PDA

View Full Version : Deer Attractant?

local2fed
November 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I admit im not an avid hunter, but do enjoy watching deer in their natural habitat. I reside in a subdivision that borders on a heavily wooded area in which numerous deer reside. It's common for me to see 10-12 deer at one time along with several nice bucks. Last weekend I watched a nice 9pt chasing a doe in the woodline behind my house. What is a good way to place deer corn in the field in an attempt to bring them closer? Should I just place it in a bucket or do you sprinkle it throughout the field? Im not trying to hunt them, only to bring them a little closer to possibly take some pics or video. Thanks.

Bearco
November 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
deer like the corn on the ground. the more you spred it out, the longer it will last. you could use a feeder, but they will have to get used to the sound of it. being that it is at your house, i would just throw it on the ground. i have been trying out the synthetic corn (flex corn) over the past could of weeks, but they seem to favor real whole corn.

AK shooter
November 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Go to academy and buy a 50lb bag of corn and each morning spread a pound or two in the yard. It may take them a day or two to find it but they will.

CajunTim
November 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hang a 20oz bottle from a tree smothered in peanut butter

charlie12
November 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Don't feed them sweet potatoes you might to to jail. :)

owen502
November 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Just make sure you spread it around. Don't put it in a pile. It will either attract the crows, and the deer wont touch it, or it if it gets wet in a pile it will go bad. Just take about a gallon bag worth and spread it where you want the deer to go. After a few days they will find it.

ICEAGE
November 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I've had best luck putting 8-10 piles of corn in an area thats about the side of 4 parking spaces. (empty a 50lb sack to let you know the size of the piles).

I hear a lot about spreading it around, but if it rains (heh, this is Louisiana after all) the corn can sink into the ground.

I've seen both methods used at the hunting lease, personally, we've had better results with the pile method. When its spread around it doesn't get eaten as much.

misfire1
November 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Take a jar of peanutbutter take the top off screw it to a tree screw jar back on and then cut the bottom of of the jar. Bam instant peanut butter lick

LACamper
November 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
My mom's been trying to do the same thing. They live on the Natchez Trace and had deer in the neighbor's yard. With much effort and many sleepless nights, they show up a few nights a week. She's trimmed bushes to allow a path, arranged and re-arranged lighting, moved plants around, etc. She uses piles of corn a few feet apart to coax them to where she wants. They also like apples and acorns...