance, and quickly and humanely kill the beast.

SOLAteeda
November 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I agree that a larger caliber would be desires, but have always been told to try and get a headshot on a hog if possible. Considering the gristle plate, which would be the lowest caliber you would suggest for a heart shot on a wild hog?

bayoupirate
November 3rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Again here you will hear many opinions.

IMO I would not go hog hunting with anything less than I take to hunt the thin-skinned White-tailed deer.

Many have been taken with AR's in .223 and 243s. The Velocity of the bullet and using a well constructed "hunting" bullet will prove successful.
That's the smallest I'd consider ethical.

Handguns are popular for hogs too. Same criteria for me. Not enough for deer = not enough for hog. Min would be a hot .357, and most handgun hunters go for the .44Mag.

If you'll be hunting from the ground. A short easy to handle rifle/carbine may be your best bet. The old 30-30WIN in the closet may be your best friend. I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that is probably bordering on overkill, but if you've ever had a wounded hog turn toward you and charge. You'd probably agree that there's no such thing as overkill.

SOLAteeda
November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Growing up, I was always told just to always try and put the bullet either in the ear or behind the ear. I imagine that with a piglet it wouldn't much matter, but would a .223 pierce the hide and "armor" of a full grown hog? Seing as the only semi-autos I have are in .223, that is what I'm leaning towards taking if I actually manage to get a hog hunt set up soon.

Of course, I could always bring out my dad's .300 ultra mag and see what kind of carnage it makes :run:

onlyjourneyman
November 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I shot one last year and he only ran about 30 feet. Of course that was a "botched" shoulder shot with a .600 gr. .458 socom....There was a good blood trail---everywhere!!!

onlyjourneyman
November 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
OH---By the way doeslammer---Welcome from Walker, LA.....

oleheat
November 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Growing up, I was always told just to always try and put the bullet either in the ear or behind the ear. I imagine that with a piglet it wouldn't much matter, but would a .223 pierce the hide and "armor" of a full grown hog? Seing as the only semi-autos I have are in .223, that is what I'm leaning towards taking if I actually manage to get a hog hunt set up soon.

Of course, I could always bring out my dad's .300 ultra mag and see what kind of carnage it makes :run:

Yep. A .223 should work just fine- especially when it comes to head shots. If, when you say "armor", you're talking about the bony plate surrounding the rib cage, you may have a problem. If you want a body shot, I would shoot one a little further forward- much like a deer. If you can find soft-point ammo for your .223, I would use those before a FMJ round. After all- the Geneva Convention does not apply to hogs!! :rofl::rofl: Seriously, they'll probably make your blood trail a little shorter......It sounds like you're ready to me...:thumbsup:

SOLAteeda
November 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
What I was referring to as "armor" is the gristle plate. Anywhere from 1/4"-2.5" of high density fat.

A good head shot would avoid it though

doeslammer4
November 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
I started this thread to get opinions on if the rifle was sufficient or not, mainly because i usually hunt Red River WMA during 'the open rabbit season' when it is legal to take hogs. I know a .22 magnum will easily kill a hog, and a .17 HMR (which i invested in and love) flies around 400 FPS faster than the .22 mag. I wanted to know if anyone killed a hog with the .17 while squirrel hunting...because I would love to do so. Wild hogs are a great supplement to the hunting season!

K9Officer1
November 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I started this thread to get opinions on if the rifle was sufficient or not, mainly because i usually hunt Red River WMA during 'the open rabbit season' when it is legal to take hogs. I know a .22 magnum will easily kill a hog, and a .17 HMR (which i invested in and love) flies around 400 FPS faster than the .22 mag. I wanted to know if anyone killed a hog with the .17 while squirrel hunting...because I would love to do so. Wild hogs are a great supplement to the hunting season!

I have kille hogs with my marlin .17hmr on Sherburne twice. I ear shot both of them though. BTW Curtis, we need to hangout soon. I havent seen you since tht time at Logan's a while back,

doeslammer4
November 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
i'm all for it man-- i think we need to have a bon fire soon...

rpbayly
November 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
i thought you said a hog. that was just a penned up piglet. a sharp stick would kill him.

bayoutrigger
November 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM

The 17HMR doesn't tear up the squirrel?

doeslammer4
November 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
The 17HMR doesn't tear up the squirrel?

if you shoot them in the head, you won't have to worry about a thing:)

doeslammer4
November 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
i thought you said a hog. that was just a penned up piglet. a sharp stick would kill him.

well that was a 75 pound piglet. i'd love to see you kill that sow with a stick!:)

Ben Segrest
November 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Oddly enough, one of my best friends called me last night. He shot 4 hogs last night on his company's lease in texas. Said they were about 120#. All 4 were shot with a .17hmr. Head shots on all of them and they were all DRT.

doeslammer4
November 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Oddly enough, one of my best friends called me last night. He shot 4 hogs last night on his company's lease in texas. Said they were about 120#. All 4 were shot with a .17hmr. Head shots on all of them and they were all DRT.

how far away were the shots?

Ben Segrest
November 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
how far away were the shots?

I think he said ~50 yards

mnop308
November 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
With pigs, you never know. I hit one with a 308 and Barnes X and had to follow up. At about 10 feet, I made a clean chest shot, then it charged. 2 shots with 44 cal, 240 at 1200FPS right between the eyes did not drop him but did turn him until one right in the left eye made him fall over. Sometimes they are better bullet stops than a big old dirt berm, and sometimes they just drop over dead. I have taken them with my 45 ACP when they were right on top of me, and have seen them take hit after hit from my 308 and keep going.

Bring enough gun. I stopped carrying my 9mm when I go out to feed during deer season. Good luck to ya.